• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kill la Kill to Run on Toonami Starting in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Finally.

Since I'm saving money to buy the entire series at once, I was hoping to hear the dub again on TV. (By again, I meant I saw the first 3 episodes at Otakon & got some stickers!!)
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Been expecting this one for a while, though I thought it was gonna show up after Blue Exorcist ended last year (we got Gurren Lagann instead). I suppose the next big thing for Toonami will be when someone finally dubs Hunter X Hunter, since I've heard the staff wants that one as much as the fans do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
Been expecting this one for a while, though I thought it was gonna show up after Blue Exorcist ended last year (we got Gurren Lagann instead). I suppose the next big thing for Toonami will be when someone finally dubs Hunter X Hunter, since I've heard the staff wants that one as much as the fans do.

yeah I'm surprised Viz didn't get the new HunterXhunter yet (I know they have old one)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Well it nice they finely got something good an new
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations Toonami. You've finally made me interested in the block again, at least for a half hour.

I'm also ecstatic that I don't have to shell out more money to watch the dub now.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah! Bring them over, even though I'm not going to watch TV anymore.

But Kill la Kill is an awesome show. I rewatched the whole thing in Blu-ray. It's much better than the TV version.

I'm also a proud original blu-ray collector of all 9 volumes of Kill la Kill!

traveling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

yeah I'm surprised Viz didn't get the new HunterXhunter yet (I know they have old one)

They didn't really handle the first one gracefully, so hope Funimation gets it.
Zero Requiem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising at all. Anyone could have seen this coming.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation is selling 26 episodes of Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray for just 42 bucks.

You conveniently overlook the fact that Cowboy Bebop has been round the block a few times already. This means that not only has it made plenty of money already, but the market for it is more saturated than a brand-new show. Therefore charging too much is both unnecessary and counterproductive.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
If your economical situation is in such a dire state that you simply cannot afford to spend $199.99 on anime spread over a 9-month long period then I would assume that watching Kill La Kill dubbed would be the least of your worries.

I can't afford $200 giant robot figures if I'm also buying $200 anime. Some of us have more than one hobby. Can't exactly enjoy tangible objects online or on TV, but I can anime.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

When did I say anything about Aniplex prices? I stated that if you cannot afford to spend the afformentioned sum of money on anime over a 9-month long period you probably have other things to worry about than watching anime dubs. I stated this in reply to penguintruth.

If you're interested in yet another "aniplex are too expensive"-discussion then feel free to drop me a PM, but I can't guarantee that i'll be interested in replying to it.

Not really. Penguintruth made an innocent comment and you saw fit to make something of it and we all know Aniplex was the elephant in the room. Nothing more to say on my end of it.

It is nice though that Kill la Kill will be on Toonami. Will make sure I DVR it for multiple rewatches. At least until all the BD's come out.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It's good that people who want to watch KLK dubbed and still have money left to eat and keep the lights on get a chance to now.

If your economical situation is in such a dire state that you simply cannot afford to spend $199.99 on anime spread over a 9-month long period then I would assume that watching Kill La Kill dubbed would be the least of your worries.

200 bucks for 25 episodes (and that's in its cheapest form, on DVD) in 2015 is ridiculous. Funimation is selling 26 episodes of Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray for just 42 bucks.

But unlike Kill la Kill, Cowboy Bebop has been around for at least a decade. That's like saying you don't want to pay $26 for Big Hero 6 on BD because Gone with the Wind is only $4. Yes, I know KLK is being ridiculously priced, i'm just pointing out how absurd your comparison is.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Funimation is selling 26 episodes of Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray for just 42 bucks.

You conveniently overlook the fact that Cowboy Bebop has been round the block a few times already. This means that not only has it made plenty of money already, but the market for it is more saturated than a brand-new show. Therefore charging too much is both unnecessary and counterproductive.

Fine, let's take that into consideration. Even at sixty dollars, SIXTY DOLLARS more, the CB Blu-Ray set would be 100 dollars, which is still only HALF the amount of KLK on DVD.

Do you think KLK is going to go down in price? I very much doubt it. Maybe a little if we're lucky. If anything, it'll most likely go UP in price, because it'll become out of print and then the sharks will sell it for eight or nine times its worth as sellers on Amazon (this is something Amazon needs to crack down on), all in the name of "supply and demand".

With Aniplex it's either buy now or never. If we see a KLK DVD set somewhere down the road, even just a few years from now, for sixty dollars, the same sixty dollars more it would take for CB's Blu-Ray set to just be HALF as expensive, I might purchase it (I'd prefer KLK on Blu-Ray, but whatever). But it's not likely to happen.

Because the prestige buyers like to spend an extra forty or fifty dollars on a chipboard box and some postcards. Things that cost maybe ten dollars to make altogether. And Aniplex then concludes, "Hey, this is working." Unfortunately, it is. At that price point, you're not paying for the anime. You're paying solely for the clout. So that you can say, "Hey, I own this really expensive thing."

But, to Aniplex's credit, at least they stream, and now we'll even get to see KLK on television. I just don't have a whole lot more positive things to say.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NorbieH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's good that people who want to watch KLK dubbed and still have money left to eat and keep the lights on get a chance to now.

Keeping the lights on is highly overrated.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey Canada's YTV, get your shit together and bring back anime to television in this country too....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7