• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Psycho Le Cému in USA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
So was I....I thought this column was going to be about anime. I mean, there's nothing necessarily wrong about straying from the main topic for an occasional column, but the second column and we're already not talking about anime anymore? That's not cool.

I thought a lot about making such a drastic deviation from the column's obvious focus (obscure anime) for just the second column, but the story was so interesting I couldn't resist.

I'll be back to anime next time, so chill. But I will tell you, we will be making frequent stops to live action land, as long as it's stuff that would be of potential interest to most anime fans.
RJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I have no objections about non anime topics being covered here, infact it makes the column all the more interesting. But Psycho le Cemu isnt unknown or obscure by any standards. They have one of the largest North American Fan bases for non anime related/non Jpop music.
TurboWasis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The DVD is available for sale on CDJapan's website: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=CRBP-10019&ref=myp.
There's even a part 2 of the DVD released just this year: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=CRBP-10032. It doesn't appear to have subtitles. Then again the listing for the first DVD says it doesn't have subtitles but one of the reviews mentions that the disc has subtitles. The second DVD is also available to buy from Yesasia.com: http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-videos/pid-1003998554/
Yesasia is another great website and they offer free shipping for both US and Canadian residents for orders over $25. Remember these are region 2 DVDs so make sure you find a way to play them first before you run out and purchase them.

Most of the bands releases are still available to buy: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=19829.

CDJapan is the best place to find all your Japanese music and DVD needs. I order from them all the time.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I clicked on the link to the Japanese store that you mentioned and... It doesn't work...

Fixed.

-t
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
RJ wrote:
But Psycho le Cemu isnt unknown or obscure by any standards.

Well, people have different standards for obscure... and to most regular anime fans (as in, people who just happen to see the article and read it), I'm guessing would find this to be obscure... The part about it being tough to find though, um, I'm kind of doubting since the guy up there was easily able to find it on CDjapan and Yesasia (usually the first places I look for imports). Also, I have found multiple ones for sale (and less money) on Amazon Japan, although, may not be as trustworthy as CDjapan if you buy them from sellers... buy at your own risk.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I've tried getting into this band numerous times but I just can't. I find their costumes hilarious, though. I wouldn't mind more music stuff posted on this site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
RJ wrote:
I have no objections about non anime topics being covered here, infact it makes the column all the more interesting. But Psycho le Cemu isnt unknown or obscure by any standards. They have one of the largest North American Fan bases for non anime related/non Jpop music.

I respectfully disagree. This qualifies as obscure. I have been an anime fan for decades and I even buy J-pop. I have never heard of them. Plus since they broke up if it wasn't for this column I would never have heard of them so good work.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Can we please not turn this column discussion into a referendum on whether or not you personally feel the show featured is "obscure" or "rare" enough according to your definition of the word?

I don't want this to become like The Click where 90 percent of the discussion threads were people telling Brian Hanson "why didn't you include show/channel X!!". There's plenty of things to discuss about this column otherwise.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
jendt wrote:
The DVD is available for sale on CDJapan's website: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=CRBP-10019&ref=myp.
There's even a part 2 of the DVD released just this year:

Thanks, CD Japan must have restocked. When I checked last week when I wrote the column, they were out of stock -- as were all of the other stores I looked at, so I assumed they were completely OOP. I reference the 2nd disc at the bottom of the article, but as I said, I haven't seen it.

As for those who argue this isn't obscure, I must disagree. I know PLC isn't completely unknown here, but the chances people have seen this particular video are far less than some of the titles on my list of obscure anime for the column.

The band is fun, but this really became a great video BECAUSE of what happened afterwards.
violetsquirrel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Getting back on topic somewhat...

kamidai wrote:
And all the people up in the front section doing the para para to Gekiai Merry-Go-Round along with the band....

Word of warning to anyone interested in looking up these guys: If you listen to Gekiai Merry-Go-Round, it will be stuck in your head for months. Also, if you manage to find the dance lesson video for it, you will have a sudden urge to break out into para-para whenever you hear it. It is the single catchiest song I have ever heard in my life Shocked
Kryse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure if you are still taking suggestions or not, but I'd suggest The Little Mermaid
I had it when I was kid but I sold it at a garage sale. I want it back!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Oh!! GEEZ, I remember this band! Back when I was starting to really get into anime, I read an article in some anime magazine about them and thought "wow, I wanna see this band live!" I'm really disappointed that they broke up--they sounded like a great band.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
violetsquirrel wrote:
Getting back on topic somewhat...

kamidai wrote:
And all the people up in the front section doing the para para to Gekiai Merry-Go-Round along with the band....

Word of warning to anyone interested in looking up these guys: If you listen to Gekiai Merry-Go-Round, it will be stuck in your head for months. Also, if you manage to find the dance lesson video for it, you will have a sudden urge to break out into para-para whenever you hear it. It is the single catchiest song I have ever heard in my life Shocked

my sentiments exactly! and trust me..doing parapara while driving is NOT recommended! Very Happy

I've got several non Jpop fans really interested in that song if nothing else.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I had completely forgotten about Psycho Le Cemu until this column but I almost immediately wondered why I hadn't heard about them since they used to be so popular (it seemed). Kind of a shame what happened since their success could have potentially allowed for more J-pop being available and groups doing tours over here.
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:01 am Reply with quote
I'm not suprised this didn't get as much attention and feedback as the 'Robot Carnival' feature.

I hope the next feature actually focuses on another lost anime gem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2