• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul √A

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quick correction, Kaneki doesn't actually kill scar mouth, they make a point to mention he just knocked him out. Plus, I remember there was like one frame where they slid his (scar mouth) model across the screen in that low budgetty way.

One of the big take aways from ghoul is that your average Shonen series has characters that deserve to live happily on both sides. Maybe Raoh wasn't such a bad guy, and maybe Crocodile deserves a second chance.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Episode #10:

More than the story itself (which also was enjoyable), I enjoyed the the smooth animation that helped carry the fights scenes throughout the episode. Not long after Suzuya Jūzō's arrival, there was that one moment when he climbed on Yoshimura's back, only to be thrown off by the latter (IIRC at about the 12:00 mark). The movements of both of them were exquisite.

Merxamers wrote:
One question though; are you judging the show
based on its dub, or its sub? Some of the dialogue you quote seems just a little off from what i remember of the subtitles

I follow the subbed version, and all of the quotes are 1:1 from the subtitles.

Hope Chapman in Episode #10's Review wrote:
I wish I could give a grade higher than A plus for a half-hour of anime this engrossing.

Stay true to the source material, and just like the CCG include ratings highr than A+, such as S, SS, or SSS (with + and - variants) Cool
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
This SHOULD have been an A+ episode, but literally I couldn't stand how it was done. If I had to be honest, I would have just watched the lastest minutes and the ending, more or less the parts with at least decent illustration and animation.

Suzuya's fight with the Owl was simply epic in the manga, whereas here it was just a wonky sequence of jump and attack (the bit where Shinohara grabs and literally throws him killed me). And don't get me started when the characters got dragged on the background in the Irina fight.

I know that character-wise it is a really strong episode and that still may be great, but I don't agree that a weak execution like this is worth such a high-note. I really hope the next episode isn't like this, then I'd be actually disappointed.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
At this point before watching the episode I already accepted this show is not going to wrap up all the things that are left open and are what kept me distracting the most during all this season (Kaneki's doctor who created other ghouls, the two ghoul sisters, Rize, Rize's exlover, that prisoner who knew Rize, Ayato, the 'clown', etc etc.), so I still consider a huge negative for the show to show us all those plot points and reminding us to be interested in them and yet they will never deliver.

However, I'll admit I also thought this episode was pretty good and I enjoyed a big deal. The fights were awesome and I didn't realize how invested I was in the characters fighting until I was watching them fight and get hurt. The biggest surprise of all was also Suzuya and Shinohara and their twisted but lovable link to connect, and how it also affected Suzuya's impression about Shinohara. That makes me afraid even more of how the episode ends though D: The biggest cognitive dissonance part was the last stage of Owl's fight against Suzuya, Shinohara and the others where everytime they hitted him I was "YEES--!! Oh wait, NOO--!! D - : - D ".

I guess my concern is still how in only two episodes is going to wrap up so many characters and plot points (not the ones I mention earlier, the ones related with this), between them Kaneki, Touka, Hide, Amon, Akira, Shinohara and Suzuya or the one-eyed Owl (especially this, since while I suspect who the one-eyed owl is, I don't know if is going to resonate very well with such a little time and setting up of the character and motivations and stuff). But I'll trust the show to deliver this and focus only in these characters and no more so it doesn't feel short on time.

Hope Chapman wrote:
Before Chuu can take his final revenge, Tokyo Ghoul's actual protagonist Kaneki shows up and kills him to rescue Irimi.

? No, he didn't die, he is taken by Mr. villager #2 (yes, he has a name but this one is funnier Laughing ) when they announce that the Owl is dead and he's injured but they can take him still. And besides, one of the major plot points this episode was when Shinohara and Owl are told that Kaneki saved those two ghouls without killing anybody. Right then the Owl starts escaping while thinking about Kaneki's resolution, and looking at the distance kind of impressed. I always took this as a signal of hope, in contrast with him who succumbed to pure desperation and killing to save the place. If Kaneki would have killed (so far he hasn't killed anybody, except maybe Jason. And even that is not clear if he did or not), the meaning probably would have been "oh he's here to help", but I don't think it would have such an impression on his character as he did.

