• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Nintendo 3DS System Headed West in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I have 0 desire to own this revision. Other than loading time improvements, none of the enhancements would apply to me. I don't care to play games in 3D because the effect lost its lustre a while ago. Why would I use the 3DS browser over everything else I own? The C-stick? Given the huge amount of 3DS units without an additional built-in stick, I imagine software utilizing that will only be slightly less limited than the amount that used the Circle Pad Pro.

They're not winning me over with exclusive software either. The only thing announced thus far is a shoddy looking Xenoblade port. I don't expect that to change dramatically either. DSi had a rather inconsequential lineup of software that took advantage of its hardware upgrade. That was when the industry still invested in dedicated handhelds too.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I have 0 desire to own this revision. Other than loading time improvements, none of the enhancements would apply to me. I don't care to play games in 3D because the effect lost its lustre a while ago. Why would I use the 3DS browser over everything else I own? The C-stick? Given the huge amount of 3DS units without an additional built-in stick, I imagine software utilizing that will only be slightly less limited than the amount that used the Circle Pad Pro.

Same thing for me, I haven't bought any of the 3DS, and I was monitoring the PS Vita and I don't have any plan to buy either the Vita or the 3DS at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Man if I had waited I could have bought this system for the same price. While it sports all these nice features, I'm sure one thing still exists IT'S STILL REGION LOCKED.

Despite the new 3DS being region locked, Nintendo's president has said in a interview he wanted to end the region locking of Nintendo console.

Then what are we waiting for? I mean do y'know how many good things I could have bought for my 3DS to make it more exciting? I don't know why they do this crap. First they leave it alone and then they want to mess up your day.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
I've been surprised by the negative reactions online about only the XL being released. I wish the XL had the exchangeable face plates but that isn't a huge deal to me. I much more prefer a larger screen. To be honest the main reason I'm upgrading to the new 3ds at all is for Xenoblade
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
Can't see any reason to upgrade until I get a better picture of what exactly we'll be getting in terms of exclusive content with this "new" 3DS. If this is a full blown next generation system I'll get it eventually but if this is just going to be necessary for a handful of ports and whatnot I don't see it being worth it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
@shamisen the great

Count myself as one of the folks online that was disheartened about Nintendo not debuting the Standard New 3DS to America. First off, while it's true that the New 3DS XL offers a bigger screen, its larger size reduces its portability- it won't fit most pockets unless one is wearing cargo pants or carrying it in a bag; plus, not everyone has hands big enough to hold it. Second, since the XL has the same resolution as the Standard New 3DS, its larger screen stretching the image will cause it to become pixelated (albeit slightly). Add Nintendo's announcement of not including the AC Adapter with the XL to all that and the reason for many people being upset about only the New 3DS XL being debuted in America should become clear.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Mr Oshawott -
That makes sense. I'm usually carrying my stuff in a backpack, but I can understand why the portability might be an issue for people. I don't have the best eyes so I that's why I like a bigger screen.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Add Nintendo's announcement of not including the AC Adapter with the XL to all that and the reason for many people being upset about only the New 3DS XL being debuted in America should become clear.

Clarification here: NONE of the NN3DS include an AC Adapter, in any country. Also, the US was the ONLY country to get an AC Adapter with the original 3DS/3DSXL, the rest of the world they'd already done away with it.

The 3DS/3DSXL/NN3DS/NN3DSXL all use the same adapter as the DSlite/DSi/DSiXL, so Nintendo figured that since most people were upgrading, they'd already have the adapter. If not, they're sold for really cheap. I heard Walmart sells them for $0.99.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
^
Well, if that truly is the case then, they just made that dumb move even dumber.

It seems that Nintendo must have overlooked the possibility that some of those customers that already have a 3DS/DS Lite/DSi/DSi XL may decide to sell it to make their money back so they can buy their newest upgrade of the 3DS, meaning that they will also have to part with the charger because not including it in the sale will cause the value of the earlier DS consoles to drop significantly.

Since the AC Adapter is necessary for the 3DS to work, there's going to be massive demand for it; as a result, the price is going to go up. Should the stores run out of 3DS chargers to sell, the customers are forced to either wait for a resupply (which could take weeks at best) or buy third-party chargers, in which the demand and price for them is going to rise. If one has to order a charger online, there's an added inconvenience of waiting for as long as two weeks before the owner will be able to play his/her favorite titles. So, yes, Nintendo's idea of forgoing the AC Adapter with the console is a really stupid one and speaks of a money grab.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2