• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluepita

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Dear God, instead of going through the entire debate again, can't we just refer the rant writer to the insanely long thread regarding the FullMetal Alchemist edit?? Every possible opinion relating to it is there, discussed beyond all reason. It would've been easier for him to search for that thread than typing his piece.

I noticed the newness of cons wore off for me this year. Like Zac suggested, I tried going to different panels than I would normally choose. It was nice, because I was exposed to things I would not normally come across. For instance, I have absolutely no artistic ability, so I tend to avoid activities centered on that. However, a friend talked me into going to one of Steve Bennet's cel painting group, and it was a lot of fun. Just listening to his stories was enough to make it worth my time.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Wolverine Princess wrote:
roujin wrote:
as long as there is no dumb 4chan meme cosplay, everything will be right with the wolrd.

I've seen a few excellent 4chan meme cosplay photos on the ‘net, and no matter how many times it's done before I still laugh out loud whenever I see Raptor Jesus.

I totally hate the "Habbo Raid/Nigra/POOLS CLOSED/CON'S CLOSED crap as of late. One question: Why?

The head of a dinosaur on the body of Jesus Christ does not amuse you? Well, I guess everyone can't share my discriminating sense of humor. (And last I checked Raptor Jesus didn’t have anything to do with the Habbo Raid. Here’s His Bible if anyone is interested, but it’s far too long and too stupid for even me to finish reading it.)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:

The head of a dinosaur on the body of Jesus Christ does not amuse you?

....Not really, no. Now, the head of a bear on the body of an albatross...maybe.

Anyway...I went to my first con this year and I have a hard time imagining being burnt out on it...then again, I'm the sort of person who thrives on crowds and costumes. And, well, it was only my first.

And on the rant...I'm a bit too tired of the argument to say much but one thing...

...Anyone who thinks that Naruto is not a kids show is fooling themselves. Older kids, sure--more like preteens--but it's DEFIANTELY a show that's aimed towards kids. Not to say it's not good, or that adults can't enjoy it (heck, I'm the sort of person who loves Spongebob Squarepants).

Oh...and I don't think you're EVER too old to stand in line to get a new console or see a movie at midnight. ...Then again, I'm only 19, sooo...Anime hyper

(Edited because I kept forgetting stuff)

Last edited by MorwenLaicoriel on Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Vash024 wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
rant wrote:
While it has more style than Berserk which consists of only "Blood and Boobs,"
I wouldn't open that can of worms if I were you. There's obviously more to it then that*. Why else would it be the #1 Manga? And watch out for the fanboys.

*I've never actually read it but, judging by what people say, it is an amazing series.

Oh believe me, there's much more to it than that. This person clearly doesn't understand the creativity of Miura. I bet my life on it that he hasn't read any of it or enough of it.

Probably skimmed through the first couple volumes and passed it off for tits and gore. To be fair the first few volumes aren't the greatest things of any manga, but to make an assessment like that based on something that has more than thirty volumes and with no sign of stopping soon is very much ignorant. There is a reason why the Berserk manga holds the top title for manga here at ANN, and is arguably the most popular seinen title out over here in North America, and it sure as hell ain't because of the sex and violence.

The rant this week was very disappointing. His "knowledge" about Berserk and his comparison to Basilisk knocked off any credibility, and his insinuation that Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto aren't shows whose target audience are kids just worsens that.

Simple answer: Berserk and Basilisk have adult content, Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto do not. If there is imagery that is risqué in either when it comes to something like Christianity or an ignorant confusion of the manji (if I recall correctly, that is what it's called) in the material for the latter types, then they'll take it out in fear of being called out for selling products with questionable subjects to a market of that consists of children and teens.

Really, I can understand not being all that hot over the Fullmetal Alchemist edit just based on the principle of not being for censorship at all (as I am), but to throw a fit like Viz just destroyed the series is outlandish. It's done, get over it. If you can't tolerate it, don't buy it, and let Viz know your opinion in a calm and intelligent manner. If you still buy it, tolerate it while reading it, yet still bitch, then you have no business putting forth your opinion.
otimus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
I no longer think I can support the Answerman and his article endeavors, simply based off of this little sentence he said elsewhere... "Attempting to bring serious financial harm to a company simply for not making choices that please you 100 percent is selfish and tyrranical."

Talk about an uber capitalistic bending-over-for-the-companies attitude! Even if I agreed with everything else he says. HMPH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
I know it might sound a little snobbish, but some anime cons these days seem to be more "internet culture" cons than actual anime conventions.

...but that's also only noting the obvious: even Otakon, if you want to be technical about it, is a convention of/for *fans*...not necessarily anime fans exclusively...and there are several other cons that are now actively moving beyond being solely about anime, and trying to be to be 'animation conventions', or as the extreme, 'pop-culture conventions'.

...and then there's SDCC...

Last edited by CorneredAngel on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I don't have to deal with such editing of manga, since I always purchase the original Japanese version. Perhaps those who can't read Japanese can solve their problem by buying the original and downloading the scanlations? Confused
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
I no longer think I can support the Answerman and his article endeavors, simply based off of this little sentence he said elsewhere... "Attempting to bring serious financial harm to a company simply for not making choices that please you 100 percent is selfish and tyrranical."

