• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Support of Sorts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabrek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
The only project I'd consider undertaking on my own would be v5 of Kuruizaki no Hana/Demon Flowers. It's the final volume of that series, and boy did v4 end on a cliffhanger. I have both the Japanese tankouban and TokyoPop's German-language release, and I expect to eventually work my way through the German text with an online translator so I know how the freaking thing turns out. That said, I'm late for services at Our Lady of Perpetual Procrastination so it's fortunate that no one's counting on me to reveal the secrets of v5.

Ah, bloopers and improvs. My all-time favorite throwaway line is from Rurouni Kenshin, at the end of the second season (Kyoto arc). Richard Epcar (as Richard George) voiced Seijuro Hiko, who tells Kenshin, "Keep the umbrella. It's broken." I rarely rip audio from DVDs, but that line's on my iPod, and it makes me grin every time it comes around.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Why wait, when you could be reading the manga right now. Back when I started learning Japanese, the day after I received the hiragana chart, I started to translate the Tachibana chapter of Mahoraba Ao fanbook. I used the vocabulary I had learned from anime, a really lousy dictionary and the free time and passion for stupid things only a NEET could have. It took around 10 hours (about one hour per day for two weeks) of not-so-hard work, but I emerged victorious (except for two words).

Thanks for the encouragement! I suppose in a way I was putting it off because I was thinking of the money >.< But you are right, the motivation factor there is high! I'm assuming it has furigana? Because that would make it a way better learning tool than those visual kei magazines I bought. May I ask where you bought it too? *is pumped now Anime hyper*
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
It's funny how U.S. anime companies and their diehard fans litter the internet with morality police b.s. about “supporting the industry” and buying official releases,to the point of even attacking people who watch legal streams,and then when one of these loyal supporters gets a defective product for their money (a lot of money,too,not an impulse buy) Funi says “Go f--k yourself.”
If companies want to stop piracy,they need to offer a decent product at a fair price,not a product -worse- than what the pirates get for free. Because like the kid said in his email,any judge will just say,“LOL japanimation" and be done with it.
Maybe it's not right or fair,but it's how it is. Now over to the Funimation Defense Force to explain why people should be happy to pay for faulty discs.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
It's funny how U.S. anime companies and their diehard fans litter the internet with morality police b.s. about “supporting the industry” and buying official releases,to the point of even attacking people who watch legal streams,and then when one of these loyal supporters gets a defective product for their money (a lot of money,too,not an impulse buy) Funi says “Go f--k yourself.”
If companies want to stop piracy,they need to offer a decent product at a fair price,not a product -worse- than what the pirates get for free. Because like the kid said in his email,any judge will just say,“LOL japanimation" and be done with it.
Maybe it's not right or fair,but it's how it is. Now over to the Funimation Defense Force to explain why people should be happy to pay for faulty discs.

You shouldn't be happy to pay for faulty disc, but at the same time you should understand that you need to make sacrifices to actually get what you want. Too many times people act like anime is some magical thing that comes into the existence out of thin air.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Kidnicky wrote:

You shouldn't be happy to pay for faulty disc, but at the same time you should understand that you need to make sacrifices to actually get what you want. Too many times people act like anime is some magical thing that comes into the existence out of thin air.

You should make sacrifices for expensive BluRay discs to work correctly? lolwut? Why are anime fans like this? If the DVD of say,“ kindergarten cop” didn't work,consumers would demand refunds. Anime fans,though,can't wait to pay for stuff that isn't up to par with what they can DL,and can't wait to help the companies come up with excuses.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
It's funny how U.S. anime companies and their diehard fans litter the internet with morality police b.s. about “supporting the industry”
So expecting to be paid for work you do is "b.s." Half the world lives on about $2.50 a day... are you telling your employer not to pay you more than that, or are you a hypocrite? (I can play the Logical Fallacy Game, too!)
Quote:
and buying official releases,to the point of even attacking people who watch legal streams
I've never seen that. But if it's happening, yes, anyone "attacking people who watch legal streams" is a tool. (Assuming they're not circumventing advertising in those streams, or something.)
Quote:
They shouldn't. Notice NIS has run three (or five) replacement programs among their first four releases: faulty discs on the first Toradora and Pandora Hearts sets that had ghosting issues were replaced, then those got re-replaced since the mailers sometimes scratched the replacement discs, and recently they replaced the artbox for the 2nd Fox Deity set.

