• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KanColle [2015-01-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
As long as we're making a wishlist of ships to appear can we have Kiso please the rest of the Kuma class ships have already appeared why can't we have Kiso too.

I guess Ise and Hyuuga would be cool too But that's because I can't disassociate them from their role in the 4koma as spoiler[the instructors for all the destroyers]

spoiler[Oh well at least we;re getting more Kaga screentime next week and the 5th div girls too hell maybe they'll even give the 2nd div carriers screentime]

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10474262_916580885039014_6701714898832453353_n.jpg?oh=d3b8f72cfcab0ed24e9fd40b5a345464&oe=55603CDB
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
Who else can we completely ruin for Fubuki.

hmmm

spoiler[Beware spoilers for ships that have yet to appear, and Also some of the 4koma]

spoiler[We can scare the crap out of her with Tenryuu's chunni act and then REALLY scare the crap out of her with Tatsutsa's....just Tatsuta

Umm we can have the Fusou ship's horribly low luck

could probably make a few explosion jokes with either Mutsu or Taihou, honestly we could milk a ton of humor just using the 4koma's really rather dark humor regarding the various traumas about how their origin ships sunk AKAGI SWITCH 8D]
[/spoiler]
Kaon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Who else can we completely ruin for Fubuki.

hmmm

spoiler[Beware spoilers for ships that have yet to appear, and Also some of the 4koma]

spoiler[We can scare the crap out of her with Tenryuu's chunni act and then REALLY scare the crap out of her with Tatsutsa's....just Tatsuta

Umm we can have the Fusou ship's horribly low luck

could probably make a few explosion jokes with either Mutsu or Taihou, honestly we could milk a ton of humor just using the 4koma's really rather dark humor regarding the various traumas about how their origin ships sunk AKAGI SWITCH 8D]
[/spoiler]

The OP basically confirms spoiler[ Midway will happen...] so.... I'm not looking forward to that :S
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
....Damn I'm torn between America and Moe

spoiler[well I guess if one of the Wo-Kyuu's does it the american fandom can slap the name Enterprise on her and then I can both.]

(Minor game spoilers regarding future bosses)

spoiler[If it's the Carrier-Oni/Hime we'll still slap the name Enterprise on her because one of the fan-theories is that she represents the Yorktown-class if not the name ship itself

If it's the actual Midway-hime um well I guess she has a nice rack that's kinda like an American Otaku mindset too I guess]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
I personally found the new characters to be first actually interesting characters, most other characters just felt like shallow character types rather than a group that is interesting to watch. That there was drama mixed with comedy did not cause any conflictions with me, only makes me more interested, it is not like it didn't note all the drama.

Easilly the best episode with what had so far been very mild.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Game? ok! sounds neat, I enjoy the story of the anime so far and cant wait to get to watch more!

very interesting take on ships and naval combat!
Enner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
With regards to the browser game, it isn't an entirely awful idea to sortie a fleet of a destroyer, a fast battleship, two torpedo cruisers, and two regular aircraft carriers. It's just that the destroyer will be the weak link... unless it's a special destroyer with heroic stats!

It was perhaps foolish of me to have hoped for more, but I now resign myself that this series will be "just competent" for anyone not infatuated with what came before the animation. Oh well, the story is okay and I'm having a lot of fun. Things could have been so much more disappointing. *Flashes back to enjoying the Busou Shinki ONA and then watching the Busou Shinki TV series in its entirety week to week*

While CG animation for anime is rightfully derided, I am still finding it's use in Kancolle acceptable and makes for exhilarating action sequences. Then again, I kinda liked how Arpeggio looked, so maybe I have a high tolerance.

Hopefully Kaga, Zuikaku, and Kitakami get some time to express themselves. I agree that they have been given too little personality.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I found the pacing of the episode odd and uneven; the episode start with Nagato contemplating on serious matters regarding a future mission/sortie, and Mutsu worried about how Nagato takes all the weight of the critical decisions on herself. From there - a curry-making episode...

