• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kill la Kill to Run on Toonami Starting in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Sez stuff...

I'm not going to even bother.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Actually, no. It's because the Canadian-US dollar exchange rate fell out of their favor (though I hear that's slowly turning around). They've always worked on western cartoons alongside anime. They're not even working on as many western cartoons as they did in the 90s for the same reason. Most of the ones they are working on are US-Canadian co-productions (or entirely Canadian productions).

Ah, I always had the impression that Canadian voice actors became the vogue for a while because they were willing to work for cheaper or there were looser regulations in Canada than the United States. (And I know they've worked on western animation frequently too, as I've been hearing them in western works since at least 1995, probably further back before I started paying attention to who voiced whom.)

The Ocean Group can be pretty hit-or-miss, in any case. They are really dependent on good voice direction. InuYasha is pure cheese, for instance, whereas Death Note is beautiful.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
MischievousMelody wrote:
Opportunity to finish Kill la Kill: Found.

I presume you meant to add "dubbed" to that declaration. Kill la Kill has been continuously available on Crunchyroll since it aired. Like most Aniplex shows it is also carried on Netflix, though again in Japanese.

I've never watched Toonami. Those of you who have, can you remember any other shows on that channel with a sequence like the "purification" scene in episode 16?

It doesn't have to mean she's been wanting to watch it dubbed. If you're like me and don't like to watch shows on the computer that often then it showing on Toonami is a plus. Hell, I've been wanting to check out Gurren Lagann for awhile, but never felt like watching it on my computer. I've been watching it on Toonami though. Plus not everyone has Netflix.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
That's nice an all. But how much money did Toonami blow to get this? Was it as much as AoT where Toonami can't license anything else? Are we gonna have to sit through a whole year of reruns, minus OP and Naruto once KLK ends?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
HOLY fudge, I Literally lost my breath, im hyped they finally made a good decision, i lost hope in them till this announcement, btw the dub is pretty damn good
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Awesome show, I thought they'd get it for a while but it seemed like it was becoming less likely. Great news!

Psycho-Pass should be next Smile
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to watching this dubbed, since it became hard to follow the narrative after a point while watching it subbed. Too much action going on screen.

While the 11:30 timeslot is convenient, I do wonder if it will be able to keep it. I can't remember the last time they aired something this ecchi.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I can't say much about how Toonami will deal with the sexual content for Kill la Kill but I can be pretty sure all the violence and gore will remain intact, considering the presence of shows like Mr. Pickles Good Boy and Superjail! on Adult Swim.

Very nerdy nitpick: it's just Mr. Pickles. And yeah, between that show and King Star King, which both have explicit nudity and sex scenes (in addition to violence, but Hellsing already dealt with that), if they're [S&P] okay with showing sideboob and non-nipple-based nudity, they should be in the clear, save for a few questionable moments.

I'm very excited for this news, but now I'm at something of a crossroads since I've yet to finish watching the show subbed, and I'm almost done with it. I could put it off and finish the series in dubbed form when those episodes air on Toonami in the summer, but I'm going to be waiting a really long time, so I may as well finish it now. The last episode I watched was #18, so it won't be too hard.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
That's nice an all. But how much money did Toonami blow to get this? Was it as much as AoT where Toonami can't license anything else? Are we gonna have to sit through a whole year of reruns, minus OP and Naruto once KLK ends?

They were able to get Gurren Lagann and Hellsing while AoT was still in premieres, plus another season of Space Dandy world premieres. I wouldn't worry about it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
If you're like me and don't like to watch shows on the computer that often then it showing on Toonami is a plus.

With most modern computers and TVs you can connect them with an HDMI cable and watch your computer on the TV. I'm doing that now. However my preferred client platform for Crunchyroll, and now Funimation, is my PS3.

Yes, Netflix has a subscription fee, but Crunchyroll, which I also mentioned, does not. You can subscribe to CR to remove ads and watch simulcasts when they are aired, but it's not required. You could watch all of Kill la Kill with subtitles right now for free on Crunchy if you can tolerate ads. You're presumably okay with ads if you're intending to watch Kill la Kill on Toonami.

