• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Adds My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy GREAT!! Now I really have a reason to invest in this!

Popularity aside I personally don't see this manga as anything revolutionary by a long shot and as annoying as it is to see some people compare to to naruto I could kinda see the similarities, especially in the first 10 chapters, but so far it's having fun with itself and honestly it's kinda infectious. They can compare all they want but personally I never had this much fun with naruto so I could really care less. It's got a silly streak which may not be for everyone but it's one of the reasons I like it so much.

Also I just noticed how the picture makes it look like Izuku has a stand. Laughing
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Are there any recent SJ series that Viz hasn't brought state side? Like I'm still waiting for an official Sket Dance release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This looks interesting. I just wish Viz had licensed it sooner so we wouldn't have to start 20+ chapters in. I wonder if they'll be doing something like publishing 3+ old chapters along with the new one each week in WSJ, like they have been doing in that past.
Davy0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
It's refreshing because the main character is much smarter than your average shonen protagonist. And also, the Japanese take on Comic Superheroes is always interesting.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
What news! Between this and the latest SHOKUGEKI NO SOMA stunner of a chapter (hot garbage like BLEACH and pure offal like NISEKOI should be ashamed to share the same magazine with it) this WSJ was amazing. If ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM joins the ranks too, America will be effectively getting all the current WSJ heavy-hitters in Japan day-and-date. What an interesting time for the industry.

One year ago I didn't believe ASS CLASS would be released in the USA in any capacity, period. Today, anything's possible.

I like what I've read of MY HERO ACADEMIA, it has a grungy quality to it. The art reminded me of Jhonen Vasquez's JTHM, a plus when most Shonen looks so samey.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when Viz would get around to acquiring this.

I'm still 60+ issues behind on my WSJ subscription so I won't be reading this for a while, but I'm looking forward to it. Its GN sales caught my eye a little while back.

Mr.Shonen wrote:
Are there any recent SJ series that Viz hasn't brought state side? Like I'm still waiting for an official Sket Dance release.

It depends on how you define "recent", but the glaring example in this case would be Haikyu! I guess Kuroko's Basketball, too.

I'd say that if Viz were to put out Sket Dance, they would've done it by now. It won't ever happen because it's too long and it's a comedy-centric series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The story is set in the modern day, except people with special powers have become commonplace throughout the world. A boy named Izuku Midoriya has no powers, but he still dreams.

i don't believe this statement. I know ANN probably just copy this from Viz or whatever. This is shonen Jump fighting manga, most of the time the MC has to have special power. His parent(s)/Ancestors have to be special too.

Mr.Shonen wrote:

There are many recent series haven't brought to Viz's shonen Jump. I can't just say state side because that's a wrong statement. Viz manga and shonen Jump available outside of US too.

They only bring over the one that they think the western viewers like, which is stupid. Consider those will get cancel quick in Japan. The they will try to replace the cancelled one with a recent popular one in Japan. Recent means around 2 year to me. Nothing more than that.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:
The story is set in the modern day, except people with special powers have become commonplace throughout the world. A boy named Izuku Midoriya has no powers, but he still dreams.

i don't believe this statement. I know ANN probably just copy this from Viz or whatever. This is shonen Jump fighting manga, most of the time the MC has to have special power. His parent(s)/Ancestors have to be special too.

Nope. The protagonist had to work his way to his power. When he does spoiler[obtain borrowed powers], it would injure him every time he used it, so it keeps him from being a Gary Stu.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
The protagonist of World Trigger, Osamu Mikumo, is also severely outclassed by almost every other fighter in the series and battles strictly with standard issue equipment--he's just more dedicated and smarter than most of them. Too bad the anime botched this series up so bad that it looks like everyone is incompetent.

It feels like any time you have an anime or manga series where people everywhere have powers, the protagonist won't have them. At least, that's how it feels.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
I'm surprised it took them this long to release it! it has quite a few chapters out, considering the series that they have been licensing within the first few chapters tend to end pretty quickly.

My guess is that they were proceeding more cautiously with Kouhei Horikoshi as Barrage flopped.

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Even though I never read it, I am familiar with the manga due to the hype it generated.

The impression I got from the article was that it is going to be serialized in the english version of Shonen Jump, not that it is getting released as volumes. Or does that happen automatically with all the series in the magazine?

According to the most recent issue of Viz's Shonen Jump, there will be digital and print copies of the first few volumes coming out as a catch-up. Chapter 1 will be published, then it will jump ahead to the most recent chapter the following week.

Every manga in Viz's Shonen Jump gets volumes after the last chapter that'd be in that volume appears in the magazine, though the volume releases are significantly delayed.

Mr.Shonen wrote:

Viz has not made any attempt to bring over Hinomaru Zumo (it's a sports series, so it makes sense), Isobe Isobee Monogatari (comedy series that requires a good knowledge of Japanese folklore and history to understand), Psi Kusuo Saiki (not too sure why on this one), or any of the 2013 series except Stealth Symphony and Assassination Classroom, and the latter only got started in December 2014.

As for other series still in the Japanese magazine that Viz is currently not doing, there's Kochikame (would fly over as well as a Japanese sitcom would) and Gin Tama (which Viz DID pick up but dropped out of low sales).
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Saiki's a gag series. The localization effort:customer response ratio here would be in the 'haaaaaah....totally not worth it' area.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Gag series do sometimes sell decently here, like Azumanga Daioh and Sgt. Frog, but yeah, they have an uphill battle compared to the action series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2