• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul √A

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Realquick wrote:
If things followed the manga then it would definitely feel rushed. Kaneki's development was cut off sure but in it's place it shows off the series greatest asset which is that it has multiple strong characters who can carry the series even without kaneki. You (the manga readers who complain) seem to ignore that and the praise the series has gotten by anime only watchers and continue to bash it because it's not identical and some things changed. Sure it's similar but it said it's going to be different and ironically the complaints I see from you guys are about how it's different(Kaneki's and Tsukiyama(lol) development, settings changes.)

If you were to judge this season based on the anime alone (which you are SUPPOSED to do) you would see that besides episode 4 and a few minor things this season has been really good and is very likely alone to bring people into the manga. Not your complaining.

It's called criticism. I never once said that I wasn't enjoying the anime, or that I thought that it was terrible. I like it, a lot actually. But just because something's good does not mean I can't criticize it.
There's nothing wrong with criticizing the show. There is something wrong criticizing how it's not like the manga.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I felt like the budget was slipping in and out of episode 10 every few minutes. You have fast paced movements in one frame, then the next its slow and awkward again.

So, about this episode, like the animation, there were many differing opinions I had about this. Compared to last episode's smooth animations, Irimi and Koma's fight were a bit of a let down. The same could be said for Yoshimura's last stand. Suzuya and Shinohara working together didn't feel like anything new to me (I understand Shinohara sees Juzo in a new light now, but I just don't see how special this is supposed to be) and the entire fight was a bunch of sword/scythe/whip slicing without a lot of camera movement. Literally we get a frame showing Yoshimura's body and everyone just enters the frame to slice once or twice. You've still got some ways to go, Tokyo Ghoul.
(Seriously, Irimi? You couldn't have pushed the old lady inside her apartment or something?)

At the least there were some pretty fantastic dialogue in the episode. I especially liked some of Madou's words from Shinohara's flashback. "Neither your allies nor your enemies are obliged to move predictably. If that's so, then you just have to know your partner better, so they can move to the best of their abilities." (Not word for word)

So let's talk about the ending now. I'm really pumped to see how Kaneki and Amon's battle will end up next week. Touka and Hide seem like unknown factors in this right now, and likely we will see some major development from both of them next episode. Man, I loved the real owl's entrance. That was probably my favorite part of the episode. Him storming in and letting loose that evil smile reminded me of all the best anti-heroes I have ever seen.

Quote:
As I mentioned, Touka is seen again later on in episode 10 shortly after Yoshimura dies, but that appearance could've actually taken place before the scene with the mystery corpse. Y'know, the anime playing tricks on us.

Keep in mind I'm not saying the corpse is Touka, in fact it's pretty unlikely, I'm just saying it's a possibility for now.

Are you talking about the corpse in the title picture for the series, or was there a scene of one in the episode that I didn't notice?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Are you talking about the corpse in the title picture for the series, or was there a scene of one in the episode that I didn't notice?

Now that I think about it, both actually.

I'm talking about this, about 10 minutes and 10 seconds in.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/56f1a1b6777036bacc0de611e9c4f732/tumblr_nl4o3k1tBk1qipgxuo1_500.png

The camera doesn't focus on it at all, so it's in the background.

It really does look like it could be Touka, since her and Tsukiyama are the only characters in the series we've seen with purple hair, and it can't be a CCG member since it looks like the corpse has leather boots on (or at least it looks like it anyway, but either way they don't look like the boots that the CCG are wearing) and it doesn't look like they have a uniform on or a helmet, and it can't be Irimi since she didn't have a blanket covering her. But it would be really dumb and weird to just kill her off anticlimactically and offscreen like that so I think, while it is possible, it's unlikely.

She does make a very brief appearance later on, shortly after Yoshimura dies, but for all I know that could've taken place earlier than we were led to believe.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/56f1a1b6777036bacc0de611e9c4f732/tumblr_nl4o3k1tBk1qipgxuo1_500.png

It really does look like it could be Touka, since her and Tsukiyama are the only characters in the series we've seen with purple hair, and it can't be a CCG member since it looks like the corpse has leather boots on (or at least it looks like it anyway, but either way they don't look like the boots that the CCG are wearing) and it doesn't look like they have a uniform on or a helmet, and it can't be Irimi since she didn't have a blanket covering her. But it would be really dumb and weird to just kill her off anticlimactically and offscreen like that so I think, while it is possible, it's unlikely.

