• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Zestiria PS3 RPG Offers Alisha Epilogue as DLC

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
Not to mention what Vesperia did when Flynn was advertised as a main character... you had to rebuy the whole game on another system to get playtime with him though.
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
SniperRuleZ wrote:

Looks like a troll review. Those seem to happen a lot on Amazon JP.

....Did you read at all? If you do, they certainly aren't troll reviews. Also, troll review don't normally garner even 10% of "this review is helpful", while in this case, most 1 star reviews gather hundreds to 1.2k of votes, more than 90% of all voters.
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
mmm...
As a Tales of fan, I'm just waiting to my copy to arriv... Oh God, It's here! xd

Well, I'm too kind of sad for this Alisha issue... But then I remember... I paid for a game... not just for a character. I understand the rage, I'm also dissapointed.
But, as someone told us: "...I'm glad Bamco is getting some blowback for this. I think it will be good for them in the long run..." let's hope this is for the good of the series.

Or we can just wait for a better version for the PS4 (?)

[/quote]
ani12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
SniperRuleZ wrote:
ani12 wrote:
SniperRuleZ wrote:

Looks like a troll review. Those seem to happen a lot on Amazon JP.

....Did you read at all? If you do, they certainly aren't troll reviews. Also, troll review don't normally garner even 10% of "this review is helpful", while in this case, most 1 star reviews gather hundreds to 1.2k of votes, more than 90% of all voters.

I'm very sure, since even with this issue, I doubt that it's really that bad. Just someone flipping out over it and just being vindictive. Probably a lot of people from 2ch are the ones who kept saying it was "helpful". That's happened before.

{ani12, you are over-quoting. Please refrain from doing so in the future. Thank you. ~nbahn}
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:

I'm very sure, since even with this issue, I doubt that it's really that bad. Just someone flipping out over it and just being vindictive. Probably a lot of people from 2ch are the ones who kept saying it was "helpful". That's happened before.

Avoiding the question? Seems like you don't read at all. Then everything you said is invalid. More like you are just deeming them as trolls rather than they being troll. Most of them rated 1 star out of disappointment and frustration, this is certainly not considered "troll review". For you who didn't read their reviews and yet post such time-wasting and self-righteous comments, YOU are the troll instead. Either this, or you don't know the meaning of "troll". "Troll" reviews are people like Sony fan boys giving 1 star to XBone (just an example), and random people rating 1 star to a Frozen soundtrack album just because they are sicked of seeing it everywhere. In these reviews, you see that they have nothing to justify about it. Well, that is if you even read them.

Dismissed.

{Do not delete moderator warnings! Do not get into arguments with ani12! Do not over-quote! ~nbahn}

Last edited by SniperRuleZ on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Gambeno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I would ignore those Amazon ratings since they are totally biase and hold no merit. Basically everyone on 2chan rushed over and downgraded the game. The game isnt bad at all and if you consider 400,000 copies were sold, I would say 500 review is a drop in the bucket.
Raiden19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote
Just beat the game. I was looking around for reviews and found that many foreign sites were actually supporting this game. I don't know if these supporters actually played the game or not, but man I just had to sign up to post my opinion here.

I would agree regarding 2ch trolling for most Amazon reviews.

However, this... this game is not only the worst game in the tales series (yes, worse than Tempest), but it has high potential in competing for the worst game in the history of JRPGs.

Bamco has been experimenting with post-consumption revelations of horrible fraud (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure). They decided to use TOZ as their second run, and they succeeded. It doesn't matter how many people complain about how horrible this game is; they've already sold enough copies to gain significant profit. The crazy thing about TOZ is though, the game is actually pretty good in the beginning, and many of the early amazon reviews show high hopes after about 4 hours of playing. Bamco may just as well keep churning out fraudulent games because they have proven they can make steady profit out of it.

I can write a thesis about how bad this game is, but I'm just gonna go around turning down some of the hopes on this thread so that you guys don't waste your money, or help Bamco earn more than they've already earned.

First, the Alisha DLC. spoiler[Alisha, probably the only genuinely moral character in the game, is treated like garbage in the main game, as if the staff members had some immense grudge against her. She leaves the main party early on caring for Sorey's health, but not only does not one stop her; throughout the rest of the game, the main party keeps degrading and segregating her without helping her in her times of need, and everyone keeps it a secret that Alisha's mentor is actually the bad guy until the very end. In other words, this game is about Sorey's gang bullying Alisha for the whole story. Instead, the main party appraises Rose, who has this incomprehensible setting where she can kill anyone without turning into a Possessed "because she's used to assassination", in a world where just having a bitter quarrel turns you into a dreadful monster. Rose isn't an annoying character or anything alone (if you ignore how she justifies her own assassination but explicitly says that the other enemy characters' acts of murder are unjust), but the way the party appraises her in comparison to Alisha's treatment makes it seem like the staff is promoting murder, prioritizing talent/skill (of murder) over justice/friendship. What we can expect from a simple change in point of view to Alisha's side, is Rose being appraised by Alisha this time, which is the worst way imaginable for rubbing the horrible scenario into us players. Forgot to add: you can buy costume DLCs for Alisha, and the master arts come with the pre-order bonuses, but Alisha won't use them; Rose will. ] No one would buy the DLC, and many won't bother downloading it for free either, because the main scenario was garbage. What I wrote in that spoiler isn't even half of it.

Second, open world and seamless battle. It's just a cheap-graphic landscape surrounded by cliffs. The dungeons are mainly recycled graphics of each other. We all know that in most Tales games, the world map is just barren landscape with no events and a few treasure boxes, but consider the map size to be doubled (in comparison to Xillia) with the same walking speed and whatnot. They also decided to add locked treasure boxes so you can walk the same landscape again. If they hadn't put in a pay-per-use teleporter between save points, I would have quit early on. The horrid camera work in addition to the kamui system restricts all freedom in battle. spoiler[In order to see what you're doing clearly, you need to move your units away from the enemy to certain spots, making it much easier to just keep Maelstrom-ing for the greater half of the game. There are only 2 humans in the game so they must stay in the party to use kamui, and if they do kamui, then you only get two controllable characters in the battle.] The seamless aspect has lowered the FPS to below 30, and the bat monsters can't even flap their wings in a satisfactory manner. Objects on map don't show up until you get close enough to them, and this allows monsters you thought you had already beaten that hadn't been in your narrow camera view to suddenly surprise you from behind during battle. Don't expect anything like Graces ef. Well, I suppose the battle and map are still bearable, but they're certainly not superb.

As I mentioned already, Bamco is not getting any blowback for this predicament. They've already earned what they needed, and they've also got the guarantee as it is their second time that they can earn money this way.

There are good parts to this game, like the music. I consider Tales of Zestiria to be a great soundtrack with some good animation... which I don't think deserves nearly 100$, even if the rage-inducing scenario wasn't there.

Happy 20th anniversary. No hopes for a 25th at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2