• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
You need to understand a few things about the U.S.:

2) We love are lawsuits and we sue for ANYTHING. Seriously, people can break into a house, get trapped in there, and then sue the homeowner. And they can win.

If you actually research most of the outrageously frivolous lawsuits we so often hear about you’ll find that the vast majority of the worst sounding lawsuits are either grossly misrepresented or are simply flat-out lies. Seriously. The tort reform fan boys that keep propagating this nonsense know that these stories are lies, but their agenda is better served by lies than the truth.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Oooo! Pot calling kettle!

Did someone replace you with a 14 year old kid with a slightly better vocabulary? I don't even see how this applies. Yes I'm a terrible, awful person but I'm not being some elitist prick over what people 'should' and 'shouldn't' see.
My my someone is in a "grumpy" mood then. Again it seems you have miscomprehended what I have been saying. I never said, nor meant to say, that people shouldn't see it. Just that it needed have been broadcasted at all if it meant that such drastic edits had to occur in order to show it at the time slot CN did. It was never meant for that purpose in the first place. Why would I want no one to see it uncut, except that they are too young? Indeed people can see the edited version if that is what they perfer. The same can be said for Cardcaptors, and One Piece too.

Quote:
Quote:
So you have seen both versions of the OVA too then?

Quote:
No, I have not. However, I've read the edit lists and have leard from others who've seen it that all in all, it's not a big deal. The core story remained in tact, a bit of dialouge was changed, but it wasn't a One Piece or Card Captors type of edit and to even assume that is simply ridiculous and almost joke-like.
That edit list was ony the tip of the iceberg. One would have to experience it to get the full affect. Also I can not help the fact that to some it was "no big deal", to others, including myself at the time, it was.

Quote:
Quote:
Also One Piece was chopped by $kids, not CN.

I'm fully aware of who edited and released One Piece, thanks, and did you know that if you replace the S at the end of $kids with $ then you get $kid$! So that means you get twice the arrogant jerk level than before! Better link it to Micro$oft and $ony and Di$ney so you can get another three levels!
Damn I've done it again. Sorry but on UK keyboards the $ is up-shift on the 4 key, and I have a habit of pushing the shift key when I shouldn't. My appologies to any 4kids fans who were offended.

Quote:
Quote:
Well I probably was the oldest of the fans complaining, but certainly not the only fan. No, I would guess the hugh and cry was quite loud for them to justify such a PR response to quell the anger, and just who would have been injured if the OVA wasn't aired on TV then?

Wait, you were injured by this? I mean, by any definition, this is ridiculous. From what I've seen, all you're complaining about is that T&A was removed from the show. If that's so important then what the hell is Tenchi worth?
Would you like to read that again Mr. theeunich?

Quote:
Quote:
Anyone who had seen the TV Universe, then had any deeper interest, would have soon found out, by the intarweb, that there were other Tenchi series to be seen, so I don't think anyone would have been that denied, the rest wouldn't even care.

This is five/six years ago. The internet, aswell as the Internet anime scene, was nowhere near as big as it is today. You couldn't honestly put something out with the hopes that Internet folks would hopefully get lead to it, and even today it's still a bad idea.
No, I believe it was only 4 years ago. You live in Austrialia, do you not? I can not say what the level of accessability the personal computer was "down under" back then, but I believe it was quite at a higher level in the US where this incident occured.

Quote:

It's in general better for them to get companies to edit their shows because that means, should CN get in trouble, more blame can be placed on the companies responsible for content and editing. It also means less work for them, and allows quicker results for work (licensor directly to licensee for approval, rather than CN to licensor to Licensee, which is potentially mind-numbing).
It also means that when things like One Piece hit the air, it was 4Kids what got the flack, not them. Wink

Quote:
If AIC had objections to it's broadcast, either uncut or edited, they would have put a stop to it and said "my way or the highway". Since it went ahead, safe to say that it's fine.
I believe it was the then Pioneer Ent. US who allowed the editing, and I would guess, as it wasn't in their back yard, so to speak, AIC were quite happy to see just how it would pan.

