• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Four from Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the last year they've added a lot of strange titles from smaller publishers,

It's so funny. I JUST upgraded my Crunchyroll subscription this morning for that very reason. Talk about a timely review.

I've got nothing against mainstream, shonen titles, but I usually prefer seinen and josei. CR has a nice selection.

Please keep up the reviews. I am a bit overwhelmed at their selection. (That's a good problem though.)
RHorsman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I kept hoping for something really unusual from CR when their manga offerings started up, but so far it's been just okay. Like when Kill la Kill was going full throttle a number of people were comparing it to Sukeban Deka, which has never been released over here. Would have loved to see that pop up. Or any number of potentially cheap old licenses that wouldn't be worth printing.

Liking Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, though I guess that was a little controversial since some people thought CR was undercutting Seven Seas by pushing out multiple digital volumes at once.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but is there a way to create a manga queue on CR like you can create an anime queue? Thanks!
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I've found the service to be worth subscribing to for SEVEN DEADLY SINS, AND YET THE TOWN MOVES, and especially SPIRIT CIRCLE alone. Everything else is just gravy!

PS SPIRIT CIRCLE! Go read it.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I may finally try out Crunchyroll's manga subscription now that they are making it cheaper. They are adding the manga subscription into the regular (and slightly cheaper) Premium Subscription.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread here, but is there a way to create a manga queue on CR like you can create an anime queue? Thanks!

All they have is a "favorite" option so it is easy to keep track of what you are reading, but it doesn't bring you to the latest chapter. You'll have to click on each series and check manually for any new chapters. An actual queue would be nice though.
JR-1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
What's your phone Jason? Reading a manga on a typical 4'7" - 5' inch smartphone feels too cramped for me. I'm still torn between picking a 7' inch tablet or a 6' inch phablet since a 8'-10' inch tablet would necessitate me buying and bringing a larger handbag.

And does Crunchyroll accomodates smaller screen size (smaller than IPad size)? If yes, I might consider getting a subscription since I mostly read stuff on the go.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
jtron wrote:
I've found the service to be worth subscribing to for SEVEN DEADLY SINS, AND YET THE TOWN MOVES, and especially SPIRIT CIRCLE alone. Everything else is just gravy!

As the letterer for the bolded title, this is a happy thing to see :D I adore the series, and am glad it's reaching other fans too!!

I really enjoyed what I read of Spirit Circle as well; I just wish that its being available on CR didn't make it so highly unlikely to ever get a print release here... (go on everyone, buy SevenSeas' Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer release and prove the trends wrong!! :D)
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
jtron wrote:

As the letterer for the bolded title, this is a happy thing to see Very Happy I adore the series, and am glad it's reaching other fans too!!

I really enjoyed what I read of Spirit Circle as well; I just wish that its being available on CR didn't make it so highly unlikely to ever get a print release here... (go on everyone, buy SevenSeas' Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer release and prove the trends wrong!! Very Happy)

You people have good taste. I'm so ready to buy A Silent Voice when it gets it's print release this spring, but if I could purchase copies of Spirit Circle, And Yet The Town Moves, and maybe Space Brothers too, that would be pretty nice.

I'm also very interested in King's Game:Origin, which is consistently engaging. It's a horror/mystery series that anticipates reader's questions and gripes better than 85%-ish of the titles out there.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
As the letterer for the bolded title, this is a happy thing to see Very Happy I adore the series, and am glad it's reaching other fans too!!

Since you're an inside guy, do you have any idea what's going on with A Town Where You Live? It was one of the first titles CR put out, but after more than a year there are still twelve volumes missing and there hasn't been an update in months. There are a couple other series in the same boat (Coppelion and your title), but they're at least they're only missing a handful of chapters whereas with ATWYL it's half the series.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
lys wrote:
As the letterer for the bolded title, this is a happy thing to see :D I adore the series, and am glad it's reaching other fans too!!

Since you're an inside guy, do you have any idea what's going on with A Town Where You Live? It was one of the first titles CR put out, but after more than a year there are still twelve volumes missing and there hasn't been an update in months. There are a couple other series in the same boat (Coppelion and your title), but they're at least they're only missing a handful of chapters whereas with ATWYL it's half the series.

Sorry, SoreMachi(/And Yet the Town Moves) is the only series I do for CR, and as a freelancer I don't get an inside scoop on upcoming schedules or inner workings. So I don't know when they'll close those gaps, but SoreMachi v13 just came out in Japan this past September so I hope that one comes up soon! SoreMachi at least is pretty episodic (and the chapters are already intentionally written out of chronological order), so you're not missing much in the short-term by jumping ahead.

I totally understand and share the frustration with missing chapters/volumes though, especially when you're trying to support reading through the proper channels.
jtron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
jtron wrote:

I really enjoyed what I read of Spirit Circle as well; I just wish that its being available on CR didn't make it so highly unlikely to ever get a print release here... (go on everyone, buy SevenSeas' Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer release and prove the trends wrong!! Very Happy)

Seriously! I feel like SPIRIT CIRCLE is a classic-to-be, and definitely one that could reach people who don't read manga (or comics at all). I wonder if Comics Journal or similar have taken notice of it at all?
Maokun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Wait, were the girls in Gunslinger Girl actually androids? I seem to recall one of them having some sort of "augmentation" but other than that it was all psychological conditioning what made them ruthless and efficient killers.

Man, it's too bad that Murder Incarnation has all those shortcomings. The introductory paragraph detailing the premise of the story had me all going for it.

RHorsman wrote:
Liking Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer, though I guess that was a little controversial since some people thought CR was undercutting Seven Seas by pushing out multiple digital volumes at once.

I think LatBH is one of the best manga there is and gravely underrated even with its devoted cult following.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
I don't really have a subscription to Crunchyroll. So,I don't think I'll be able to read these manga. I don't know if these manga are in print anywhere so I can read them. I'd be interested in reading them but I'm unable to.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Maokun wrote:
Wait, were the girls in Gunslinger Girl actually androids? I seem to recall one of them having some sort of "augmentation" but other than that it was all psychological conditioning what made them ruthless and efficient killers.

The article said cyborgs, not androids. There is a substantial difference between the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2