Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul √A


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Seryne299



Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked the fact the way it was shown when Kaneki was lying when he was talking to Touka. Hide clearly stated Kaneki has a habit of touching his chin when he is hiding something. Many people probably never noticed it though unless you were paying close attention.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barbobot



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 456
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shinohara is sure he's seen the old man before, leading to the obvious assumption that Yoshimura is the One-Eyed Owl! I refuse to believe it!


I've always assumed this to be the case since the owl first showed up at the end of season 1. It was just too convenient that right as Yoshimura left to enter the fray was when the Owl first shows up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8717
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
^ Me too. When everyone was treating it like a mystery, I figured I must've misunderstood something about what was going on, which is usually the case. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Past Staff


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3727
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ Me too. When everyone was treating it like a mystery, I figured I must've misunderstood something about what was going on, which is usually the case. Smile


Right, but if we're assuming the Owl is the leader of Aogiri...I just think it'd be really crappy if Yoshimura turned out to be evil and playing both sides or whatever. It could be the case. But I just really hope not because I have more faith in the writer than that, to not go down that cliche a route. Fingers crossed, anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Bern73



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
(super long post awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, sorry)

so uh, new guy here, just wanted to give my thoughts on the ep

Apparently, I'm hearing from people that this *isn't* an original story like it was promoted as, but is instead just the latter half of the story with a few things changed? Dunno how to feel about that. Haven't read the manga and I'm enjoying this season just fine, so I don't think I have a problem with it

As for Yoshimura maybe being the Owl, (I think there's a good chance he might be, though I agree with Hope in that I'd be a bit disappointed if he was, if only because it'd be very predictable and obvious) I'd like to bring up a few points. I've noticed:

If Yoshimura *does* turn out to be the Owl, then I'm not sure it makes him evil necessarily. He did comment on the neverending cycle of bloodshed between humans and ghouls, and didn't seem too fond of it. While watching the broadcast dub, I also noticed that he saved the lives of both Shinohara and another Investigator from being crushed by debris, something I missed the first time. I can't think of any ulterior motive the Owl would have for doing that, so maybe it was out of the kindness of his big ghoulie heart? lol

Now, the above only applies if Yoshimura was the Owl at Aogiri HQ, and yes, that means I think the Owl encountered there and the Owl that showed up at the prison facility place are two different Owls; the latter looked way too different and had a different mask, so either the Owl is somehow able to completely transform itself or those weren't the same guy

I put a lot of thought into something that's completely theoretical

Is that weird? lol

Oh, and as for the dub, I really enjoyed it a lot
Monica Rial as Rize is horrifying but brilliant casting.
I can't wait to hear Suzuya. I can't think of anyone that could voice him except Maxey Whitehead. From what little I could tell from his humming in the ep, it sounded like he was being voiced by a woman (I hope so, Suzuya is one of my favorite characters so far and I hope the dub doesn't screw him up)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeadRed



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ Me too. When everyone was treating it like a mystery, I figured I must've misunderstood something about what was going on, which is usually the case. Smile


Right, but if we're assuming the Owl is the leader of Aogiri...I just think it'd be really crappy if Yoshimura turned out to be evil and playing both sides or whatever. It could be the case. But I just really hope not because I have more faith in the writer than that, to not go down that cliche a route. Fingers crossed, anyway.


I won't spoil it, but you won't be disappointed.

Bern73 wrote:
Apparently, I'm hearing from people that this *isn't* an original story like it was promoted as, but is instead just the latter half of the story with a few things changed? Dunno how to feel about that. Haven't read the manga and I'm enjoying this season just fine, so I don't think I have a problem with it


It's not so much anime original as it is heavily condensed. This season is covering IIRC about 90 chapters of manga, so much of it is cut out, truncated, or merged to put it in 12 episodes. For example, Kaneki never joins Aogiri, he has his own group for most of the manga, and the Cochlea break in arc was something very different and much, much longer.

As for Yoshimura, spoiler[You're on the right track, but there's more to it that will be revealed in the final scene or second to final scene of the show.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justsomeaccount



Joined: 24 Oct 2014
Posts: 471
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Having in mind how the oldman was hurt in the first episode of this season even though we saw nothing I'll assume he is the Owl and Owl =/= Aogiri so far (honestly I don't remember if sometime said The Owl was part of Aogiri or leader or not). If the oldman was also the leader of Aogiri, then why would he send Shuu to investigate Kaneki to the point of Shuu infiltrating in Aogiri (even killing some of those ghouls, although it's probably Shuu's idea) to hear rumors about what Kaneki ate?