Quote:
Additionally, I would assume you're aware of the cultural divide in regards to Cartoons in Japan and the US. You'd also be aware that CN Japan doesn't hold the same standards as CN in the UK, US, Australia or certian other places. So it can get away with uncut Tenchi because back then (and today or whatever) it's completely acceptable. The US and Japan are different companies and I doubt CN would've wanted to take such a high risk airing uncut Tenchi back then, because there's absolutely no gaurantee it'd pay off (infact there is no gaurantee, as dumb as this sounds, people simply wouldn't be 'ready' for it yet).
I'm also aware that CN Japan aired it after midnight too, not at 1800. Wink

Quote:
All in all you're complaining about ancient edits that've already been justified, which helped develop and construct different standards for broadcast of Anime today. Baby steps can often screw up- that's what they are for. Get over it, and live in the present. We've got enough things to worry about without worrywarts bothering everyone about an issue that you'd need a time machine to fix.
I agree, and my only purpose was to highlight that the editing of the Tenchi Muyo OVAs by CN was, at that time, the benchmark of the later Cardcaptors, and One Piece that many of late are railing about today. Sure what happened to the latter two was as bad to even worse, but back then it was "the Toonami version" that had ruffled feathers before them. I'll finish by saying the old cliché; "If one forgets what one's lessons teach, one must learn them all over again." (And before you start, Mr. theeunich, no it wasn't meant for you personally, but feel free to take it on board if you wish.) Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:50 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
My my someone is in a "grumpy" mood then.

Hardly Smile

Quote:
Again it seems you have miscomprehended what I have been saying. I never said, nor meant to say, that people shouldn't see it. Just that it needed have been broadcasted at all if it meant that such drastic edits had to occur in order to show it at the time slot CN did. It was never meant for that purpose in the first place. Why would I want no one to see it uncut, except that they are too young? Indeed people can see the edited version if that is what they perfer. The same can be said for Cardcaptors, and One Piece too.

You're saying one thing, implying another, and meaning something else. I'm not miscomprehending you, it's just you say "if they can't do it right, they shouldn't do it at all!", the problem here is that "right" is not always based on what people on this here Internet think is right. It was never 'meant' for broadcast, sure, but that was years ago, and the licensors have deemed it to be adequate for broadcast, so it's basically 'meant' for broadcast now (or then. context).

Quote:
That edit list was ony the tip of the iceberg. One would have to experience it to get the full affect. Also I can not help the fact that to some it was "no big deal", to others, including myself at the time, it was.

If it was only the tip of the iceberg, please fill me in on the rest. Also I have to ask, since you're living in the UK, were you living in the US at the time of the edited broadcast? Was CN in the UK (CNX or what not) showing the exact same version as the US? I remember they apparently showed uncut Outlaw Star, so I'm curious.

Quote:
Damn I've done it again. Sorry but on UK keyboards the $ is up-shift on the 4 key, and I have a habit of pushing the shift key when I shouldn't. My appologies to any 4kids fans who were offended.

Overreaction from my part. My bad.

Quote:
Would you like to read that again Mr. theeunich?

I dunno Mr.Mehawk52, would you like to stop being a crotchety whingy weeaboo?

Quote:
No, I believe it was only 4 years ago. You live in Austrialia, do you not? I can not say what the level of accessability the personal computer was "down under" back then, but I believe it was quite at a higher level in the US where this incident occured.

Compared to what it is today, you couldn't simply rely on the Internet to give you leads like that. Besides, it's an entirely moot point- Direct product exposure is much more beneficial than second-hand-possible product exposure. Sure, people might have liked Tenchi TV or whatever else but there's no gaurantee they'd bother with the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs.

Quote:
It also means that when things like One Piece hit the air, it was 4Kids what got the flack, not them. Wink

Well, from the people activley giving them flak, but yeah, not the point.

Quote:
I believe it was the then Pioneer Ent. US who allowed the editing, and I would guess, as it wasn't in their back yard, so to speak, AIC were quite happy to see just how it would pan.

