• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yatterman Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Completely with you on how pretty and flowing the fight scene was in this episode. I was wondering if we were only going to have robot fights (noses vs bees was still unexpected on that front) for the majority of the show, but we're clearly in for some super powered fisticuffs. I also agree that this episode stands out from the others. Until now the lovable gang has failed upwards. Every defeat had them cheerfully moving forward, but this week cut the upbeat and comical tone of their failures. They've got a long road ahead of them, and I'm eager to watch them continue their journey.
Lord of the Fleas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, the show presented it's most cruel juxtaposition so far:
spoiler[ Doronbow decides to overthrow Yatterman, triumphant music starts playing, music stops, cut to bear-man dying, cut back to Leopard cheering, music starts again. ]
Yeah, shows that she really is just a child with a naive, idealistic worldview and has not realized that spoiler[ people's lives are at stake here ].
Casting the voice actor who played Sayaka Mikki is kind of fitting.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those last couple of scenes were a pretty potent juxtaposition, weren't they?

I agree with everything Rose said, but one aspect that I don't think is getting enough credit is the awesome musical score. It's nearly indispensable to the tones and sentimentality that the series is promoting and easily the best one of the season.

And my, are they trying to imply that spoiler[Goro may actually be Alouette's fahter]?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
my favorite part was when Galina spoiler[died on the Yattercross for my sins]

this show's good Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The episode never specifies what lavender means in "the language of flowers," but I looked it up. It means a lot of things, but the "most common meaning of the Lavender flower is love and devotion."

According to Wiki, the Japanese meaning is "Loyalty," which is pretty much the same idea. But Leopard holding up the flower and saying she knew they'd come, followed by the reply of the wife pig (I'll be waiting!) when given the lavender by Oda-sama suggested to me that the meaning here was "I will return," which is still in keeping with the devotion and loyalty theme. If he told her that was the meaning, then it explains how she found the courage to go ahead on her own, confident that they would show up in time so that she would not be alone.

@Key: I think your speculation is spot on.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
You know, the original Yatterman had a lot of sexual comedy and sexual moments too. It wouldn't be Yatterman if it didn't have that. I'm still enjoying the show tremendously 'sophomoric' humor or no. It's meant to be a silly show on the side as well.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with "sexual moments." I have a problem with sexualized shots of a prepubescent girl. Framing an adult woman that way, like the original Doronjo was, is completely different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the quieter, more introspective and relationship-building moments, which we got exactly one of this time.

ha, I tought you were going to talk about (especially since this might become a coming of age show) leopard falling in love with galina.

About sexualizing the loli, this show is so far-far-far from the ones that actually do that, that it seems to be on the other spectrum, like it is teasing the people who would watch a show because of that, then giving them nothing but the slighter tease just to keep them coming; I think it is not doing taht on purpose, but is great how we get scenes where everybody gets their clothes ripped and all the hot/lean/muscular are naked while they give the only rag of clothing to the loli jsut to keep the lolicons on edge.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I definitely noticed Leopard's reactions to Galina in this episode too. It makes me hopeful that challenging her B&W views will still happen. spoiler[If the speculation about his and Allouette's heritage turns out to be true than two people she comes to love will have a direct connection with her enemy.]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
yes, that speculation is just magnific, that plus the coming of age plus the possible romance can make the second half quite loaded.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
It might be worth noting that the Doronjo in the live-action movie was in love with Yatterman.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that the review has missed to mention how General Goro has reacted twice to Galina and Ally (when Galina was taken captive last week, and when he was shown an image of Allouette sleeping in the cell this episode). His robo-dog seems to react to them too. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to be hinting that Goro may be connected to them, (maybe even one of their presumed dead parents)
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't think you're reading too much into it. I had it in my notes and I'm surprised I forgot to put it in the review. I'll probably talk about it next week if the next episode keeps building on it.

I've suspected for a while that there's something to Gatchan and Alouette's spoiler[strong resemblance to Lord and Lady Yatterman], pretty sure I've mentioned it before. Glad that isn't just there as symbolism, but might actually play a role in the plot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind Leopard having a crush on Gatchan, but the thought of them actually "getting together" honestly never crossed my mind because of their age difference. Leopard is only nine while Gatchan is seventeen, so it comes across as more like puppy love than something that is actually going to happen. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems a little weird to me. It was a good episode though, very cute and poingant.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, once you're past the statutory rape line, eight years isn't that much a difference (like if Leopard were 21 and Galina 29), so I don't think it's completely unimaginable that they might end up together in the not-so-distant future.

CrowLia wrote:
General Goro has reacted twice to Galina and Ally (when Galina was taken captive last week, and when he was shown an image of Allouette sleeping in the cell this episode). His robo-dog seems to react to them too. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to be hinting that Goro may be connected to them, (maybe even one of their presumed dead parents)

Just to follow up my theory, this episode revealed that Ally's father is/was called Gorozo. Coincidence? I think not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4