At first I thought Anteiku was going to be aside of the rest of events in this season and I thought "okay, then maybe they can conclude all the characters pendient of development of the cast", but now they are included, so we have these characters asking for more development:

Anteiku: Touka, Hinami, oldman. The rest (Nishi, the three ghoul friends, the other waiters, Shuu) in the "maybe" category.
Aogiri: Kaneki, Ayato, writer, Owl (if he's not the oldman), the prisoner who fought Kaneki who didn't appear again except in a flashback. The rest (the other strong subordinates, Jason's apprendice if he's still alive?) in the "maybe" category.
CCG: Amon, Akira, Juzo, Shinohara, Hide. The rest (Akira's exmate, the other four/five bosses) in the "maybe" category.
Others: The two twins (or one if the other didn't survive), boss of those two twins who creates half-ghouls, the other gay stereotype.

Are you sure this is only going to last 5 episodes more? Because I think there's still too many characters asking for more development and purpose to conclude in such little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barbobot



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 456
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
(honestly I don't remember if sometime said The Owl was part of Aogiri or leader or not)


The CCG has made that assumption so far due to their run-ins with the Owl happening during the Aogiri raid and the prison.

I don't necessarily think he's playing both sides of the field with Anteiku and Aogiri. My guess was the Owl changed his ways (for reasons I can't possibly know) and as a result created Anteiku. His actions during the Aogiri raid were to just delay the CCG and he even saved Shinohara and the other guy from death from part of the building collapsing. Then in the prison, I can't say how he found out the raid on the prison was happening (maybe Shuu?), but all he did when he dropped in was save Kaneki and Ayato, Touko's brother.


Last edited by Barbobot on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BWLJ



Joined: 11 Jul 2014
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Right, but if we're assuming the Owl is the leader of Aogiri...I just think it'd be really crappy if Yoshimura turned out to be evil and playing both sides or whatever. It could be the case. But I just really hope not because I have more faith in the writer than that, to not go down that cliche a route. Fingers crossed, anyway.


First off, I'm pleasantly surprised how well the people on this site seem to have kept themselves from spoiling it. And don't worry, I'm not going to ruin that. I just want to let you know that it's not that. If this goes where I think it's going next episode we should get a flashback that will explain this whole situation, and maybe another piece of plot relating to Aogiri's goal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DarkHarvester



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Another new guy here. Big fan of the manga.

DeadRed is pretty much right, its not a completely original story more just a condensed adaptation of the manga. Characters seem to be in different places at different times but a lot of key moments and plot points still happen just at a faster rate. Personally I feel this leads to some pacing issues but for the most part I think the anime is doing a good job. It still does leave a bit out as it roughly covers from about chapter 80-143. Not 90 chapters but still a lot to cover in 12 episodes.

So for those that are really liking the anime I highly suggest reading it if you want a bit more. Although with about 4 episodes left the bits they have changed I'm pretty interested to see if it's gonna change the ending or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeadRed



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
DarkHarvester wrote:
Another new guy here. Big fan of the manga.

DeadRed is pretty much right, its not a completely original story more just a condensed adaptation of the manga. Characters seem to be in different places at different times but a lot of key moments and plot points still happen just at a faster rate. Personally I feel this leads to some pacing issues but for the most part I think the anime is doing a good job. It still does leave a bit out as it roughly covers from about chapter 80-143. Not 90 chapters but still a lot to cover in 12 episodes.

So for those that are really liking the anime I highly suggest reading it if you want a bit more. Although with about 4 episodes left the bits they have changed I'm pretty interested to see if it's gonna change the ending or not.


Didn't the first season end off at chapter 67, then in the first episode goes back and covers some of the stuff they skipped in the Aogiri raid arc? At least, that's how I remembered it.

I don't think they'll really change the ending, since it has generated a lot of publicity for the manga and they wouldn't want people to be too confused jumping into Tokyo Ghoul:re if they didn't read the original manga. It's not much like the situation the Zeta Gundam movies had with people going to ZZ. If anything, they'll just change the way we get to the end results, not the results themselves.