She does make a very brief appearance later on, shortly after Yoshimura dies, but for all I know that could've taken place earlier than we were led to believe.

Hm, interesting. It does look like Touka.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Odds are extremely high that it's just a coloring error by Studio Pierrot. In the scene with that group just before when Kaneki first arrives the only people on the scene are Irimi (already down on the ground) and the 4 CCG members. Kaneki knocks out the big guy and the scene cuts away. The next time we come back to that scene a minute later, nothing else has changed. It's still Kaneki facing down the 3 remaining CCG members with 1 person down on the ground. That would have to be Irimi.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Odds are extremely high that it's just a coloring error by Studio Pierrot. In the scene with that group just before when Kaneki first arrives the only people on the scene are Irimi (already down on the ground) and the 4 CCG members. Kaneki knocks out the big guy and the scene cuts away. The next time we come back to that scene a minute later, nothing else has changed. It's still Kaneki facing down the 3 remaining CCG members with 1 person down on the ground. That would have to be Irimi.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. Really freaky though. Shocked
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. Really freaky though. Shocked

Makes sense I guess. Quite a few mishaps this season. How did they ever get black mixed with purple? Touka's isn't even dark purple.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok, let's break down episode 11 into segments shall we... (Spoilers just in case)
spoiler[
1. Did they seriously just skip over the whole fight between the real owl and the CCG main force?! Or am I missing something here?!
2. Them not showing the whole fight makes me unable to really feel for Shinohara here. Juzo's whole ordeal was pretty boring too.
3. Why was the owl just kneeling there taking hits from Juzo?
4. Why do all the Aogiri goons have the same Kagune? Be a little more creative, guys, there can't be that many twins.
5. Who's Arima again? Is it the white-haired dude?
6. And there we have the classic attacking one by one even though you're in a group technique.
7. Well that was anti-climactic. We literally see the real owl in one scene and that's where it gets kicked in the ass.
8. Damn, so the real owl was the author.
9. Holy shit, Yoshimura still isn't dead yet.
10. Last but not least, BUDGET WHERE ARE YOU?!
]
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
That lumbering monstrosity was pretty nice to Juzo considering all he did was the was swat him down occasionally
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
spoiler["Arima is one of about thirty characters this anime adaptation could and probably should have written out in the interests of sculpting a standalone story."]

spoiler[I snorted]

This ep shows why I wasn't a big fan of how they handled Yoshimura last ep. They really made it seem like he died.

I also don't get how Hide finds noro and yet gets to kaneki later. I'm sure there has to be a reason because it literally makes no sense.
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Arima is that he has basically only shone up so far in rumor, where everyone else was talking about how awesome he is. So while it makes sense he is the only one who could stand toe to toe with the Owl, I understand the complaints about him.

I really want to see what happens between Kaneki and Hide, in a sense that is what this show has been partially building too. [/spoiler]
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Also, they say the draft is by the author but from the drafts we've been shown they look like they've taken out and changed so much.
R.Obliv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd just quickly chime in with a manga readers point of view on this season (because there isn't enough of that already).

This season generally was good on its own merits, though there are a number of easily misread areas where you would need to read the manga to explain what certain events meant (juzo's "good boy" points are associated to his level of his torture, the longer people last, the more points, thus why he is so sadistic with keeping people alive, to name one). As an adaptation, it is only ok, thus the annoyance of so many manga readers. And it should be noted this is an adaptation, not really an original story. I would say that approximately an episode worth of new content is in this series as a whole, and some of it was pretty interesting stuff, however most of the season was just a restructuring of 80 chapters worth of content into 12 episodes (yet the odd decision not to cut any superfluous characters and keeping certain open-ended plot points).