Last edited by yuna49 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
NorbieH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
As much as I think Aniplex should be shut down, people overreact way too much...

Wanting a place to go out of business which will affect people's livelihoods is going a bit over the edge.

I've had the opportunity to listen to the first 4 episodes in an English dub and I've got a question, now I could be hearing it wrong.

For some reason a lot of the times in an English dub the characters don't sound their age whereas in a Japanese dub it feels like the characters do sound like their age. Now, I don't speak Japanese so I can't pick up language nuances like I can in English so maybe I'm hearing it wrong. But to me Satsuki Kiryuin sounds sometimes like a middle aged woman which throws me of and Ryuko Matoi also has her moments.

But if you can hear the nuances in Japanese languages, do the characters sound their age when you are watching a show in Japanese? Or is it the same as in an English dub where a teenager sounds like a 40 year old. I might be over saying it a bit much but you know what I mean.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
NorbieH wrote:
But to me Satsuki Kiryuin sounds sometimes like a middle aged woman

I haven't heard the English actress, but you might be amused to discover that Satsuki's Japanese voice actress is a middle-aged woman, 41-year-old Yuzuki Ryoka! Kill la Kill has one of the most experienced Japanese casts I've heard. Many of the actors were in their forties or older. At 28, Koshimizu Ami (Ryoko) and Suzaki Aya (Mako) were among the youngest performers.

I think both Ryoko and Satsuki sound "old" for their supposed ages on the Japanese sound track. On the other hand they are both supposed to be pretty mature, if not indeed overly mature, for teenagers. Also both actresses have much deeper voices than we are accustomed to hearing from modern female seiyuu which makes their performances stand out. Neither of them sound anything at all like Suzaki's Mako, whose high pitch is much more common in anime. I accepted the conceit about Satsuki and Ryoko early on and forgot about it as the show progressed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
It always felt to me that in Japanese voice acting, female characters are higher-pitched in voice overall than in English voice acting. For as long as I have heard Japanese voices in anime, those squeaky helium voices have always stood out to me and sounded unnatural. Now, I haven't heard the dub for Kill la Kill, but I do remember the Japanese voices for both Ryuko and Satsuki sounded way more natural than I was used to for anime, so maybe that was the direction the English dub went. Neither of them embody ordinary Japanese teenage femininity anyway.

Blatch wrote:
Very nerdy nitpick: it's just Mr. Pickles. And yeah, between that show and King Star King, which both have explicit nudity and sex scenes (in addition to violence, but Hellsing already dealt with that), if they're [S&P] okay with showing sideboob and non-nipple-based nudity, they should be in the clear, save for a few questionable moments.

Okay then, I've been seeing both "Mr. Pickles" and "Mr. Pickles Good Boy," so I wasn't sure which. I should've trusted TV Guide--whereas they get a lot of episode summaries or names wrong, I've never seen them have the name of a show wrong, and it was called "Mr. Pickles" there.

I didn't know King Star King made it onto Adult Swim's airwaves. I thought it was either just a home video release or streamed on the website.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

200 bucks for 25 episodes (and that's in its cheapest form, on DVD) in 2015 is ridiculous. Funimation is selling 26 episodes of Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray for just 42 bucks.

I just bought 12 episodes of a series for $200 from Japan. It's also supporting the creators directly, unlike buying stuff from Funimation that just goes to produce more dubs.

Cowboy Bebop is a series from decades ago. It costs them literally nothing to sell more of it. They could sell the full series for $5 and still make money.

{Edit - Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Really, this should be interesting. Well, I guess we getting some skin in the late slot. Well, I don't need it as I've already got my set. Come Feb. vol. 4. The only way I'll catch KLK on Toonami is if it's Sat. and I fell asleep with the TV on only to wake up and "oh, crap it's on, let get a good laugh for 5 min before I turn off the TV and go to sleep".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7