• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - What's Up, Tiger Mask?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
Here's a few things that you might want to consider. One of them is a pretty ironic thing,if you come to think about it. Rikidozan as he is best known,was originally born in Korea. He came to Japan in the 1940's. He would also be one of the rare people who became a naturalized Japanese citizen. A lot of what Mr. Toole said about this guy is pretty accurate. Unfortunately for Rikidozan,he died in 1963 when he was stabbed in a nightclub by a member of the Yakuza.
On another subject,why do all those who hate 4Kids come out whenever a topic like this shows up or a show they dub into English comes out? While I agree that some of the decisions they made are questionable,what I don't like is the overall attacks on that organization. They had great voice actors and they deserve some respect. Even though the material they were given wasn't always the best,they also did a good acting job. You've got to give them that.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Rikidozan's nationality is that he was born in a time when Korea was part of Japan (1910–1945), and immigrated to the mainland during this time. So he apparently just considered himself Japanese because of the times he lived in or perhaps his people told him to hide his ethnicity to help his career.

There is a movie about him, too. I thought it was pretty good.
Apashi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
With my rice I like to have some cow, cow, cow
It tastes so very good I don't know how, how, how
It's my favorite form of chow, chow, chow-ow
Eat now!

Yes I do remember. The whole frikkin thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2