The animation this time was hit and miss, there were parts were it looked amazing (for the most part the last segment of Owl's battle) and other such where you find characters using scroll power, but for so many action it's been going on it's still impressive.
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

Suzuya's fight with the Owl was simply epic in the manga, whereas here it was just a wonky sequence of jump and attack (the bit where Shinohara grabs and literally throws him killed me).
You're what's wrong with the manga community in TG. Some of you constantly compare scenes to the manga when the series told everyone that it was going to be anime original.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Last week's episode was kind of a mess, mainly due to the Tsukiyama thing (which was admittedly a minor thing, but it was just so distracting and pulled me out of the episode completely), but this just might be one of the best episodes this season, with the other being the 5th.

The animation was pretty bad here today tho, with this probably being the standout moment.

Also, this might just be a mistake on the animator's part (either that, or a really morbid joke), but I noticed something pretty disturbing. Go back to the episode, specifically to 10 minutes and 10 seconds in, and you'll get this shot.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/56f1a1b6777036bacc0de611e9c4f732/tumblr_nl4o3k1tBk1qipgxuo1_500.png

That...looks a lot like spoiler[Touka, what with the purple-ish hair and the boots look like the ones she was wearing too, though I'm admittedly less sure on that point. It can't be Irimi, since this mysterious body is covered in a blanket, and Irimi clearly wasn't. I mean, Touka shows up later on in the episode, so unless that appearance happened earlier than we thought, I might just be jumping to conclusions.]

*sigh*...I'm probably putting too much thought into that. I'm willing to bet it's Pierrot screwing up again.

Realquick wrote:
Valhern wrote:

Suzuya's fight with the Owl was simply epic in the manga, whereas here it was just a wonky sequence of jump and attack (the bit where Shinohara grabs and literally throws him killed me).
You're what's wrong with the manga community in TG. Some of you constantly compare scenes to the manga when the series told everyone that it was going to be anime original.

If you've read the manga, you would know that quite a few, no, most of everything in this season has been the same as the manga. Character motivations, personalities and backstories, a number of narrative twists, all that was in the manga, too.

Granted, a number of things are different (most of them are minor so far, but there are two major differences in particular), but you have to wonder what the point of changing those few things was when almost everything else has been the same.

I heard somewhere that Ishida, the mangaka (who is also in charge of the composition for this season), wanted Root A to be a two-cour season, but Pierrot said no. Whether that resulted in almost everything be taken from the manga, or whether that resulted in a few last minutes changes, your guess is as good as mine, but either way it's a shame.

Then again, Pierrot probably would've put a lot less effort into animating Root A if it was two-cour instead of one-cour like it is now.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Also, this might just be a mistake on the animator's part (either that, or a really morbid joke), but I noticed something pretty disturbing. Go back to the episode, specifically to 10 minutes and 10 seconds in, and you'll get this shot.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/56f1a1b6777036bacc0de611e9c4f732/tumblr_nl4o3k1tBk1qipgxuo1_500.png

That...looks a lot like spoiler[Touka, what with the purple-ish hair and the boots look like the ones she was wearing too, though I'm admittedly less sure on that point. It can't be Irimi, since this mysterious body is covered in a blanket, and Irimi clearly wasn't. I mean, Touka shows up later on in the episode, so unless that appearance happened earlier than we thought, I might just be jumping to conclusions.]

*sigh*...I'm probably putting too much thought into that. I'm willing to bet it's Pierrot screwing up again.

Emmm... by that time Touka wasn't even out of the house and talked with Yomo about it, so it's just a random corpse.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:

Emmm... by that time Touka wasn't even out of the house and talked with Yomo about it, so it's just a random corpse.

