• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KanColle [2015-01-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
dude, it was a swimsuit episode, the only way to set the bar lower was if it was a rape episode.

Quote:
There's something delightfully inspired about a ship girl building a ship for another ship girl,

makes you feel like shipping them.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Pretty low bar there, isn't it?

maximilianjenus wrote:
dude, it was a swimsuit episode, the only way to set the bar lower was if it was a rape episode.

Honestly, B- is generous because this episode is a C+ at best. Kancolle has been an average show so far and this episode pretty much confirms it. You can't get more average than a beach episode.
Enner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
Not only a beach, but bath house sequences too!

(I'm not sure why you would talk about a grade difference of only one step.)

"Pretty low bar there, isn't it?"

Considering what has happened to other video game adaptions and shows based around otaku-centric toy lines, I can't help but imagine worse outcomes. As it is now, it's a pleasant, pandering show for me as a fan of the browser game.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She comes out of it a little taller, a little more mature, and with a fancier outfit and a bigger set of guns

you are talking about her boobs, right ?
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ugh I have to completely disagree with this review I feel like this episode is the epitome of everything that's been wrong with the series.

It really boils down to the fact that none of the plotlines flow together properly and the problems that arise never last beyond the episode.

Absolutely NOTHING in this episode was properly built to or foreshadowed.

What did Yuudachi actually DO to get her kai-ni. We're told she did a ton of morning training but what has she done beyond that? Is the secret to becoming an amazeballs ninja super destroyer really just jogging in the morning? How is her battlefield performance? What has she accomplished in the field? How did she get enough experience to Kai-Ni? Did she charge the battlefield without her equipment and suplex a battleship (I want to see this by the way)? They didn't even give us a throwaway line where they say her combat performance has increased. She pulled this transformation straight out her butt.

Why did they choose to disband mobile unit 5? No seriously why? Is Fubuki's command lacking? is it because of the Yamato incident? there's no explaination for this. Kongou says there must be a good reason but I can't even think of a BAD reason for it. Was it the incident with Kaga? cause that wasn't her fault if anything Kaga and Zuikaku should be punished because they act insubordinate and place the fleet in danger because of it. Is it because she made a bad call with Shoukaku? Because there she very quickly realized her own mistake and quickly salvaged the situation in the best possible manner hell they lost an entire carrier fleet to an ambush for Fubuki to escape with only 1 casualty spekas volumes of her command skill.
The situation with Yamato, yeah she defied orders but because she pulled her out on a tugboat they were able to intercept enemy fighters before they could do any damage. Every time she's made a mistake Fubuki has bounced back and recovered from it in the best manner possible. There's no reason to doubt her command

spoiler[The ending of the episode seems to imply he ordered her back so she could be remodeled]. I mean there were specific orders for it so unless the admiral had a radical change of heart as he was getting bombed by the enemy I have to imagine this is why he called her back either that or he anticipated the bombing and thought Fubuki's plot shield would protect him. If that's the case disbanding Fubuki's fleet and recalling her home has to be the most inconvenient demoralizing method to bring her back.

None of the previous plot points have factored into the character's motivations in any way. Kisaragi's death has seriously been the most pointless plot point. What was presented as a somber traumatic moment for the characters is never brought up again past it's episode.

The most enduring piece of plot and character development has been Kaga and Zuikaku's rivalry and even that has amounted to nothing. The issue came to a head in episode 7 and the issue was basically resolved (dropped more like) at the beginning of episode 8.

Really this episode exposes how safe they've been playing things. The writers seem afraid of long term consequences. Yuudachi's motivation is tied only to Fubuki. She sees how good Fubuki has been doing and wants to emulate her. This in spite of the fact that a close ally, Kisaragi, had been killed a few weeks ago. You would think that having a close friend and ally die in combat would seriously affect Yuudachi and motivate her to push above and beyond what is asked of her so she can protect those close to her. But no as far as the writers will tell us it's only to catch up with Fubuki, Kisaragi's death has no influence on this whatsoever.

Fubuki losing her command could have been her darkest moment. It really makes no sense but if we ignore that it could have led to more character development. This could have been rock bottom for Fubuki. She's lost her command, she loses all confidence and when she trudges back home to the naval district it gets destroyed. This would leave her completely crushed she has no idea what to do anymore and we could show how her relationship with her fleet has progressed by having them restore her confidence. Instead Fubuki sees how hard Yuudachi is working and suddenly perks up again. In fact she's going to be remodeled so she'll be even awesomer. There have been no consequences to this plot point.

