• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KanColle [2015-01-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so it's more the fault of the site that hosts it (makes snese if they have limited resources) and that the people who make the game don't really have much of an opinion on region-locking.
Kaon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone confirm if this show gets dark... I carelessly searched up the historic battle ships in this show and some of their fates are pretty tragic.

I hope people don't start dying... Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Some of their fates are tragic? Pretty much all of them met some bad ends. The only major ship to survive the war was then nuked, twice. No telling whether or not the game/historic events will mean anything grim for the series or if it's a 'no one dies' approach.
Kaon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Some of their fates are tragic? Pretty much all of them met some bad ends. The only major ship to survive the war was then nuked, twice. No telling whether or not the game/historic events will mean anything grim for the series or if it's a 'no one dies' approach.

I didn't search them all up, but some have extensive wiki's about their service while others simply say they were sunk at such and such...

I just don't think deaths would mesh well with the light-heartedness of this show...

But I guess we'll wait and see.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Given Japan's currently in the swing of a huge nationalistic fervor I highly doubt they will portray any historic losses accurately if at all. It's also a point to mention that many of the enemy bosses are modeled after battles in the pacific theatre (and if what I read was accurate many are battles the IJN lost). So if your fearing any tragedy I wouldn't give it much thought after all the point of the game is to defeat these bosses with little casualty. At most it would probably lead to some contrived moment where the torpedo squad must save their battleship/carrier sempais.

EDIT: Of course the real tragedy is when they will have to kill the other Abyssal Bosses since they are the true best girls.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
I don't think having zero knowledge about the game makes a huge difference. I haven't played the game either, although I've watched some gameplay videos but even if with only a passing understanding of the game, I didn't feel completely left out of the show. Sure, there are several references and inside jokes I missed but it's not a dealbreaker. ( here's hoping the PS Vita version comes to the US)

So far the character designs and the action scenes (from ep1) are great. The music is pretty good too. On the other hand, the slice of life stuff, like in this episode, is pretty unremarkable at this point. Well, looking forward to next episode.

Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Given Japan's currently in the swing of a huge nationalistic fervor I highly doubt they will portray any historic losses accurately if at all.

Yeah, the historical accuracy of the show probably goes as far as ship specs and maybe some naval warfare tactics.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Given Japan's currently in the swing of a huge nationalistic fervor I highly doubt they will portray any historic losses accurately if at all. It's also a point to mention that many of the enemy bosses are modeled after battles in the pacific theatre (and if what I read was accurate many are battles the IJN lost). So if your fearing any tragedy I wouldn't give it much thought after all the point of the game is to defeat these bosses with little casualty. At most it would probably lead to some contrived moment where the torpedo squad must save their battleship/carrier sempais.

I take that back I did not call Kisaragi going down. Frankly with all the death flags in this episode I expected mutsuki to go down instead.

Kisaragi was complete fodder, she's not that great in game and she doesn't have much name recognition as a real life battleship, combined with complete meh screen presence made her going down kinda dull and I in fact laughed at the suddenness of it.

hell the first 2 reaction pics that I saw on danbooru were kinda comical

I am not sure how I feel about the trend towards seriousness. On the one hand I want them to delve deeper into this world and the characters maybe expand some of the prevelant fan theories into something brilliant on screen. On the other hand they started off with the slice of life moe fluff so I was kinda watching this as a junk food series. Combined with the rather ham-fisted execution it's starting to feel like many of those run-of-the-mill magical series trying to ape madoka, inserting dark series topics into something supposed to be cute without really knowing how to do so elegantly like madoka did.

Last edited by Plasmaeclipse on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow Japan is actually following events from history... And wow people are actually dying... 3 episodes though... seriously?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
If they keep the trend of following history, lots of important characters are going to die soon, and they'll have to be replaced by other girls or the cast is gonna get very small very fast.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
If they go that far with reproducing history they might as well reformat the anime to follow the abyssals because the kanmusu would lose eventually.

Course at that point it might as well be a parody, the little destroyer sharks are reformed into full fledged humanoid and the Abyssal ships are all named after USN ships.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even so, this is KanColle. Surely the writers wouldn't sink one of their fans' beloved ship girls, right?

Well, the thing is, almost nobody cares about Kisaragi. Frankly, doing this explains why they would put Mutsuki in the main group, another character that very, very few people care about. Though mainly because Fubuki's sister ships are completely absent so far for some reason.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Please see this post which lists the fate of all the RL ships that the women are named after. Only 3 survived the war; Kisaragi was the first to be sunk.

It doesn't auger well for the rest of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
I reeeaaaally doubt they'll sink all of the girls lost in Midway, that would require some massive cojones, so these girls are essentially historically accurate redshirts.
Enner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Dive bombers are dicks. As ham-fisted and dramatically clumsy Kisaragi's death was, I couldn't help but feel a bit sad.

On Paul Jensen's mild surprise to the sinking and calling it a bold choice: This is 20/20 hindsight, but having the element of death so early in the anime is being true to the browser game. To those who have browsed Nicovideo or Youtube for Kancolle gameplay videos, they will come across one where a fatal miss-click sends a beloved fleet girl to the bottom of the digital sea. Some laughing is had, then tears as the realization that all admirals are one mistake away from losing a ship (due to systems and mechanics, gaining levels is a time-consuming task and losing a high-leveled kanmusu can be devastating). In one the game's infamous early events (Iron Bottom Sound), it was a legitimate strategy to send in a fleet of sacrificial destroyers just to stop an event map's damage gauge from recovering.

I wish the show was more subtle in its drama and comedy, but that is a fool's wish given material and target audience. However, when I saw the fleet shift in to the diamond formation, my heart raced. When I saw the Type 3 anti-aircraft shells from the support fleet explode in a glorious pattern, I was thrilled. This show is a clumsy & skinny thing, but it delivers the hits that I want.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Please see this post which lists the fate of all the RL ships that the women are named after. Only 3 survived the war; Kisaragi was the first to be sunk.

It doesn't auger well for the rest of them.

I will be perfectly honest, I was avoiding this show since it felt like a show that would be overly saccharine and meander about with antics.

If they play up the tragedy of the ships a bit more and make the stakes heavier, I might actually get invested.

Still, I'm preparing for alt-canon doujins to be made where they all live since if they sink the more popular ships like Nagato, Kongou, and Shimakaze, I can expect a lot of outrage.

Edit: dang, you really love old navy stuff it seems. Well, everyone has something they are interested in that can be applied to anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8