What do you mean? Touka talks with Yomo and leaves to help Anteiku in episode 9. This body was spotted in episode 10.

As I mentioned, Touka is seen again later on in episode 10 shortly after Yoshimura dies, but that appearance could've actually taken place before the scene with the mystery corpse. Y'know, the anime playing tricks on us.

Keep in mind I'm not saying the corpse is Touka, in fact it's pretty unlikely, I'm just saying it's a possibility for now.

If it is, I'll flip, if it's not, I'll let out about a dozen sighs of relief.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
^ Oh, I thought you meant the previous episode. But anyway, I remember she has a brief appearance later and it's clear having in mind how important she is, she's not going to die in a background shot and we never see her again, that would be just extremely weird.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, it would be really weird, which is why I'm saying it's so unlikely. I'll keep the possibility in mind for now though, as much as I'm hoping otherwise.

Part of me thinks Pierrot did that on purpose just to screw with the fans. Like, why color the hair purple if you weren't trying to give off the impression that it was Touka? Did Tsukiyama die offscreen or something? Laughing
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the mistake, it's been corrected now. I'm actually kinda glad that Chuu is still alive. ^U^
DeadRed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
Valhern wrote:

Other than Kaneki joining Aogiri instead of making his own group and a heavy amount of truncation this season is exactly the same as the manga.
Bern73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Loved this episode, shoddy production values aside.

And yeah, after seeing that spoiler[red cloak he (or should I say she) was wearing], I know exactly who the One-Eyed Owl is now. Very Happy

I'm tempted to check out the manga when the season's over. I'm curious to see where it differs.
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

If you've read the manga, you would know that quite a few, no, most of everything in this season has been the same as the manga. Character motivations, personalities and backstories, a number of narrative twists, all that was in the manga, too.

Granted, a number of things are different (most of them are minor so far, but there are two major differences in particular), but you have to wonder what the point of changing those few things was when almost everything else has been the same.

I heard somewhere that Ishida, the mangaka (who is also in charge of the composition for this season), wanted Root A to be a two-cour season, but Pierrot said no. Whether that resulted in almost everything be taken from the manga, or whether that resulted in a few last minutes changes, your guess is as good as mine, but either way it's a shame.

Then again, Pierrot probably would've put a lot less effort into animating Root A if it was two-cour instead of one-cour like it is now.
If things followed the manga then it would definitely feel rushed. Kaneki's development was cut off sure but in it's place it shows off the series greatest asset which is that it has multiple strong characters who can carry the series even without kaneki. You (the manga readers who complain) seem to ignore that and the praise the series has gotten by anime only watchers and continue to bash it because it's not identical and some things changed. Sure it's similar but it said it's going to be different and ironically the complaints I see from you guys are about how it's different(Kaneki's and Tsukiyama(lol) development, settings changes.)

If you were to judge this season based on the anime alone (which you are SUPPOSED to do) you would see that besides episode 4 and a few minor things this season has been really good and is very likely alone to bring people into the manga. Not your complaining.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
If things followed the manga then it would definitely feel rushed. Kaneki's development was cut off sure but in it's place it shows off the series greatest asset which is that it has multiple strong characters who can carry the series even without kaneki. You (the manga readers who complain) seem to ignore that and the praise the series has gotten by anime only watchers and continue to bash it because it's not identical and some things changed. Sure it's similar but it said it's going to be different and ironically the complaints I see from you guys are about how it's different(Kaneki's and Tsukiyama(lol) development, settings changes.)

If you were to judge this season based on the anime alone (which you are SUPPOSED to do) you would see that besides episode 4 and a few minor things this season has been really good and is very likely alone to bring people into the manga. Not your complaining.

It's called criticism. I never once said that I wasn't enjoying the anime, or that I thought that it was terrible. I like it, a lot actually. But just because something's good does not mean I can't criticize it.

I even said above that the whole thing with Tsukiyama, while distracting, was an ultimately minor thing. Pay attention, please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8