I get the idea of giving the Fleet Girls that little "calm before the storm", but it was done in a rather untasteful manner.

Animation-wise, I didn't noticed *that much* of a change, maybe the studio is keeping a "low speed" in this episode so they can "floor-it" for the next? I don't know. one also has to remember that Diomedéa has 4 shows running concurrently this Winter cour, so, when looking at the larger picture, it is easier to understand why the animation level isn't as it was in the previous episode or 2 (note: that doesn't excuse the studio, only makes the matter more understandable).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
They mentioned her, so where's my Tenryuu? Oh well, Yamato and hopefully Musashi next week.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They mentioned her, so where's my Tenryuu? Oh well, Yamato and hopefully Musashi next week.

Sorry, Admiral, but your shipgirl is in another ca... naval base.

But I'm more interested in thing that the writer of this episode quite strongly began to show the Abyssal Fleet as an allusion to the WWII Allied fleet. And if the spoiler[death of Kisaragi] in the third episode could still be attributed as the reference to the history of the Wake Island battle - the ability of Abyssal Fleet spoiler[to decipher naval codes of shipgirls (that's the real reference to the events before the battle of the Coral Sea)] and spoiler[damaged, but survived enemy aircraft carrier (the story of USS Yorktown)] is looks a little suspicious at that point.

Here it should be noted that the creators of the game in this regard not only to maintain neutrality of this, but also support very different theories about who the Abyssal Fleet is.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Sorry, Admiral, but your shipgirl is in another ca... naval base.

But I'm more interested in thing that the writer of this episode quite strongly began to show the Abyssal Fleet as an allusion to the WWII Allied fleet. And if the spoiler[death of Kisaragi] in the third episode could still be attributed as the reference to the history of the Wake Island battle - the ability of Abyssal Fleet spoiler[to decipher naval codes of shipgirls (that's the real reference to the events before the battle of the Coral Sea)] and spoiler[damaged, but survived enemy aircraft carrier (the story of USS Yorktown)] is looks a little suspicious at that point.

Here it should be noted that the creators of the game in this regard not only to maintain neutrality of this, but also support very different theories about who the Abyssal Fleet is.

You're correct on the history and the parallels to it in the show. spoiler[In fact, you could go even further - because what we also see in the latest episode is Shouhou on fire after being hit by dive-bombers - and in real life, the Shouhou was sunk at Coral Sea.] And that's where things get interesting - because they could be setting up for some very dark stuff to come.

Because if we've just had the Battle of the Coral Sea, then you need to remember what followed on from it. In tactical terms, the battle was a slight Japanese victory (they won on pure kill-count), but with hindsight, it was a clear strategic defeat. Not only was Japan forced to postpone its planed invasion of Port Moresby (perhaps alluded to in the episode by "Operation MO"?), spoiler[but the carriers Shoukaku and Zuikaku were not able to fight in the Battle of Midway a month later.]

Which means that, following the current pace, we can reasonably expect that the final eps of this 12-episode season are going to cover the Battle of Midway. Midway was a major allied victory with heavy losses for the Japanese fleet. So far, the show has followed a strict pattern of killing and injuring its cast in line with the WW2-timeline. spoiler[If this holds true for Midway, then of the characters we've met so far, we'll be losing Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu and Mikuma killed with Mogami badly injured.

Which would represent a near-unprecedented moeblob-massacre.]
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching and this is my most favorite show of the season. Every single shipgirl is lovable, especially Fubuki, who is probably trying to build a harem full of senpais. I think EP8 is the best episode so far. spoiler[Nagato's kuudere side was pretty cute.]
bhl88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Yamato's going to be the saddest ship if she sinks.
Enner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
Ah, Yamato. She has yet to join my fleet.

As far as fluff episodes go, episode 8 is a significant improvement over episode 6. A lot of cute character moments from a lot of ships. Also, a ridiculous swimsuit for Yamato that I kinda like.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Episode Review wrote:
The finished product has some entertaining moments and avoids doing anything stupid, which counts as a win in my book.

Pretty low bar there, isn't it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8