• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon Vegas 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
No convention is perfect. I would love to try it out for the reasons Bamboo stated. With me being on the East Coast though, doesn't make it cost effective.

Same for me just going to hope they will have a strong guest list for Otakon this year in Baltimore.
Hupiom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
It was Will Call only. It would have been nice if LANTIS had stated that you'd have the option of picking up your tickets at the con. Or, what they could have done was to specify that, if you bought your tickets at the con, you'd pick them up there, and if you bout them ahead of time, you'd pick them up at Hard Rock. It was sort of confusing because it was never stated, and you couldn't exactly assume that neither event was affiliated with the other due to their promotions.

I'm not sure when you ordered your tickets, but I bought mine in November and was given the option to have them mailed to me for an additional $5. Although, if I'd known they were still going to be selling tickets at the convention, I would have waited to buy them so I could save myself $15 (AXS charged a $10 "Convenience Fee").
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Thanks, I'm looking forward to the review of the Lantis festival in Las Vegas.

Review: It was freaking AWESOME. Especially seeing Choucho. See did a collab on Saturday with Sayaka Sasaki of "Enter Enter Mission!". God-tier. Yousei broke equipment by playing too loud lol. Only problem was that the turnout was really low. From what I heard from people, it was because of lack of advertising. ANN giving tickets away like 3 days before the concert didn't help at all. Should've done that months ago to boost hype. I emailed every major site about it the day it was announced but none mentioned it for a while after. I was really sad about the low turn out. VERY happy about the performances. All the artists were amazing. I didn't even like Faylan until Friday night.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

I also didn't like that, if you purchased your tickets ahead of time, you had to pick them up at Hard Rock Hotel, whereas, if you bought them at the con, you could pick them up at OV. Several of us commented how it felt like we were being punished for planning and purchasing ahead.

Hm, this I didn't know. I assumed that AXS, the third-party ticketing company in charge of the tickets, had a mail option, in addition to their Will Call option. Was it Will Call-only? If that is the case, that's something I'd pin on AXS or the venue itself, since they are the ones that dictate pre-sale ticket delivery options. I assume (I don't know this for sure) that Lantis just bought/reserved a fat stack of tickets to sell on-site at Otakon Vegas for additional exposure.

I don't even see how this is an issue....The concert itself took place 10 feet away from the ticket booth, so you just had to go up and up tickets, walk back 20 feet to get in line with everyone else and done. Non-issue. Like I said above, apparently they did bad "additional" exposure, since most people I talked to said they only found out about the concert like 2-3 weeks ago. I only knew about it since day 1 because I'm a hardcore fan and was following all the artists on twitter and facebook. Also, could print tickets from home if you bought them at home.

Cutiebunny also said " The LANTIS concert was also good, though I didn't enjoy the mile walk or $6.80 one way cab fare just to the location from Planet Hollywood." Again, something I wouldn't consider an issue. It's a short 10 minute walk with my short Asian legs and the weather was great both days. Cab care I can understand because the cabs in Vegas think a 40% tip is normal and are mostly rude. edit: I walked to Planet Hollywood after the concert for dinner, but did not go to the con.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a good time at both events. I missed out on the con because I went to Vegas for the concert and to visit my mother I hadn't seen in 6 years. Concert was probably the best thing in my life. Just so full of awesome, but more on that on the actual concert post whenever it happens Smile
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Review: It was freaking AWESOME. Especially seeing Choucho. See did a collab on Saturday with Sayaka Sasaki of "Enter Enter Mission!". God-tier. Yousei broke equipment by playing too loud lol. Only problem was that the turnout was really low.
VERY happy about the performances. All the artists were amazing. I didn't even like Faylan until Friday night.
Concert was probably the best thing in my life. Just so full of awesome, but more on that on the actual concert post whenever it happens Smile

I think that you had the same appreciation that I did when I attended concerts in Japan, having attended Animelo Summer Live in 2011, 2012, and 2013, see here for artists and set lists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animelo_Summer_Live#2011

I see that you commented on the Japan Times article about the Lantis Festival in Las Vegas:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2015/01/13/music/lantis-looks-woo-dedicated-fan-base-anisong-tour/#.VMGgNeqq8WP

I'm just a bit disappointed for the artists' and the US fans' sake that there wasn't a better turnout.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

When the guests want to say "Yes," or when they want to do more autographs, they will overule their handlers. I've also seen that happen many times.