Losing the admiral could have been a huge moment. The chain of command is thrown into complete disarray, moral is in the toilet, Nagato really has to struggle and show her own leadership qualities to get everyone in line. Instead Nagato holds up a magic notebook and says it had all of the admirals orders. The chain of command is intact, moral is fine, and they're all geared up for a counterattack. There have been no consequences.

Also this has nothing to do with my critcism of the series but spoiler[Fubuki's nightmare sequence sent me into a rage I hate that trope so much it's always completely on point, hamfisted and entirely silly. The rock-bottom nightmare sequence should be banned from writing I hate it so much]

EDIT: I forgot they totally did not animate the bombing of the naval district I was so cheesed by that. They keep teasing us with the possibility of Wo doing something awesome and then they never deliver. Last time the standard version got blown up before it could even shoot its load and the Flagship version only shot down a few fighters before being shot in the face. Now Black Wo-ck shooter comes back for revenge and her rampage of destruction was completely off screen. I wanted to see the naval district get torn apart by fire bombs dammit
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Enner wrote:
Not only a beach, but bath house sequences too!

(I'm not sure why you would talk about a grade difference of only one step.)

"Pretty low bar there, isn't it?"

Considering what has happened to other video game adaptions and shows based around otaku-centric toy lines, I can't help but imagine worse outcomes. As it is now, it's a pleasant, pandering show for me as a fan of the browser game.

My bad, I meant C-, lol. But yeah, it's like the producers had a checklist of things that had to be included in the show. Beach episode? check, bath sequence? check, lolis? check. Kancolle isn't horrible by any means, but it's not that memorable either.
DragonirTheSage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Ugh I have to completely disagree with this review I feel like this episode is the epitome of everything that's been wrong with the series.

It really boils down to the fact that none of the plotlines flow together properly and the problems that arise never last beyond the episode.

Absolutely NOTHING in this episode was properly built to or foreshadowed.

Why did they choose to disband mobile unit 5? No seriously why? Is Fubuki's command lacking? is it because of the Yamato incident? there's no explaination for this. Kongou says there must be a good reason but I can't even think of a BAD reason for it. Was it the incident with Kaga? cause that wasn't her fault if anything Kaga and Zuikaku should be punished because they act insubordinate and place the fleet in danger because of it. Is it because she made a bad call with Shoukaku? Because there she very quickly realized her own mistake and quickly salvaged the situation in the best possible manner hell they lost an entire carrier fleet to an ambush for Fubuki to escape with only 1 casualty spekas volumes of her command skill.
The situation with Yamato, yeah she defied orders but because she pulled her out on a tugboat they were able to intercept enemy fighters before they could do any damage. Every time she's made a mistake Fubuki has bounced back and recovered from it in the best manner possible. There's no reason to doubt her command

spoiler[The ending of the episode seems to imply he ordered her back so she could be remodeled]. I mean there were specific orders for it so unless the admiral had a radical change of heart as he was getting bombed by the enemy I have to imagine this is why he called her back either that or he anticipated the bombing and thought Fubuki's plot shield would protect him. If that's the case disbanding Fubuki's fleet and recalling her home has to be the most inconvenient demoralizing method to bring her back.

1.One plotline does flow together properly and the problems that arise last beyond the episode its from. Something in this episode was properly built to or foreshadowed.
What I'm talking about is that abyssal ship that bombed the naval district. That same ship is the one Fubuki defeated at the end of episode 7. You can tell because it has the same eye that Fubuki damaged. At the end of episode 7 it looked at Fubuki with anger like it wanted revenge on Fubuki. That's foreshadowing. A plotline is coming up in the next episodes that from this episode. Wheres the admiral?
2.Why did they choose to disband mobile unit 5? Fubuki had to come back so she could be remodeled. The resources to remodel her were at the naval district. But then why did they have to disband the mobile unit. The answer is because Fubuki was part of the group. You cant have and incomplete mobile unit. The mobile unit was going to be brought back in to action once Fubuki went back to the island after she was remodeled.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
They seem to have broken slightly with the historical sequence of events from WW2's Pacific Theater (which the show has followed very closely to date). There were no carrier raids of note on Japanese land installations between Coral Sea (episode 7) and Midway.