Talk about an uber capitalistic bending-over-for-the-companies attitude! Even if I agreed with everything else he says. HMPH.

I can only hope you forgot to stick a smiley indicating sarcasm in that post. Because its pretty ridiculous otherwise.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:21 am Reply with quote
I almost felt the "shine and sparkle" of conventions wearing off, but every year I try and do something I've never done before, or I go with someone who's never been and get excited when they get excited.

Watch some iron-cosplay (make a costume in 20 minutes with scrap fabrics) that always gets a chuckle out of me.

Also, a lot of cons have some gaming activities going on concurrently and so I intend to check them out eventually.

Glomp a random person with a "glomp me" sign on them, or go up to a random cosplayer and try and get them to answer questions in character.

I like to spend time in corners and just do some people watching sometimes too.

I went to the art auction for my first time at the last con I went to, and walked away spending way too much money Anime hyper but it was neat to see the art and watch how much some of it went for.

Just, trying doing something random and fun that'll engage others. But, like it was mentioned, the shine may wear off, if so, take a break for a year and then maybe it'll feel fresh again. Smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
otimus wrote:

I think if you put that quote into context it'll make sense.

It isn't about bending over for the companies, but to suggest that the companies have to bend over for you is just as ridiculous.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:36 am Reply with quote
otimus pulled his head out of his ass and wrote:
I don't like to spend money on anime, so I'm going to pirate it and justify my stance by saying the companies are evil.

Translated.

Also, I really don't have a problem with a minor touchup in manga or anime here and there. Honestly, the digital bikinis in Tenchi Muyo's first airing? Totally agree with them. They changed how scenes like that were handled. The old way was to chop that out. Sit for a minute and try to imagine Tenchi Muyo with every nude scene just removed.

Also, before someone mentions the tea/sake thing. Here is direct proof that they KNEW we weren't stupid, we knew was going on, and only did JUST enough to get it past standards.

I have long since accepted that our culture - well, the people who scream the loudest and make decisions, anyway - is not going to fly with half the stuff that's shown in anime/manga. I read it, I notice a minor edit, I shrug and keep reading. For something like Air Gear, that doesn't sit will with me, but then Del-Ray turned around and not only apologized, but took full responsability and is going to reprint it.

4kids can go to hell. That's not editing, that's a massacre.

Anyway, my two cents. I can live with minor edits. It's one of the things that comes with being a fan of something that's imported from another culture.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote
Incidentally, Sega of America actually included an "All Your Base are Belong to Us" joke in the English translation of the new Phantasy Star Universe game on the PlayStation 2.

Yeah, I groaned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

Also, I really don't have a problem with a minor touchup in manga or anime here and there. Honestly, the digital bikinis in Tenchi Muyo's first airing? Totally agree with them. They changed how scenes like that were handled. The old way was to chop that out. Sit for a minute and try to imagine Tenchi Muyo with every nude scene just removed.

Also, before someone mentions the tea/sake thing. Here is direct proof that they KNEW we weren't stupid, we knew was going on, and only did JUST enough to get it past standards.
If it was only a "minor touch up" edit there wouldn't have been the outrage of actually chopping virually 50% of the series out. The problem with all that bollocks that CN tried to appease the hugh and cry over, was that Tenchi Muyo OVA was never intended, nor was originally produced to be a TV series at all, let alone one for "TV-Y7 FV ". So it made all their "explanation " a complete load of slurry to try and cover up the fact they made a bad error in judgment and didn't have the guts to admit it. Also how many people in your household take bathes in their bathing suits? But you can except that? And you thought $Kids version of "One Piece" was a massacre? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
I like to spend time in corners and just do some people watching sometimes too.

The last anime 'con I attended (Ohayocon) I had to go alone and didn't really know anyone there, so I did this a lot and found it to be almost worth the price of admission alone, just seeing the creative costumes everyone came up with.

But I'm also still a relative newbie to anime 'cons (that was only my third), so the novelty of it hasn't worn off.

Quote:
Also, a lot of cons have some gaming activities going on concurrently and so I intend to check them out eventually.

And some gaming 'cons are going the other way. Gen Con Indy is, to my knowledge, the world's biggest gaming convention, and this year they had a separate "'con within a 'con" anime convention run in conjunction with it. (You could get a separate admission just to the anime part and dealer's room or a general 'con admission which included the anime part.) Had some neat events too, like a voice acting contest with a supporting role in an actual upcoming English dub (GoGaiGar, IIRC) as the prize. I'm pretty sure Gen Con officials plan to continue this format next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
"scanillations" Laughing

Regardless of the technical merits of the rant, it was an honest and straightforward piece of commentary on something that obviously concerns the author. And it's stirring up some interesting (and not done-to-death) discussion, which - as I recall - was one of the main reasons the whole rant column was begun.

Regarding the Anime Boston writer, I had to laugh because I've been coming down with the same symptoms myself about that con. The only advice I can offer is basically the same as Zac's: try to do something new every year. Never cosplayed before? Get yourself a costume. Never made a plushie? Get out the craft scissors. Never experienced the freakshow that is adults-only late night programming? Grab some coffee and your ID card and get in line.

Or, go to a new con. AWA's not that far from Boston.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9