But hey, true anime fans out there, feel free to use this as an excuse to keep stealing stuff!
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Funny, I've only had one negative experience with customer service in anime and it was also funimation. My first set of Dragon ball had two first disks andstead of disk two. E-mailing funimation got me a very short "exchange it at the store" reply. Since I bought it online my correct item cost me an extra 15 dollars in shipping and duty fees. Yep. I had to pay duty on an item once, then again when my replacement came, plus the cost to re-ship the correct item.

Bandai's disks may have been crap several times (3 bad disks throughout Gundam Seed + Destiny alone) but at least I never got gouged on replacements.
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
That cat looked so miserable. Why would someone do that?

Getting back to anime, If I ever had the disposable income, I would want to release Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I know I wouldn't make any money, but the show is that good and it needs a legitimate release.

I would buy that,I never seen LotGH but just hearing Zac talk about it in all those ANNcasts has me interested . I've given though to fansubs but I have no idea which ones are any good so I've never bothered to even look for them.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
fub wrote:
I wonder if it can be considered 'piracy' if you own (and paid for) the original. Is ripping something you own (so that you can view it on some other hardware, for instance a portable video player) forbidden in the US? Here it's considered fair use.

If you are ripping something for your own personal use, that's fine, AFAIK (barring issues such as the DMCA making the ripping software itself illegal if the rip involves breaking DRM). If you rip something to distribute it, whether you distribute it over the Internet or on, say, bootleg DVDs, that's flat-out illegal, generally speaking.

i don't know if things have changed recently, but since this person already owns the blu-rays, wouldn't downloading fall under fair use? my understanding is that downloading itself isn't illegal, it's downloading stuff you don't own that is (just like ripping discs you own isn't illegal, it's the software you use to do it with that is).

i'm glad i read this; i didn't know about the audio issue with the samurai 7 blu-ray set. i was planning on buying it, but i won't be now. maybe i should email funimation and let them know they've lost a sale. "i'm not going to give you money" will probably get their attention better than "i'm not happy, but i've already given you my money".

and boo on funimation for addressing this as a 'minor issue'. for starters, it's not minor. and second, like brian said, you NEVER tell your customer their concern is a minor issue.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
i don't know if things have changed recently, but since this person already owns the blu-rays, wouldn't downloading fall under fair use? my understanding is that downloading itself isn't illegal, it's downloading stuff you don't own that is (just like ripping discs you own isn't illegal, it's the software you use to do it with that is).

The catch is that the person who uploads rips from DVDs is infringing on copyright. AFAIK, whether the downloader of such content is liable varies from country to country.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
That cat... wow I'm in LOVE with it's Youtube channel! For all those thinking it's mean, other videos show him swimming, and another shows him jumping INTO the water treadmill and he started doing it all on his own! This thing loves water! And is absolutely adorable! ...and he gets his own car seat Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't understand how, in the age of the internet, with all this free information, people can still send in questions like this week's flake. Not only did they contact the wrong person, they asked to do something illegal because its more difficult to do it illegal on another website.

This world is crazy.
Some mother's do have 'em, and they lives. Wink
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
@ Brian

Unless your family is staying all summer, there is a little con at the end of July on the East Coast called Otakon, that is calling your name.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Oyasumi Punpun

It really really has to be read.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters tend to have bloopers on their releases. I've seen the bloopers for Knight Hunters, Knight Hunters Eternity, Rurouni Kenshin and Magic Knight Rayearth, all of which were very funny, especailly the Knight Hunter and Rurouni Kenshin bloopers.

By the way, those Berserk bloopers I saw were funny as hell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3