Though the Yorktown, which fought and was damaged at Coral Sea, did raid the Gilbert and Marshal Islands shortly before Coral Sea. Yorktown went down at Midway - so if, as I originally suspected, the series finale is going to be a Midway equivalent - that would mean that our recurring Abyssal is probably Yorktown-chan and that she's going to get sunk in the last episode (but take a good chunk of the main cast with her).
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
DragonirTheSage wrote:

1.One plotline does flow together properly and the problems that arise last beyond the episode its from. Something in this episode was properly built to or foreshadowed.
What I'm talking about is that abyssal ship that bombed the naval district. That same ship is the one Fubuki defeated at the end of episode 7. You can tell because it has the same eye that Fubuki damaged. At the end of episode 7 it looked at Fubuki with anger like it wanted revenge on Fubuki. That's foreshadowing. A plotline is coming up in the next episodes that from this episode. Wheres the admiral?
2.Why did they choose to disband mobile unit 5? Fubuki had to come back so she could be remodeled. The resources to remodel her were at the naval district. But then why did they have to disband the mobile unit. The answer is because Fubuki was part of the group. You can't have and incomplete mobile unit. The mobile unit was going to be brought back in to action once Fubuki went back to the island after she was remodeled.

1) Great exactly One of the 3 plot points this episode has been established. The most consistent and enduring character arc so far has been for the villain who can't even talk. I really don't think I should be feeling more sympathy for the mindless villain than the main character (I do by the way that Wo-class has legitamate grievances with the naval base). The current conflict is carrying to another episode but the character development isn't. Fubuki's problems were resolved this episode and if next time she were to suddenly get cold feet about her command it wouldn't make sense. The actions the characters take are carrying over but their motivations and arcs aren't. The only thing that might survive to the next episode is Kaga and Zuikaku's relationship and the way that played out I feel like the writers basically threw it out. The loss of the admiral has no visible effect on moral or the chain of command. They're all gung ho about the counterattack. I maintain that no long term consequences have been established

2) In hindsight that is true but this now raises the legitimate question why didn't the admiral just say that? Was it that hard to tell Fubuki "You're being remodeled, We used all our resources remodeling Yuudachi so you will have to return to the naval district your fleet will be suspended until the procedure is complete" There a clear cut message that lays out exactly what will happen with no room for misinterpretation. Instead the message he sends basically amounts to "you're fired, go home" How would any competent commander think that disbanding a team and telling them to go home would be interpreted in any ways besides "you suck go home". Especially since Nagato tells her this immediately after promoting a Yuudachi to a position Fubuki always wanted (shouldn't these kinds of orders be given on an individual basis by the way what the hell Nagato). This conflict was completely contrived and specifically constructed so that Fubuki could come to no other conclusion than she was being fired. It's bad writing.
DragonirTheSage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
DragonirTheSage wrote:

2.Why did they choose to disband mobile unit 5? Fubuki had to come back so she could be remodeled. The resources to remodel her were at the naval district. But then why did they have to disband the mobile unit. The answer is because Fubuki was part of the group. You can't have and incomplete mobile unit. The mobile unit was going to be brought back in to action once Fubuki went back to the island after she was remodeled.

1) Great exactly One of the 3 plot points this episode has been established. The most consistent and enduring character arc so far has been for the villain who can't even talk. I really don't think I should be feeling more sympathy for the mindless villain than the main character (I do by the way that Wo-class has legitamate grievances with the naval base). The current conflict is carrying to another episode but the character development isn't. Fubuki's problems were resolved this episode and if next time she were to suddenly get cold feet about her command it wouldn't make sense. The actions the characters take are carrying over but their motivations and arcs aren't. The only thing that might survive to the next episode is Kaga and Zuikaku's relationship and the way that played out I feel like the writers basically threw it out. The loss of the admiral has no visible effect on moral or the chain of command. They're all gung ho about the counterattack. I maintain that no long term consequences have been established

2) In hindsight that is true but this now raises the legitimate question why didn't the admiral just say that? Was it that hard to tell Fubuki "You're being remodeled, We used all our resources remodeling Yuudachi so you will have to return to the naval district your fleet will be suspended until the procedure is complete" There a clear cut message that lays out exactly what will happen with no room for misinterpretation. Instead the message he sends basically amounts to "you're fired, go home" How would any competent commander think that disbanding a team and telling them to go home would be interpreted in any ways besides "you suck go home". Especially since Nagato tells her this immediately after promoting a Yuudachi to a position Fubuki always wanted (shouldn't these kinds of orders be given on an individual basis by the way what the hell Nagato). This conflict was completely contrived and specifically constructed so that Fubuki could come to no other conclusion than she was being fired. It's bad writing.

1.I get what your saying about no consequences.

