• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
This current arc is fantastic, btw. It may be my favorite so far, although I've started rewatching from the beginning and apparently every episode is my favorite until I watch the one after it. Laughing

I actually started my rewatch because I was interested in watching the dub, but after two episodes I threw my hands up and switched back to the sub because it was so awful. The characterization was totally different, Koro Sensei was a smug asshole instead of a smug-in-a-fun-way comedy character, Nagisa is way too confident right from the start, and the whole tone of the show seems off. Just... don't.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 21 - Me: "Ohhhh daaaayuum son, sheeet just got reaaaaal"
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
uh, oh.....Nagisa's about to murder that f8cker! Shocked
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
My bet is that the virus isn't really deadly and they'll all get over it soon, and didn't even need an antidote (I forget a lot, week to week - did they identify the virus or confirm it was lethal before they got his message?). Probably one of poison-guy's concoctions he used just to get them there to confront Nagisa. Maybe the guy who got sick (I can't remember more than about 5 of the characters' names) during the tour to the penthouse will be the key to that realization?

I hope it will be something much more creative than that, but if they go with something like another handy stock of anti-virus hidden away, I'm flipping tables. Smile

I gotta hand it to them how they concealed his identity - I thought he was pulling at dreadlocks! Shocked
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa is amazing. Just... amazing. Such perfect characterization, especially with the different facial reactions from different characters that were shown during the whole scene.

Not gonna lie, felt trolled by that review. JMO, reserve the right to change my opinion at any time. Razz
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 21 review wrote:
It's no coincidence that the series regains its charm as soon as its most entertaining character returns to the spotlight.

Just because you can designate Koro-sensei the most entertaining character doesn't mean that none of the others are entertaining. In fact any of the Class E characters that has gotten any screen time at all could actually host their own spin-off series. Not many anime can really say that.

As for the antidote being blown up. I thought it 99% sure that there was never any antidote there in the first place. This whacked out bad guy obviously never had any intention of negotiating anything in good faith. So whatever saves the infected students is going to be something else.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
I've been thinking that Okuda will solve the poison problem. she looked like she was on the way to figuring out how to cure her sick classmates when we last saw her
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
^^^ Well, I sort of called it. Smile Came awfully close to flipping a table, but they distracted me long enough with Nagisa's solution that no furniture was harmed in the watching of this episode. And Terasaka was key, but not in the way I predicted. So that was another plus.

Nice wrap-up. I'm looking forward to the next season, whenever it arrives.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ep 22 review wrote:
Of all the characters in this show, Terasaka's evolution has been the most enjoyable to watch.

I would not have called it the most enjoyable but it was satisfying. And more importantly it was plausible. I was complaining about that character in the early episodes so I am happy that someone was listening.

As for the overall rating, I am going at least two points higher than Jensen's rather wan "B+". There was just so much here that the anime didn't seem to get credit for.

On the topic of "wanting more" I would be happy to see full arcs dedicated to each of the visible members of class E. The setup has given each one the basis for a story of how they ended up there in spite of their own intellectual assets. (even Terasaka managed to score a top grade in something!)

One curious thing though is how the demonic principal and his icicle son were taken out of the story. It seemed like there just was no time left for them so I hope they come back in the next season.

On a last note I watched an episode or two of the dub and I just could not get into the English voice of Koro-sensei. The original Japanese guy they hired was just too good in comparison.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
On the topic of "wanting more" I would be happy to see full arcs dedicated to each of the visible members of class E. The setup has given each one the basis for a story of how they ended up there in spite of their own intellectual assets. (even Terasaka managed to score a top grade in something!)

To get all of them, you may have to go to the manga. Three student-of-the-week arcs were skipped this season, presumably so they could end the season at the end of this arc.

If you're curious, the three who were skipped over were Maehara, Sugaya, and Kataoka. (Though to be honest, Sugaya's arc was only a single chapter and I felt it was fairly disposable.)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8