In case you're curious, the key variations that actually affect the anime are - manga spoiler - spoiler[Kaneki joining Aogiri instead of forming his own team, the prison break (which was off screen) replacing a manga exclusive lab raid arc, moving the scene of Hinami with Takatsuki's book signing from towards the end of the series to a significantly earlier point, as well as removing Kaneki from that scene, and cutting out Renji's back story, which featured more Arima so he wasn't so sudden here. In the prison break arc itself, the fight between Ayato and Shinohara and the brief scene of Tarata were the only things not lifted straight from the manga exclusive arc (which worked terribly out of context frankly, as seen by the episode score for ep 4). Everything past that point is straight from the manga, and the majority of episode 2 and 3 were as well].

Honestly, I was hoping for an actual anime exclusive storyline, something with more finality to the message, and honestly, I'd argue Aogiri really didn't need to be so prevalent in their current form (they arguably mess with the grey and grey themes of the story and were not really a factor in the anime beyond a name as the manga hadn't really done much with them for the anime to work with). Additionally, many of these rearrangements messed up certain scenes. The formation of Centipede-Kankei or Amon vs Kaneki personifies this to me. In the manga spoiler[the fact they had to fight was because, at the time, the manager was still fighting and Aogiri's appearance was not a factor. It was only Ken who could save him. Amon on the other hand knew letting Kaneki past would allow "owl" to win, and because he didn't know about the whole pacifist ghoul thing, he associated that with losing more people. Here they're decision not to back down doesn't make as much sense, Kaneki knew Owl was gone and his loyalty to Aogiri isn't really a factor (he joined for strength to protect), and with Aogiri attacking you'd imagine that the fight would have been interrupted, or Amon would want to deal with the ghouls actually, you know, killing people. Though on the other hand, Kaneki resisting Centipede] here was a strong element, it was something that was different because of this situation, which I appreciated.

Episode 11 also irked me with spoiler[Shinohara's death], which was a little bit slower in the manga, but this may have been because the manga's arrangement made one line of text hard to attribute to either Juzo or Shinohara and I was hoping the anime would give me more information. So selfish reasons really. That scream did send shivers down my spine though. Beyond that, as I said, Amon vs Kaneki seems a little bit pointless at that point in the raid and would have made more sense to me if it started five minutes earlier, however I enjoyed the actual elements in the fight. Arima didn't need to be there (someone less "I'm just here for :re" would have made more sense for his role in an anime where :re doesn't seem to be an option), and the actual attack by Aogiri was cool to see (mainly off screen in the manga and smaller scale, but this felt more final).

Again, I don't hate the adaptation, but I feel its flawed in ways the source material was not, mainly due to missing build up, certain elements of character development being gone, and ignoring some, but not all, details. I will say this though, some of the over the top gore was cut, which was frankly a good thing, because the manga can really be superfluous in that detail. Even if the anime actually had the space to adapt all the slowness, development and plot from the manga, it should never even consider adapting the grossly out of place, grossly out of character, ear drum scene.

[Edit]: expanded the spoilers. Errinundra.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
As much credit as the review is giving Suzuya I still don't give a crap about him. Never liked him since he was introduced and his supposed father-son bond with Shinohara doesn't change my attitude at all. He is still on my "character I want to scrub out of the show" list.
I could agree on Arima though. I mean he came out of nowhere. I completely had no idea who he was. One thing I'd like to note is that his hair looks similar to Kaneki's both in style and color. I wonder if this means anything.
It's still a question as to how Hide got away from that Aogiri member after witnessing Takizawa's death. I guess we'll find out next episode, though, with only one episode left, I wonder how they will close this season. Not taking into factor budget and the other business stuff, most likely Tokyo Ghoul will be getting a third season?
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
As much credit as the review is giving Suzuya I still don't give a crap about him. Never liked him since he was introduced and his supposed father-son bond with Shinohara doesn't change my attitude at all. He is still on my "character I want to scrub out of the show" list.
I could agree on Arima though. I mean he came out of nowhere. I completely had no idea who he was. One thing I'd like to note is that his hair looks similar to Kaneki's both in style and color. I wonder if this means anything.
It's still a question as to how Hide got away from that Aogiri member after witnessing Takizawa's death. I guess we'll find out next episode, though, with only one episode left, I wonder how they will close this season. Not taking into factor budget and the other business stuff, most likely Tokyo Ghoul will be getting a third season?

nope
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8