• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Virtue of Curiosity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I always liked the outtakes from Ruroni Kenhin's dub. I imagine many of those actors really struggle to say a lot of the more complicated Japanese phrases, words or just the long strands of dialogue it reminded me of what Harrison Ford once remarked about Star Wars said "you can write this shit but you cant say it." And yeah a fair amount were the actors goofing off but even those were rather amusing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
Apashi wrote:
I'm surprised anyone doesn't like bloopers. I love them! It's so much fun to hear something ridiculous from the actors in what usually would be a serious show. Or at least not like the show itself. Yes much of them are "staged" but I think there's something more to that. Many of the lower paid overseas VAs are friends. They will actually plant ridiculous and funny lines that aren't used in the actual show for the next actor to come in and hear which throws them off. Then they will make up their own lines for the next actor and so on. I think that's how most of the blooper reels are formed. It also is worth noting that in Japan, everyone is in the same booth while recording but over here everyone takes separate turns. Without that dynamic I can imagine there are less outtakes in Japan. Even so, I would LOVE to see some of these "NGs" in anime. I hope one day they release some!

Well, that also depends on the direction, casting, and the budget. All three of them have to allow for such improvisation to occur to have what you described happening. If a director refuses to allow actors to deviate from the script, if there is a significant amount of actors in the work who aren't good at improvisation, or if the budget means they cannot stay on set or in the recording booth longer than they have to (or their agents forbid it), you're not going to get improvisation.

I don't think those are what necessarily lead to blooper reels though.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
^Pretty much how I feel. I dove right into anime and just thought, "This is so new and exciting and so much better then all that boring old American stuff!!"

But then I got older and just realized that anime has it's own major problems too, and I began to rediscover an appreciation for western media. I think it's all about having a balanced cultural diet.

I think that's how it is for a lot older fans.

12 year old me would've NEVER seen myself watching and enjoying something like Breaking Bad or Mad Men
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that, in this discussion of TV shows with continually-running plots, nobody has mentioned soap operas. I understand that they're nowhere near as big as they once were, but they've been around for most of the US' TV history. Serial plots aren't some sort of brand-new development; all that is new is that it's now aimed at folks beyond the soap opera audience. Like many folks my age, I got into anime due to the ongoing plotlines that didn't reset each episode. I started watching Days of Our Lives with my grandmother one summer because its plotting was so similar (including the characters' tendency to come back from the dead, and the then-current arc's plot involving two people recovered from a pod that fell during a meteor shower, but that's beside the point). Days has had ongoing plot arcs since 1965, and many soaps that began much, much earlier had them, too. I don't care if most of you see them as silly or dumb or outdated, they're an important part of TV history that does not deserve to be ignored.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
They aren't new, but they have a pretty narrow audience, and it isn't the same audience that most anime or prime-time television is aimed at. I know you already mentioned that, but I think that's why serial animation and prime-time television is seen as something new and novel. The other thing is that people who watch soap operas are not taken seriously by the rest of mainstream media, and due to those negative depictions elsewhere, soaps tend to be forgotten, ignored, or not considered important enough when discussion of serial television comes up.

In addition, soap operas are rarely rerun as they go on for so long and are usually filmed daily, so soaps don't need to worry about people watching them out of order (which is why western animation has been so slow to pick up serial formatting). The most popular ones are also designed specifically so that anyone can jump in or out of the series at any point, which is a problem that sometimes crops up in serial storytelling elsewhere. (In anime and manga, for instance, One Piece gets hit by this a lot.)

Considering soap operas have been a staple of western culture for at least as long as television's been around, if not earlier than that, I don't think anyone here really thinks that serial television is fresh and new--just fresh and new to them. Remember that before soap operas, we had radio dramas like The Shadow or Dick Tracy, most of which were serial.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Right, right, I feel ya. I just rarely ever see soaps brought up in these discussions, so I felt like I needed to say something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5