Also, I'd suggest those enjoying the anime to read it as well once this season is over, or at the very least pick up before where the first season of the anime left off (around chapter 50 is a good point), along with the sequel manga Tokyo Ghoul:re which is very good as well and definitely worth the read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_Cyphon_



Joined: 16 Nov 2014
Posts: 996
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
During the episode when Hide told us that Kaneki always held his chin when he was hiding something, I knew it was going to pop back into the story with Kaneki in some way, but I actually forgot about it and just remembered when I saw your post, Seryne299. Nice observations.

This is only a theory, so I don't think I'll be spoiling anything, but I'll still put spoilers just in case. spoiler[I don't think Yoshimura is going to be the leader of Aogiri. Remember when Shinohara faced the owl in episode one of season 2, he said that the owl was smaller than he remembered. I'm guessing this owl was Yoshimura, and during the attack on Cochlea, that was when the real owl appeared. At least, that's what I think happened. So the real owl could be like a sibling of Yoshimura, which is why they have almost the same kaguna.]

Overall, episode 7 was a good episode. All characters (with the exception of Shuu) are to my liking so far, and I'm very interested in seeing what Kaneki will do from here on out. I just hope he continues to stay badass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Barbobot



Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 456
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Things are making more sense now with regards to the owl. I'll put spoilers for now just cause the episode review has yet to go up.

spoiler[Seems the One-Eyed Owl of the past that the CCG used to fight was actually Yoshimura's child. That alieves Hope's concern about Yoshimura's role in Aogiri and Anteiku. The Owl that fought the CCG during the Aogiri raid was likely Yoshimura, who Shinohara and Kuroiwa even commented on being smaller than they remember (though we don't know exactly what Kuroiwa told Shinohara in the elevator in episode 2 regarding the owl). Then the Owl that dropped in on Cochlea I would guess was Yoshimura's son, the other Owl. We already know from Hinami that ghoul children generally develop the same or similar Kagune as their parents so it makes sense that there would be 2 Owls if they were parent and child.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_Cyphon_



Joined: 16 Nov 2014
Posts: 996
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Things are making more sense now with regards to the owl. I'll put spoilers for now just cause the episode review has yet to go up.

spoiler[Seems the One-Eyed Owl of the past that the CCG used to fight was actually Yoshimura's child. That alieves Hope's concern about Yoshimura's role in Aogiri and Anteiku. The Owl that fought the CCG during the Aogiri raid was likely Yoshimura, who Shinohara and Kuroiwa even commented on being smaller than they remember (though we don't know exactly what Kuroiwa told Shinohara in the elevator in episode 2 regarding the owl). Then the Owl that dropped in on Cochlea I would guess was Yoshimura's son, the other Owl. We already know from Hinami that ghoul children generally develop the same or similar Kagune as their parents so it makes sense that there would be 2 Owls if they were parent and child.]

Yep, the whole owl thing just made a whole lot more sense. I guessed that the spoiler[real owl was the sibling of Yoshimura], which was wrong, but at least i spoiler[got the blood relation part correct Razz]. It seems that the police spoiler[have caught up with Anteiku and are planning to attack it, though I am really confused how they are allowed to attack a location just because of a inspector's intuition. Madou was one thing, but allowing inspectors to act out of intuition should not be a thing among the CCG. ] Anyway, curious for the next episode, and I hope we can get the budget back again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 628
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
If this season ends the same way as the first manga, which is looking almost certain at this point, since almost everything (with three exceptions, two minor and one major) has been the same so far, and Re doesn't get an anime, I'm gonna flip my lid.

Of course, since Re just recently started, I don't see it getting an anime anytime soon, which just makes this season all the more disappointing.

I do find it bizarre how I'm complaining about how an anime is too similar to the source material. I guess I just thought we'd be getting an original story like the promotions said we would, and disappointed that didn't turn out to be the case. The story we did get is still really good and I am glad, to a degree, that we got it, but sigh.

EDIT: Also, they removed the iconic and infamous "103 Bones" scene and that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Confused

EDIT #2: Though now that I think about it, we *have* been getting drawings of several characters from Re in some of the ED credits, suggesting we may get an anime sooner than I think. I hope they wait a while though.

For example, this one shot of an older Hinami.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/9be36c01ac78a081d5f31ca9f5b37ee2.png


Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group