2.Yep. Bad writing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@ Plasma, you probably should chill out because KanColle was never even trying to be some sort of "great new story of the ages", it has been written with pretty much the same level of writing as most other Magical Girl Warrior series that have come out within the past decade, in that regards it has been effectively a success for narrative quality even if it has been "simple".
hell your rather loud negative reaction means that you had to put some level of investment into the series else any other viewer wouldn't have bothered to express how "this show is completely underwhelming".
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
@ Plasma, you probably should chill out because KanColle was never even trying to be some sort of "great new story of the ages", it has been written with pretty much the same level of writing as most other Magical Girl Warrior series that have come out within the past decade, in that regards it has been effectively a success for narrative quality even if it has been "simple".
hell your rather loud negative reaction means that you had to put some level of investment into the series else any other viewer wouldn't have bothered to express how "this show is completely underwhelming".

That's not an excuse for bad writing. Of course I have an investment in the story I have an investment in everything I watch if I didn't I wouldn't watch it. The story seems divided between trying a serious story and being a light hearted romp. So instead of doing one or the other it just does both poorly. It's frustrating because there are elements for a better story to be told but it feels like the writers didn't have the guts to take that step and gave us a mediocre story instead
Enner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

My bad, I meant C-, lol. But yeah, it's like the producers had a checklist of things that had to be included in the show. Beach episode? check, bath sequence? check, lolis? check. Kancolle isn't horrible by any means, but it's not that memorable either.

Indeed.
It's a crutch and a broken record for me to say this, but I dreaded that this show would be unsalvageable wreck of a tie-in show. That it is a competent show and something I excitedly look forward each week is a victory in my eyes.

Concerning Episode 9, I felt that the episode fell flatter for me compared to Paul Jensen's review. While it was great to see an episode about Yuudachi Kai-2 as she is a great destroyer in the browser game, the proceedings were lackadaisical for what is a critical moment in the game and what should have been one for the show. That we get a 2nd remodel that greatly improves the offensive capability of Yuudachi and don't get to see her fight in the same episode is a mistake in my eyes.

Many of Plasmaeclipse's criticisms seem to be rooted from my and other's observations that the show has multiple masters to serve and has decided to mostly take a safe, middle road. It's a shame.

As for the inexplicable actions of the show's Admiral, I've already concluded that we have a Shit Admiral ever since the Admiral got Kisaragi sunk. :p
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Abyssal attack took the plot in an exciting direction, but it also undid much of the buildup that the series went through earlier in the season. With the island base apparently abandoned, there's a whole new battle plan for everyone to sort through. Much as the fleet girls have to repair their shipyard, the show now has to set the stage for a slightly altered final showdown.

This, at least, fits with the historical timeline they're following. The real-world Operation MO came unraveled after the Battle of the Coral Sea. The longer-term Operation FS was postponed after Coral Sea and then cancelled after Midway made it impossible to implement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_FS

Still think there's at least a chance of a Kill 'Em All finale based on Midway. Would make having endured through some of the duller episodes feel a bit more worthwhile. Twisted Evil
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's because of that obvious potential that the show's missteps are so frustrating. Watching this series feels like watching someone try to push a door open when the sign clearly says “pull.” It's putting in an admirable effort, but a little more forethought would make the job a lot easier.

^ This this right here. Clearly the issues bother me more than the reviewer (if my rant last week didn't make that obvious). But whatever last week burnt me out and I'm a little more mellow this week.

Another solution to the admiral issue is to just make her female if they REALLY wanted to avoid a male presence but given the constant writing problems I seriously have to wonder if the writers even considered that.

I agree the stuff with Mutsuki was actually quite well done, OH MY GAWD THEY ACKNOWLEDGED KISARAGI IS DEAD I WAS SO HAPPY I ATE A KLEENEX. Where I started to get pissed again was when Fubuki started talking about her conversation with the admiral. I think we hit cliche critical mass when she said he had a dream about her arrival.

I thoroughly disagree with the decision to spoiler[make Fubuki Akagi's escort.] I feel it undermines her previous development and kinda undercuts the importance of mobile div. 5 spoiler[not to mention Yuudachi who was also made an escort. Isn't going from Flagship to escort a bit of a DOWNGRADE? I know she really wanted the job but come on you could have stood next to Akagi as a LEADER isn't that even more prestigious than being a follower? I kind of wish Kaga came to oppose Akagi's decision on the grounds of wanting to keep Fubuki flagship. It really would have given us a sense that Fubuki brought everyone together and gave them a sense of camaraderie ]

Oh well I guess I should resign myself to this being poorly written. We're at the climax so I might as well just tone out this boring talking stuff and watch the explosions rain
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8