• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Support of Sorts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
i don't know if things have changed recently, but since this person already owns the blu-rays, wouldn't downloading fall under fair use? my understanding is that downloading itself isn't illegal, it's downloading stuff you don't own that is (just like ripping discs you own isn't illegal, it's the software you use to do it with that is).

The license is generally only good for watching what is on the disc, which in this case is apparently junk. *makes note to watch ep.5 on the DVDs when I get around to that series*

I've always hated gag reels. Not only are the almost never funny, but they always seem so forced & more scripted than the show itself. Even when not talking about the Pixar stuff: hmm, promoting the "in character"-ness versus the fact that some team had to spend countless hours creating and rendering the botch-take visuals.... yeah, that sounds spontaneous.

*parts by waving money at those proprosing to translate the FMP novels*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:

Anyway, the short answer: I would license the Full Metal Panic! light novels, assuming the Tokyopop holding company (there is one, right?) does not still have the rights.

All of Tokyopop's acquisitions have reverted back to the licensor companies.

Fabe wrote:
jrnemanich wrote:

Getting back to anime, If I ever had the disposable income, I would want to release Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I know I wouldn't make any money, but the show is that good and it needs a legitimate release.

I would buy that,I never seen LotGH but just hearing Zac talk about it in all those ANNcasts has me interested . I've given though to fansubs but I have no idea which ones are any good so I've never bothered to even look for them.

If ya don't have the patience to do that, ya wouldn't have the patience to go thru all of LoGH. Wink

In fact, back in the day, LoGH was at one point offered for localization if about 2000 people agreed to pay about $1700 for the whole VHS(?) set. As you could see, it never reached that 2000. Laughing

TarsTarkas wrote:
@ Brian

Unless your family is staying all summer, there is a little con at the end of July on the East Coast called Otakon, that is calling your name.

That's a much farther side trip from Arizona! Laughing

bglassbrook wrote:

I've always hated gag reels. Not only are the almost never funny, but they always seem so forced & more scripted than the show itself. Even when not talking about the Pixar stuff: hmm, promoting the "in character"-ness versus the fact that some team had to spend countless hours creating and rendering the botch-take visuals.... yeah, that sounds spontaneous.

Just think of 'em like the anime omake theaters. Those are funny, right? Laughing
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
When I google “omake theater” I get a truly terrible webcomic (redundant phrase lol) and references to those little chibi segments from original Gunbuster. What exactly are we talking about?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
When I google “omake theater” I get a truly terrible webcomic (redundant phrase lol) and references to those little chibi segments from original Gunbuster. What exactly are we talking about?

Yes, that's a famous one.

Omake are just bonuses, usually at the end of the episode, often characters act out-of-character, break the 4th-wall for gags, kinda like a blooper reel......... except the skit is actually scripted. Laughing
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:

Omake literally means 'extra', and it just refers to little 'bonus cartoons' some show have on their disc. I always think of the Blue Seed ones first (since there's an opening sequence with a chibi cast chanting "o-ma-ke!o-ma-ke!" before each show). They're also omake bits on Utawarerumono and Fushigi Yugi that I remember.

It's different from a blooper reel, which is the English VAs either making mistakes during recording (Weiss Kreuz has some good ones for that), or recording new silly dialog instead (Legend of the Last Labyrinth is largely only worth owning for its blooper reel.)
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
it is interesting that Brian is master of finding these cool random videos for the flakes once he gets these funny letters...

is this Brian's special skill or something?.. because i am avid YouTube viewer but i never stumble upon these wierd things Brian like to watch... Wink
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
fub wrote:
I wonder if it can be considered 'piracy' if you own (and paid for) the original. Is ripping something you own (so that you can view it on some other hardware, for instance a portable video player) forbidden in the US? Here it's considered fair use.

I believe the Fair Use Act says you have to create the archive yourself. So downloading the item even though you own it would be piracy.

Penguin_Factory wrote:
I'm a pretty vehement opponent of anime piracy, but I wouldn't blame the first questioner at all for just downloading a fansub of the episode in question. He's already paid for it, so where's the harm?

I really hope when you say you're an opponent of anime piracy you actually mean you're against all kinds of piracy.
rojse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
jrnemanich wrote:
That cat looked so miserable. Why would someone do that?

Getting back to anime, If I ever had the disposable income, I would want to release Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I know I wouldn't make any money, but the show is that good and it needs a legitimate release.

I would buy that,I never seen LotGH but just hearing Zac talk about it in all those ANNcasts has me interested . I've given though to fansubs but I have no idea which ones are any good so I've never bothered to even look for them.

The only fansubs I have found for "Legend of Galactic Heroes" are by Central Anime, and they're quite good - there are few grammar and spelling errors in the subs (I can't speak for how accurate the translations are), they do translate all of the kanji, and reintroduce characters if they haven't been in the last few episodes, which can be quite helpful in such a large and expansive space opera as LOGH. They've also translated every single episode and movie of the series, too.

I would suggest that you might consider looking at the first few episodes of the fansubs - the show hasn't yet been licenced outside of Japan, and the first few episodes are quite indicative of the overall style of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3