• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Virtue of Curiosity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuScr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Maria-sama ga Miteru had a series of extras titled "Maria-sama ni wa Naisho" (Keep it a Secret from Maria). They weren't bloopers, per se--the ones screwing up/screwing around were the characters, not the voice actors--but they were presented as outtakes, complete with a clapperboard starting each scene.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
American programming has evolved thanks to cable and premium channels offering better content, which then forces the networks to even try out their hand at not sucking. I'm almost done with the fourth season of Boardwalk Empire and I of course watch Game of Thrones, so it's nice to have some genre content coming in the form of violent and sexual series programming.

For movies, I don't think it's SPECIFICALLY the cape movies that are hurting the system, they're often terrific tales with great moments and some do try harder at breaching other layers of thought and depth. No, I think it's the dumb PG-13ification of pretty much everything else, including all of your Harry Potter and other YA knockoffs.

Here's what I think the problem is: In movies the director is the guy in charge, and the writer is the hired help who can be discarded at any time; in television it's the exact opposite.

In light of that, why would any writer these days want to work on a film unless their ultimate goal is to become a director? Their script will be disregarded any time the director thinks he can do it better, or an actor doesn't like a line, or the producer wants to save five bucks. If they go into television instead, they get to participate in a collaborative process with other writers, and after a few years on a successful show they can become a producer with more power, and eventually a show-runner and creator.

The end result is movies nowadays are mostly written by hacks who follow the formulas found in crappy screenwriting books.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

For movies, I don't think it's SPECIFICALLY the cape movies that are hurting the system, they're often terrific tales with great moments and some do try harder at breaching other layers of thought and depth. No, I think it's the dumb PG-13ification of pretty much everything else, including all of your Harry Potter and other YA knockoffs.

You realize this is "well it can't be the blockbuster movies I like, it's definitely the blockbuster movies all those other idiots like."
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Regarding blu-rays,

Quote:
People demand uncompressed or lossless audio,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Audio

Quote:
For audio, BD-ROM players are required to implement Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS, and linear PCM.
BD-ROM titles must use one of the mandatory schemes for the primary soundtrack. A secondary audiotrack, if present, may use any of the mandatory or optional codecs.

I'm not sure if "people demand lossless or uncompressed audio" but Japanese titles seem to use linear PCM for the required audio format, which takes up the most space of any of the blu-ray supported audio formats.

Last edited by omiya on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm almost done with the fourth season of Boardwalk Empire.

Hope you don't go into the 5th season looking for it to properly tie up the 4th's loose ends it'll make the disappointment less harsh.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Think about that for a second. If Funimation put iTunes download codes with their discs, they would almost certainly be inundated with emails -- many of them weirdly angry -- from all of the fans who hate iTunes/Apple/everything that isn't a custom-built PC running Linux

As I am currently using a custom-build PC running Linux (Ubuntu 14.04), I got a kick out of that.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I never cared for blooper reels. They always felt staged or forced. Or simply relied on the novelty of seeing your favorite character swear up a storm with F-bombs. I can see that humor appealing to younger folks, but I need more than that these days.

Superhero movies are obviously doing well financially (though I wonder how long that will last) but I know I have zero interest in them. I saw the first Iron Man back in the day, but I haven't kept up so I never saw the later films. I never saw Avengers because I didn't watch Thor, Captain America, Hulk, or any of the other prequels so I didn't really bother or think it'd be interesting for me. It's why I don't really read superhero comics anymore. You have to read other series to prep for crossover events. I'm surprised it worked out for movies, but I suppose it's easier to watch 1 or 2 movies a year than 20+ comics every month. Though I admit I'm not much of a movie watcher. Going out to pay for over priced junk food and tickets just to watch a 2 hour film in public in a uncomfortable chair in a theater doesn't appeal to me as much anymore than when I did it as a kid with friends and family. Especially now that I have hundreds of hours of media to watch all on my computer. Also I find it hard to get invested into a franchise that only puts out a two-hour movie every 2-4 years compared to weekly episodes, so I prefer television.

brand wrote:
I also feel that in the last decade (since Lost) a lot of American TV has evolved. One of the big reasons I started watching anime was because most shows had a beginning, a middle, and an end. Something, very lacking while I was growing up.

American TV has definitely gotten better, but it still has a long ways to go. The obvious issue is all this evolution has only happened to live-action TV series and not animation. It's nice to see TV shows with actual serial plots like anime, but since they're live-action there's a limit on their coverage and genre. The most fantasy show we have right now is Game of Thrones and that's more of the Renaissance fair drama rather than truly epic spell slinging and monster slaying fantasy. There's only so much you can do with a live-action budget compared to animation, and that generally means a lot of talking, or very low key action like gun fights or sword fights. It's no doubt partly why crime shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, and countless CSI series are so popular in television. They're easy to film. There's no way you could make a show like Dragonball Z or One Piece on a TV budget unless it was animation. Sadly, all attempts at cartoons with plots have met with disaster or just end up stuck aimed at children and are limited in scope.