It doesn't matter who handles distribution in the US, since all they're basically doing is handling it on behest of the Japanese licensors, but everything has to be approved by the Japanese licensor (AIC or whoever else in this case) as it is ultimatly their product, and they demand complete control over how their product is marketted and shown to foreign markets (even if they don't understand them, which is why they outsource/contract/whatever English-speaking/whatever companies to do their work for them).

Quote:
I'm also aware that CN Japan aired it after midnight too, not at 1800. Wink

Still, there is that cultural divide- it can sail there, but not nessecerally in the US.

Quote:
I agree, and my only purpose was to highlight that the editing of the Tenchi Muyo OVAs by CN was, at that time, the benchmark of the later Cardcaptors, and One Piece that many of late are railing about today. Sure what happened to the latter two was as bad to even worse, but back then it was "the Toonami version" that had ruffled feathers before them. I'll finish by saying the old cliché; "If one forgets what one's lessons teach, one must learn them all over again." (And before you start, Mr. theeunich, no it wasn't meant for you personally, but feel free to take it on board if you wish.) Wink

Keeping history in mind isn't something that I'm against Mr.Miuhaewk (since we're in the business of messing up vowels in names), but railing against it and throwing a hissy fit years after it's happened to no real benefit or gain for anyone is a pointless waste of space and time.
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sure what happened to the latter two was as bad to even worse, but back then it was "the Toonami version" that had ruffled feathers before them. :
Huh? What about Sailor Moon, DBZ, Robotech, Voltron, and Battle Of The Planets? Those were all heavily edited dubs that were aired on American TV long before an edited version of Tenchi Muyo had even been considered and even had very large fanbases with American audiences. Tenchi Muyo was hardly the dub that "ruffled feathers" before Cardcaptors and One Piece. Maybe you should actually try watching some edited dubs besides those dubs that were aired on Toonami after 2000 before you try to act like you know what you're talking about.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
"How can a fan more fully (and politely) interact with anime distributors, producers, and actors rather than attending cookie-cutter panels where the same questions are asked over and over again? Are there overlooked aspects of cons that fans who have only recently passed the newbie faze don't take advantage of?"

Yes, that's means you as a social ineptitude.

Man, your social skills are awful, a new convention is a new challenge, your mentality goes as far as sitting down silent in a corner giving everybody the impression that they are bothering you, Im not saying that in the conventions you will find true friendship or true love (which is the wrong place to do that anyway) but the effort of socializing is up to you.

A new convention? how about a new college? how about the local DMV? you don't go and ask people "can we be friends?" you just hang out with a group and show your true self, the volunteer department of Anime expo that I went on 2001 were completely strangers, guess what, at the end of the con everyone were my friend and you have to go with the flow, go there to have fun, be friendly with everyone, do not be afraid of asking "hey there's an anime party around?" Make your mind set of interacting with as many people as you can, make lines and talk with your fellow line goers, heck, if you find Answerman in person ask him when the next Berserk season will be and look at his face (Do you remember the door volunteer on the Bandai panel in Ax 2 years ago, right Zac? ofcourse not)

Anyway, you are too old for me to tell you how to make friends in any kind of situation, but that is the skill that many Japanese fans lack of, they come to the US and they stay on a small group in a bubble for the whole convention, is sad but true, but Im not an Otaku, Im too friendly and open and mainly I used anime to interact and gain more friends, I get bored watching anime alone, is priceless when watching a series with some friends and commenting it at the same time.

Solution, easy: is up to you... if you wanna ostracize and close yourself, I will not talk to you in order of not bother you, but if you are willing to use Anime as an excuse of meeting new people and new ideas, I will be glad to talk to you all I know about anime from 1981-2006 anime and their changes, and I would be glad to hang out as long as you have the attitude to do so.

Some people may call you crazy, but is ok, you are not in the most sane place of all the world.

and for all of you Japanese people

OPEN UP AND BE SOCIABLE DANG IT!! STOP BEING SO DAMN CUT AND DRY POLITE!!!

