• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Isao Takahata & Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Nominated for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
That gives GKids 2 out of the 5 nominees. They're becoming the go-to distributor for auter films to round out the Best Animated category.

Princess Kaguya
Song of the Sea (from the staff of Secret of Kells, a previous Oscar nominee 2010)

With no Lego Movie and inclusion of Box Trolls, interesting spread this year.

Tenchi wrote:
GATSU wrote:

It may not have been eligible.

Arietty was a 2010 film in Japan but didn't get a North American release until February 2012. Had Disney opted to give it an Oscar run, it could have been eligible for either 2010 or 2011, and I was surprised they didn't give Arietty a week in Los Angeles at the end of 2011 (especially since 2011 was a relatively weak field for animated films compared to some other years) even if the wider release was set for February 2012, but 2012 was past the calendar year extension the Academy gives for foreign animated films to be released in Los Angeles.

Disney left all of 2011 to the British Arrietty, its birthplace.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
unready wrote:
Spirited Away won because Disney campaigned for it, not because people in general liked the movie so much. I think the nomination is going to have to be recognition enough for Kaguya.

Do you have evidence for this?

Spirited Away was a Disney release in North America.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, that was a weaker year and the only competition would have been Rango. Also would have helped that the qualifying run comes at the end of the year, creating more fresh buzz. Maybe that killed Lego since it came out so long ago and the Academy has a short memory for that stuff unless they have a barrage of FYC screeners, which animated films do not.

Again, the Academy doesn't choose the nominees in this category. It was animation industry pros--actual animators--who do. They have a committee for this.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, that was a weaker year and the only competition would have been Rango. Also would have helped that the qualifying run comes at the end of the year, creating more fresh buzz. Maybe that killed Lego since it came out so long ago and the Academy has a short memory for that stuff unless they have a barrage of FYC screeners, which animated films do not.

The funny thing there is that Rango only came out a few weeks later in 2011 than The Lego Movie did in 2014.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I was stunned and elated to see Kaguya called out for that final spot.

After the ludicrous success of Frozen, there might be a mentality of looking beyond Disney and/or whichever animated film made the most money.

I'm glad Song of the Sea is also in the running. Dragon is probably the biggest competition for both.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
If Wind Rises lost out I can't see Kaguya doing any better as to me it doesn't come across as that well made in comparison or to me it looks more like storyboarding. Well they have to have something to reject in the list I guess.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
unready wrote:
Spirited Away won because Disney campaigned for it, not because people in general liked the movie so much. I think the nomination is going to have to be recognition enough for Kaguya.

Do you have evidence for this? Lilo and Stitch came out that same year. WHY would Disney allow their own movie(well, technically, Disney produced both films, so both are "Disney" in terms of production, but you know what I mean) to be beaten by another film? That and the reviews BEFORE the Oscar win show how your point holds little weight. For once, the Oscars were right, but anime fans NEVER seem to be happy. They always have to talk about "politics".

It happened with the Wind Rises, Disney will campaign a little harder for their own stuff over the stuff they merely licensed. In fact somebody may have posted this here before but it's clear the Academy doesn't give much of a care about animation link to story
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

In fact somebody may have posted this here before but it's clear the Academy doesn't give much of a care about animation link to story

Don't use that.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Princess Kaguya is the likely winner but I think it has a much better shot at winning than The Wind Rises did last year since there's no unstoppable juggernaut amongst the animated pic nominees for 2014.

Love Frozen or hate Frozen, it was an unstoppable juggernaut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Look, no offense, but How To Train Your Dragon 2 NEEDS to win this oscar.

The invention of the Apollo and PrEmo programs alone should earn this:

http://youtu.be/WXoCYmeaBlo

Without them, this scene would be impossible today:

http://youtu.be/sirolR_NVKM

Not to mention the HOLY SHIT battle at the dragon sanctuary. THOUSANDS of individual characters, and HICCUP FLIES DOWN INTO THE CROWD AND YOU SEE EVERY INDIVIDUAL PERSON DOING RANDOM THINGS AND CATAPULTS GOING OFF AND DRAGONS FLYING AND HOLY SHIT I HAD CHILLS. Meanwhile, Big Hero 6 was patting itself on the back for being able to combine enough features to get a few hundred (maybe close to a thousand) people walking around the city, that no one interacts with and the audience isn't going to notice.

Not to mention, they composed all the music with a live orchestra in a really grand sound room. I don't normally do scores on a soundtrack, but listening to HTTYD2 is like rewatching the film in your head. It's like flying in the sky on your own dragon. It's glorious.

Now, granted, I ADORED Big Hero 6. I am looking at getting a Baymax plush and I'd seen it 3 times at the theaters. However, How To Train Your Dragon 2 WORKED ITS ASS OFF to be what it was and DESERVES that oscar.
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
unready wrote:

Do you have evidence for this? Lilo and Stitch came out that same year. WHY would Disney allow their own movie(well, technically, Disney produced both films, so both are "Disney" in terms of production, but you know what I mean) to be beaten by another film? That and the reviews BEFORE the Oscar win show how your point holds little weight. For once, the Oscars were right, but anime fans NEVER seem to be happy. They always have to talk about "politics".
Lilo and Stitch was a Disney B-team film that wasn't expected to be the big movie that year. All of their money was being aimed at Treasure Planet, which didn't click with most audiences (but my god was it pretty) on top of that, John Lasseter and Chris Sanders don't get along, so you can see why he'd want to pull for his pal Miyazaki, instead.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely pulling for Princess Kaguya, but BH6 is gonna take this.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

In fact somebody may have posted this here before but it's clear the Academy doesn't give much of a care about animation link to story

Don't use that.

I too am getting really sick of people using that random sample as if it's supposed to mean anything. Do they think the Academy is decided by seven judges? Maybe the article should have specified that it's seven OF THOUSANDS, but fault also lies in the reader; only one commenter acted like an ignorant sunnvabitch but he still abstained. To tout that sampling as some kind of fact about the Academy, whatever grievances and issues we may have with them aside, really speaks to one's lack of reading skills and and critical thinking abilities.

Maybe we should expect Academy members to see more of these animated films, but they're not animation experts. They don't even see all of the year's Oscarbait films. They're not all movie critics or aficionados, some are just people who happen to work in Hollywood.
Bingal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Good. Takahata needs the recognition because his influence can't be denied. Hopefully he wins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4