• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10 review wrote:
I doubt anyone will remember this episode a few months from now.

I think the review is right about this not being a high point of the season but perhaps this is a little harsh. Both Kurasama and Jelavich needed some development and it had to go somewhere. And it probably wouldn't have worked well to do too much more with the episode.

Octoperv. lol.
natchu96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:49 am Reply with quote
Mobile Ritsu!

She just went and made a portable AI app of herself and hacked it into everyone's cellphones huh.
They also gave her the full-length LCD screen just for the opening dance sequence lol.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
[quote]
Come to think of it she has no evident defense mechanism at all. There was no resistance to her target opening her panels and making modifications. She was completely debilitated with some duct tape. If she can't move and can't defend she isn't worth much as a military asset except as a mine or something. ./quote]

In a warfare situation they obviously wouldn't just drop a monolith on the battlefield. She would instead be a computer terminal linked to a battleship, or a tank. The model we're seeing is just the form suitable for a classroom setting, but the real innovations involved, the stuff they're testing, are the tactical intelligence engine, not the hardware.

Quote:

I think the review is right about this not being a high point of the season but perhaps this is a little harsh. Both Kurasama and Jelavich needed some development and it had to go somewhere. And it probably wouldn't have worked well to do too much more with the episode.

Yeah, the episode was about character development and setting pieces into place for later stories. And for the record, this was not "filler" in the traditional sense, as it was taken shot for shot from the manga, even if they weren't the most high-intensity chapters.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I liked the visual gag of the missile just leaning against the wall of the faculty lounge, like its no big deal
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't an episode this week?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

This might just be my favorite episode so far. Either it was really good, or I'm just jonesing for some baseball after Ace of Diamond left me hanging with recaps. Smile But I agree, I was a little miffed about the girls' game.

It was just fun to see all the usual baseball tropes get skillfully turned like a 5-4-3 double play. Also funny that what Nagisa found noteworthy about spoiler[fishing for delinquents was that there was a season for it, and not that he was to be literally dangled as the bait.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
Ep 12 review wrote:
The principal remains a fairly bland villain, and his methods are too vaguely defined to be truly despicable. He's just a sinister face to put behind every group of jerks that class E runs into, and it feels like the series isn't sure what to do with him

I thought it sort of interesting that they inserted Karasuma's rumination about the principal which were along the lines of respect about how the principal could motivate his students and knew each of their capabilities so well. Like Koro-sensei.
CycloneSP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
somebody really needs to tell this reviewer that this anime is not an original work, but rather based off of a story that has already been written. And the production team is doing a great job of staying true to the source material at that.

It's getting old hearing the reviewer make snide comments about the production team's writing ability when they aren't actually creating a new story here. They are merely adapting a story that's been written years ago, and all the changes that the reviewer has been suggesting would totally deviate from the original story cause a lot of continuity issues.

If the reviewer wants to complain about the writing or the story, take that up with the mangaka, not the anime production team.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
While I don't know that much about this series, I think it's worth pointing out that adaptation IS writing. Writing from previously-existing material, but it still requires some differences here and there. Otherwise, you wind up with stuff like that 1-for-1 remake of Psycho that nobody liked.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
nagisa: koro sensei is our teacher and karasuma is our training instructor.
bitch-sensei: wait--what am I?
student pushes up his glasses with a gleam: You're our bitch

that casual as a matter of fact comment cracked me up.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
that casual as a matter of fact comment cracked me up.

Irina gets no love. Poor thing what's she still hanging out there for? Does she still think she is going to get the cash prize?
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
Maybe an explanation is that Irina usually don't get friends, students, colleagues who like her... because she's an assassin (both meanings). Also, it seems she enjoys this life a bit more than going back to the old seduce-and-kill routine.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, I know some might disagree with me, but this show is really, really, consistent in its quality.

Sure some episodes are a bit funnier/thoughtful than others, but I haven't had an episode I disliked so far.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Irina gets no love. Poor thing what's she still hanging out there for? Does she still think she is going to get the cash prize?

Teaching them. Her teachings aren't useless.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Ep 14 review wrote:
“School bully decides to be a nicer guy” works for Saturday morning cartoons, but it's beneath the standards of Assassination Classroom. It would've been more interesting to forget the action scenes and just focus on Terasaka struggling to make peace with someone he used to push around.

If I followed the introspection properly, it would seem that there isn't anyone present that Terasaka "used to push around." As he reflected more than once, those actions "don't work in this school."

Also I would dispute that he just decided to be nicer. He did feel remorse but clearly he learned that just snarling at everything wasn't really getting him any satisfaction in life. He doesn't seem to be at the stage yet to make friends in a normal way but at least he possibly found the motivation to make things different than what they were.

So I would disagree that this character progression, while perhaps a bit uneven, was otherwise out of place with regard to quality of the rest of the story.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8