(if you feel you are exclude of this group, disregard)
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs* I don't think you should 'yell' at Japanese people for being too polite and (to american minds) unsociable. Razz It's part of their culture. It'd be like someone from France coming here and saying "You americans are too loud!" Maybe we are, but we're not going to have some french guy tell us to stop, it's our culture! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
yeah, thats the problem man, the lack of social interaction, or the unwillingness to make friends, as demostrated on your post...
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
for all of you Japanese people

What's your problem, man? How many foreign countries have you visited anyway? Ever been to Japan or read about their culture? Maybe you need to go see it for yourself. Actually, scratch that, we probably don't need any more ambadassadors like you.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
yeah, thats the problem man, the lack of social interaction, or the unwillingness to make friends, as demostrated on your post...

...What, me? First of all...if you think I wrote the letter to Answerman...I didn't. I just recently went to my first con.

Secondly...I'm....not a man. ...The drawing for my avatar is actually...me. (It doesn't look THAT much like a guy, does it?)

Thirdly, what from my post implies that I have a 'lack of social interaction'? Sure, I'm a little shy, but last night I actually spent time away from my computer (wow, imagine that) to hang out with a group of friends at a friend's house, where we mostly...talked and played board games! My post didn't refer to social interaction at all, anyway--I was just pointing out your appearant ignorance of other cultures. I suppose that makes me 'anti-social'?

And if you're NOT talking to me...who the heck ARE you talking to? I was the only one who posted after you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
what?? was this person that sent the question to answerman about cons asking how to make friends??? reichan i think you got the picture all wrong. he/she is asking how to enhance their con experience. my advice: aside from the unique panels each con has to offer, id reccomend checking out the screening rooms. theres tons of exploring to do at every con. why the hell are you calling them socially enept??? sorry but thats pretty rude. if YOU want anime to be the basis of all your friendships then go for it. if you would read the question again maybe you would realize thats not the answer they were asking for.

ichido reichan wrote:

and for all of you Japanese people

what the hell? read that to yourself and then wonder why they act that way... Rolling Eyes
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
"so now I won't even have a group of friends to pal around with while I'm there. "
---------------------------------
ohh the poor baby...doesnt have more friends to hang around with... why I need to know this? if you are attending anime cons you should know better what's there, the experience is the one you make it, ever try to make a group for next year? ever try to hang around the volunteer room anyway, they are cool people to hang around with, you are way to lazy my friend, trying to find the manual of "better con enjoyment" next time I will bring a spoon and bib and spoon the convention to you so you dont miss anything...Im lazy but you take the cake

"Secondly...I'm....not a man. ...The drawing for my avatar is actually...me. (It doesn't look THAT much like a guy, does it?)"

Ehh...yeah it does, maybe some more femenine features next time? or drawing improvement? oh no, scratch that, well, is hard to tell, I bited my tongue trying to pronunciating your nick anyway, so nor your drawing or your name gave me a clear clue who I was talking too, Im not saying you re ugly or not feminine, is just, your drawing and name are misleading
---------------------------------------------------

"What's your problem, man? How many foreign countries have you visited anyway? Ever been to Japan or read about their culture? Maybe you need to go see it for yourself. Actually, scratch that, we probably don't need any more ambadassadors like you."

This is my problem: Yes, I visited Japan once, the least friendly people there are actually anime fans, they see me as "who is this guy doing here, is'nt DBZ being shown outside? why he want to be here?" asides smiles and small chat, they dont want to do nothing with you, ever try to make "real" japanese friends, not acquaintances but people with real substance? no you dont because is in their culture, they are anti-social from the start, the culture is opressed and dont tell me it isn't because my best japanese friend (just one) is a girl that feels liberated with all that bullcrap that he culture makes her feel, with me she doesnt have to act, or react, or keep a pose to fit in, she can be herself without fear of rejection, we discussed the flaws of Japan culture so many times that I can tell you for sure because I experience it, they smile at you, they are polite but you can see deep inside that they dont wanna socialize with you 'cause you are not japanese, this is the truth, go ahead and experience it first hand.