-Stuart Smith
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DVD was made for an era when most people still had old fashioned tube TVs

True, but I don't see DVD going the way of VHS anytime soon.

As for upgrading some of my DVDs to Blu-ray counterparts, it'll happen once extra funds become available AND said Blu-rays are available for purchase. Some of my collection is out of print and will probably not be rescued or re-released in any format (i.e. - Kimagure Orange Road, Marmalade Boy).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind that he's ragging on superhero films, but don't try to have it both ways by making a movie which is baiting that fanbase.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
American movies I went to see saw last year: Guardians of the Galaxy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Lucy.
Yep. Which isn't to say I didn't want to see others. I was invited to go along to all of the ones I listed. While in general my movie going habits have declined over the last several years it's more that the nearest real theater to me is a county away now. I was sort of disheartened to see the Oscar nominees this year since I usually have seen at least a handful of those (especially in the foreign or animation categories.)

What did I go watch when I was a tween/teenage girl? Oh yeah, a lot of movies with Leonardo Di Caprio in them because one of my friends was obsessed with him. Movie I always remember him for was one he did playing the poet Rimbaud that I saw myself (though, I don't think I was suppose to because of the age rating). Not even sure if that was an American production either.

So I think movies are largely a very social experience for a lot of people. Activities involving Anime sure can be too but, it's also a hobby that fits perfectly into setting oneself apart and could be attractive as well to some people who are already a little bit of outsiders. So I'm not really sure if Anime could profit greatly from people growing tired of certain stories and conventions. I would hope people are motivated to search out more culturally diverse entertainment. However, curiosity has to be instilled pretty early I think.

When I was very young most of the TV shows and films I watched were from America or, Britain with a little from Japan interspersed. But, I was still watching things like black and white movies and silent films you wouldn't expect a kid to be interested in. As a teenager I was able to have even more say in my entertainment choices. Then I ended up searching out more Anime but, also series and films from Australia, China, France, India, Iran, Korea, Russia...not because I was missing something in the more prevalent entertainment necessarily, just because I felt like why not try something else if I can?

Now as an adult I'm actually watching less of everything compared to when I was younger. And I have a hard time believing adults that don't have some sort of positive experience with Anime in their youth will be likely to try either an animated film or series from Japan. I was just at a dinner party last week (and I'm not even sure how the topic arose) but, one of the men commented on the Japanese being really pedophilic in their animation.
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I said everything I wanted to about the blooper issue in the thread the other day but I'll link it in case some people didn't read that one.

invalidname wrote:
For digital copies, I'd always sort of hoped Funimation could do something where if you buy a physical copy, you unlock that show/movie for ad-free streaming on Funimation.com. Maybe something similar for Sentai and Anime Network (I know, not technically the same company).

But it would still be a ton of work to stuff unique codes in each box, validate them on the site, keep track of who's unlocked what, etc. And I don't know that you can really make the case that having a digital copy would convert someone into buying something they otherwise wouldn't. Maybe you'd get more funimation.com accounts created, but there are better ways to do that, like getting a ton of exclusive streaming licenses (homicidal magical lesbian bears, anyone?)

Even easier would be a week (or month?) of free premium access to their site (or that of a partner, like Crunchyroll) for each product you buy, ostensibly to let you view your purchase online. It could convince more people to sign up by getting them hooked. Obviously it might backfire, but it would be interesting to see someone perform the experiment.

FUNimation's exclusive worldwide English-subbed streaming licenses for magical lesbian bears are a sore point right now to those of us outside the US, heh Sad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Quote:
And I have a hard time believing adults that don't have some sort of positive experience with Anime in their youth will be likely to try either an animated film or series from Japan.

Sorry to have to contradict you. The very first anime I ever saw was a couple of blind buy VHS tapes when I was 52. That was several years ago and I'm still watching anime. It is possible.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
^
I was even older than that when I started.
When I was in my youth I doubt that I was even aware that there was such a thing as anime.

A positive experience when young is definitely not necessary, but I am sure that it does not hurt either.
I actually wish that I had been exposed to anime when I was much younger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
When I first got into anime, I was amazed at the psychological and emotional depth of the characterization and the outside-the-box kind of storytelling (the box being - the American films and TV I was used to).

It's been years, and I've seen a bunch of derivative anime since those early days, but I'm still convinced that manga series and anime series allow for the deepest long-form storytelling experiences there can be. I tell people all the time that they should try anime, that a story like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood rivals any of the best live-action TV series Hollywood ever produced. The episode with spoiler[the death of Envy] being a prime example of how deep and complex and emotionally cathartic anime can be for the viewer.

I haven't owned a TV since the change from analog to digital - was it five years ago now? - and I haven't missed it. Anime rules my entertainment world. =D
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
I haven't owned a TV since the change from analog to digital - was it five years ago now? - and I haven't missed it. Anime rules my entertainment world. =D

The only reason I own a TV is to play video games. I haven't actually watched TV on it in years, not that I could because I dropped my service a long time ago as well. Like people have said, I don't see much point in it. Everything I watch consists of foreign shows since that's what I've found more appealing for about two decades now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5