• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yatterman Night

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Just to follow up my theory, this episode revealed that Ally's father is/was called Gorozo. Coincidence? I think not.

Yeah, and now that we've seen her father's facial hair, along with the lavender reaction, I don't think there's any doubt now. The only thing left is for them to just say it out loud. Smile
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
Leopard is only nine while Gatchan is seventeen, so it comes across as more like puppy love than something that is actually going to happen. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems a little weird to me. It was a good episode though, very cute and poingant.

Thanks for pointing this out! I must have missed when they mentioned their actual ages; I thought Leopard was older than that and Gatchan younger. (I figured some time had passed since the earlier episodes, or something.) Yeah, that definitely changes my feelings about them getting together. Maybe when they're both grown, though?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shunka Shuutou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
navycherub wrote:
Leopard is only nine while Gatchan is seventeen, so it comes across as more like puppy love than something that is actually going to happen. Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems a little weird to me. It was a good episode though, very cute and poingant.

Thanks for pointing this out! I must have missed when they mentioned their actual ages; I thought Leopard was older than that and Gatchan younger. (I figured some time had passed since the earlier episodes, or something.) Yeah, that definitely changes my feelings about them getting together. Maybe when they're both grown, though?

Their ages are listed in the Character section of the official site, so don't worry, you didn't miss anything (on the other hand, the trio's birthdays aren't in there...why would you reveal them through a collaboration with a social game of all things? Confused).

Here are the others' ages, by the way: Voltkatze's 25, Elephantus' 29 (more like 30, since today is his birthday) and Alouette's 17, the same as Galina's. Oda and Dorothy's are unknown. spoiler[She's more or less around Elephantus' age in my headcanon.]
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For example, the "risqué performance" at the top of this episode did a lot to assuage my fears about sexualizing Leopard.

told ya two episodes ago
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
You mean in your mess of a comment condemning people for not getting "sex humor" if they were the least bit put off by that?

Last edited by SailorTralfamadore on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
There is one thing that's bothering me for a while.

Last week, the reviewer claimed that Alouette is blind after pitying her during a bathing scene. However this episode,she seems able to see a robot dog.

So,Is it really she's blind or am I just overthinking?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
There are times when she is clearly blind (whether actually or hysterically is not so clear), and other times like this one that make you wonder. I think she recognized the dog's bark, and was sad when it disappeared, but then again, she took her eyeless mask off when she heard it, which wouldn't be something she'd do if she were always blind (unless she wanted the dog to recognize her?). Maybe selective blindness? She sees what she wants to see? Smile
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Selective blindness? lol. I guess you're right.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well….that wasn't what I expected from this show.

My thoughts exactly. The big reveal was definitely the most mind-boggling plot twist of the season to date, since it basically recasts everything that has happened in the series into a different light.

I find the whole "the villain controls the populace by taking on the guise of the hero" angle to be a fascinating one, and look forward to seeing how Leopard in particular deals with it. I agree with Rose that the other generals probably don't know the truth and were brainwashed into loyalty (one theory discussed in the Anime forum thread is that they are all Yatterman descendants) and would further posit that this may have all been some sort of test of worthiness for the Doronbow gang: if they could make their way to the capital, they would be worthy to serve the boss.

Anyway, fully agreed that this was an outstanding episode. This has, in general, been a very strong week so far, and this was one of the highlights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
while the big reveal was the less interesting thign to wrap this up, it was also the fstest way to do so, especially considering there are only 2 episodes left.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I didn't hold out on the tears on the part that Rose is talking about. Kinda caught me off guard, actually. (And for the record, I didn't get the slightest bit weepy-eyed at Wolf's Rain, either, but my disdain for that show and its ending is pretty well-known.) I found the villain's big reveal more interesting, as it shows a level of insidious thoroughness in his motives and methods that's rare to find; the cutting irony of how "working for Lord Yatterman" was meant literally was a nice touch, too.

At this point they'll have to really screw up the ending for this to not be a strong contender for my Top 5 list for the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
As a newcomer it was indeed important for Dokurobey's ramblings, and I thought it was rather humorous, and also sympathise that although he might have been a villain he had reasons. Until he went down a spiral of revenge.

Tears were indeed shed.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Epsiode 12:

Quote:
This scene involves some gorgeous animation. I especially loved the fluidity of Elephantus' punches during his battle. His fists swelled in size as they attacked, like big white blobs. Yatterman Night has excelled in its fluid and creative animation.
Well, sure it involves some gorgeous animation. It's just that the amount of gorgeous animation they had was about a third of the run-time of the fight, and had to be reused in the most inappropriate ways. Which, I guess, could work as a throwback idea, but looked like a budget overrun to me.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I felt the finale very rushed. It needs at least one episode to show how is life now in Yatter Metropolis, or how is life for Leopard and his friends. Hopefully, we can get that as an OVA, where Doronbow and the new Yatterman can get together again.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
The only way I can understand that ending is as a setup for a sequel, where for some reason Doronbou has yet again to clash with Yatterman. maybe as enemies (just because you remove a head of state does not mean you have transformed a dystopia into an utopia) or maybe as rqual rivals for a yet to be determined goal. Since this is late night anime they could have added many saucy elements not present in the original, but they didn't and my bet is that this will be later on broadcast on a more family friendly slot hoping for a high ranking. If gatchaman crowds achieved a sequel, I do not think it is to hard this one will too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4