I am Chilean, and I been in 6 different countries (Chile, argentina, Brazil, Italy , Usa, Paraguay, Japan) , I learn english on the street just socializing and I made tons of friends on random places and my only Japanese friend Yuko, I met her in a convenience store with no anime topic in the middle.
--------------------------------------------------------

"what the hell? read that to yourself and then wonder why they act that way..."

-Because the otaku culture of being "unable to socialize" is cool?

-Because rumors that americans bite?

-Because we are trying to steal their precious anime culture and make it our own?

-Because we are trying to act like them?

-Because they are AFRAID of socialize because of their culture?

-Because they need to keep an image in front of their other japanese peers in order to be accepted.

-Because she is afraid that you want to marry her in order to be taken out to live in japan?

-Because he is afraid that you gonna embarrass him with your "fandom passion"?

I dont know man, that question has so many variables in that difficult culture that nor you or me gonna have a definite answer, but one thing is clear, why do you think japan has the higher suicidal rate? among teens? ohhh you didn't know that heh...maybe Japan is not the paradise you expected? no is not.

If you are not looking for games/manga/toys, that is.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is my problem: Yes, I visited Japan once, the least friendly people there are actually anime fans, they see me as "who is this guy doing here, is'nt DBZ being shown outside? why he want to be here?" asides smiles and small chat, they don't want to do nothing with you, ever try to make "real" japanese friends, not acquaintances but people with real substance? no you don't because is in their culture, they are anti-social from the start, the culture is opressed and don't tell me it isn't because my best japanese friend (just one) is a girl that feels liberated with all that bullcrap that he culture makes her feel, with me she doesnt have to act, or react, or keep a pose to fit in, she can be herself without fear of rejection, we discussed the flaws of Japan culture so many times that I can tell you for sure because I experience it, they smile at you, they are polite but you can see deep inside that they don't wanna socialize with you 'cause you are not japanese, this is the truth, go ahead and experience it first hand.

From what I have seen of the Japanese, sir, contradicts your statement. I lived in Japan for nine years, went to Japanese school and was well integrated in the Japanese society and culture. While the people you were discussing may keep to themselves, I have known these same kind of people, who happen to be in one of my circles. They are very open to meeting and socializing, and I found myself respected among them. I met with some unpleasant people, but a majority, and I mean a majority of the people I met were very welcoming and helped me out when I needed it. You obviously don't understand the Japanese after one visit.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

"Secondly...I'm....not a man. ...The drawing for my avatar is actually...me. (It doesn't look THAT much like a guy, does it?)"

Ehh...yeah it does, maybe some more femenine features next time? or drawing improvement? oh no, scratch that, well, is hard to tell, I bited my tongue trying to pronunciating your nick anyway, so nor your drawing or your name gave me a clear clue who I was talking too, Im not saying you re ugly or not feminine, is just, your drawing and name are misleading

Actually, I didn't draw it. Anime hyper Umehara Takahiro drew sketches with his autographs at NDK, I just decided to use his of me as my avatar. My hair's cut short, so that doesn't help, I think!

And I know the name is slightly cumbersome. ^^; Just 'Morwen" is often already taken. (It didn't used to be, but EA used it in a Lord of the Rings RPG and it's kind of gotten popular since then.) If you've read or watched Lord of the Rings, though, here's a hint--both names are elvish.
(Morwen, as in Arwen and Eowyn--'wen' means maiden. And Laicoriel, as in Galadriel. 'iel' means lady)

As for pronounciation, it's something like More-win Lie-Core-Ee-Elle. Just "Morwen" is fine, though--think of "laicoriel" as a surname of sorts. ^^
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
"so now I won't even have a group of friends to pal around with while I'm there. "
ohh the poor baby...doesnt have more friends to hang around with... why I need to know this? if you are attending anime cons you should know better what's there, the experience is the one you make it, ever try to make a group for next year? ever try to hang around the volunteer room anyway, they are cool people to hang around with, you are way to lazy my friend, trying to find the manual of "better con enjoyment" next time I will bring a spoon and bib and spoon the convention to you so you don't miss anything...Im lazy but you take the cake

"What's your problem, man? How many foreign countries have you visited anyway? Ever been to Japan or read about their culture? Maybe you need to go see it for yourself. Actually, scratch that, we probably don't need any more ambadassadors like you."