In short, if the handlers say "No," and the guest says nothing, it means the handlers are probably doing exactly what the guest wants them to do (some guests are too shy to overrule their handlers...).

Having had the benefit of going to several cons for several years, I have also seen the exact opposite, where the guest will argue with the handler, and the handler will triumph because the guest doesn't want to sour their relationship with the company and/or is too polite to feel that any more argument is necessary. Obviously, a number of outcomes can occur.

With Sushio, though, I never got the feeling that he didn't want to draw. He continually drew throughout his panel, even after he finished sketching the obligatory 2-3 sketches that Aniplex decided to raffle. If you hate drawing or arrogant like the Haruhiko Mikimotos and Akemi Takadas of the world, you meet your contractual obligations and you stop. You don't continue to draw, even after the first raffle ended, in the hope of giving away more stuff to even more fans.

As for Aniplex treating their guests well, that depends on the guest. They gave Sushio pretty crummy seats at the Lantis concert on Friday night. He was not sitting in the VIP section nor in a private area. He was on the right side in the 'cheap seats' section.

Tempest wrote:
Can't say I agree with this decision. True that the odds are it should sell for more at an auction where there are more buyers present. However Sushio was at OV, and the sketch is a piece of the OV "story." IMHO, it would have been a cooler, more complete story if the piece went to auction at OV. Particularly since, as you said, many people traveled to OV to see Sushio, and those fans deserved an opportunity to bid on the sketch.

I'm glad we agree on this point. Another thing management seemed to neglect is, by the time Otakon rolls around, many of these same bidders have already gone to several other conventions. They're not going to hold off on bidding on other charity auction items and will likely be tapped out by the time Otakon rolls around. Knowing the people who are likely to bid on these items personally, I can say, without a doubt, that none of them will hold off on bidding in other charity auctions in lieu of saving those funds for Otakon.

Regarding the Lantis ticket, I purchased my ticket 3 weeks ago, and at that time, there was no mail option. The line to pick up the tickets, before the show opened, was pretty long/slow moving when I arrived to the venue 30 minutes prior to the start of the concert. OV also was running a promotion where they would scan your Lantis ticket for entry into their Lantis party contest. Entry for the contest stopped at 2pm on Saturday, meaning that, if you attended the Saturday performance, you had to have your ticket prior to the concert.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

As for Aniplex treating their guests well, that depends on the guest. They gave Sushio pretty crummy seats at the Lantis concert on Friday night. He was not sitting in the VIP section nor in a private area. He was on the right side in the 'cheap seats' section.

They also didn't stop him from running up to the stage. After Okui's set started, I looked over to see if he was still singing along (as he was with Kageyama), and noticed that he was right in front of the stage, glow-stickin' his heart out.

(By the way, that section was in a "private area" for Lantis/Aniplex/etc guests only.)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Can't say I agree with this decision. True that the odds are it should sell for more at an auction where there are more buyers present. However Sushio was at OV, and the sketch is a piece of the OV "story." IMHO, it would have been a cooler, more complete story if the piece went to auction at OV. Particularly since, as you said, many people traveled to OV to see Sushio, and those fans deserved an opportunity to bid on the sketch.

-t

That does seem like a big mistake. The reasoning is pretty obvious, but from the charity auctions I've attended, it is clear that how special an item feels drives up its price considerably. Things that were done specifically for the con I go to had substantial bidding while the more generic things that would just go on to the next convention, if not sold that day, were lucky to go beyond the opening bid.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

That had nothing to do with Aniplex.

Those seats were given to him for by Lantis, and those seats were for the guests of Lantis. Senior Lantis staff, the Otakon BOD, as well as a few other VIPs, were in that section. Other Lantis Guests preferred the private balconies upstairs in back.

Arguably, those seats were the real VIP seats...

Everyone in that section was allowed into the front "VIP" section if they wanted, and that's where Sushio actually spent most of the concert.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
When the guests want to say "Yes," or when they want to do more autographs, they will overule their handlers. I've also seen that happen many times.

FWIW, I don't entirely disagree with you on this. Maybe you should consider a polite campaign to convince Aniplex to allow more than just a signature (ie: a sketch) at smaller events where there is the time to do so... if the guest is willing. If there's time for sketches, they're certainly a whole lot more awesome than just a signature...

However, personally, asking for more than one of anything is greedy. 1 signature / sketch per person is very reasonable.

I really don't understand why people are angry that Aniplex didn't allow a "round 2." I do understand the disappointment, but not the anger.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2