This is my problem: Yes, I visited Japan once, the least friendly people there are actually anime fans, they see me as "who is this guy doing here, is'nt DBZ being shown outside? why he want to be here?" asides smiles and small chat, they don't want to do nothing with you, ever try to make "real" japanese friends, not acquaintances but people with real substance? no you don't because is in their culture, they are anti-social from the start, the culture is opressed and don't tell me it isn't because my best japanese friend (just one) is a girl that feels liberated with all that bullcrap that he culture makes her feel, with me she doesnt have to act, or react, or keep a pose to fit in, she can be herself without fear of rejection, we discussed the flaws of Japan culture so many times that I can tell you for sure because I experience it, they smile at you, they are polite but you can see deep inside that they don't wanna socialize with you 'cause you are not japanese, this is the truth, go ahead and experience it first hand.

I am Chilean, and I been in 6 different countries (Chile, argentina, Brazil, Italy , Usa, Paraguay, Japan) , I learn english on the street just socializing and I made tons of friends on random places and my only Japanese friend Yuko, I met her in a convenience store with no anime topic in the middle.
--------------------------------------------------------

"what the hell? read that to yourself and then wonder why they act that way..."

-Because the otaku culture of being "unable to socialize" is cool?

-Because rumors that americans bite?

-Because we are trying to steal their precious anime culture and make it our own?

-Because we are trying to act like them?

-Because they are AFRAID of socialize because of their culture?

-Because they need to keep an image in front of their other japanese peers in order to be accepted.

-Because she is afraid that you want to marry her in order to be taken out to live in japan?

-Because he is afraid that you gonna embarrass him with your "fandom passion"?

I don't know man, that question has so many variables in that difficult culture that nor you or me gonna have a definite answer, but one thing is clear, why do you think japan has the higher suicidal rate? among teens? ohhh you didn't know that heh...maybe Japan is not the paradise you expected? no is not.

If you are not looking for games/manga/toys, that is.

Whoa...i've never had that problem with any of the Japanese people i've met. I've met some people from Japan and they were very polite. That's part of their culture- hell it's in the language.
Pick up a text book or something geez.

Seems like you just had a bad experience. Or maybe you came off as rude.

As for the suicide rate...what does that even have to do with this? it seems to me like you're just throwing random facts out there that are general knowledge.

i wonder why? maybe to make yourself seem : oh holy-er than thou? Who knows. I'm not even sure you know. Because you really don't know anything about Japan except anime. And if you watch a few more shows maybe you'll learn some more.

Hopefully.

But really, you can't go judging a race based on one bad experience. Its like saying all black people shoot each other up. You'll have bad experiences everywhere you go. Not everyone is nice or friendly. maybe that person was having a bad day or something.

i'm done
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sure what happened to the latter two was as bad to even worse, but back then it was "the Toonami version" that had ruffled feathers before them. :
Huh? What about Sailor Moon, DBZ, Robotech, Voltron, and Battle Of The Planets? Those were all heavily edited dubs that were aired on American TV long before an edited version of Tenchi Muyo had even been considered and even had very large fanbases with American audiences. Tenchi Muyo was hardly the dub that "ruffled feathers" before Cardcaptors and One Piece. Maybe you should actually try watching some edited dubs besides those dubs that were aired on Toonami after 2000 before you try to act like you know what you're talking about.

Back then, any form of animation was concidered for children. It wasn't until South Park and Family Guy that made animation in North America something for teenagers and young adults. Now that anime has grown in the past six years, most of the fans being teenagers/young adults, they decided to air shows edited less for teenagers because society is viewing animation as something that can be for children, but also can be for a more mature audience.

EDIT: was grown doesn't make anysense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9