• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Margaret McDonald, Leraldo Anzaldua Star in Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions' English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

What I meant was the same type of complaints for an English dub getting applied to a subbed version. That is, something along the lines of "They reuse the same VA" or "Those voices don't fit the characters" and that the English version is how the Japanese should've done the voice acting for their language.

I'm sure people would complain about those things if they were actual existing problems. Just as an example; Kana Hanazawa has gotten a small, yet vocal group of people who are quick to jump on her being casted in so many different anime. She is very popular though and those people tend to get overshadowed pretty quickly by people who enjoy her work. If the overwhelming majority doesn't mind JP VAs being re-used many times over it's not an actual problem. Not to mention in Japan they can choose not to over-use VAs since they've got a very large talent pool. And despite that some JP VAs do get casted in a lot of shows and barely anyone complains because the ones who get casted a lot are also the ones people enjoy hearing.

Having the voices not fit the characters rarely happens for the main cast or frequently recurring support roles & that is quite evident in the lack of complaints. HOWEVER, rarely doesn't mean never, just take
Aoi Oribe in Myself;Yourself. Despite having aired many years ago and never having been a very popular title it still gets complaints to this day. And the background-ish characters that only show up once in a show tend to be plain bad in comparison to established JP VAs. Even if they only have a handful of lines you can tell that there's a big gap in their skill.

JP VAs have such fierce competition & only the best of the best actually make it, which can explain why there's so few complaints towards them. Your "average" JP anime dub is just on such a high level that it's hard to find noticable flaws in them.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
@SouthPacific Two points.

1. STOP COMPARING TWO DIFFERENT VOICE ACTING FIELDS THAT SPEAK TWO DIFFERENT LANGUAGES WITH TWO DIFFERENT VIEWS AS TO WHAT CONSTITUTES GOOD OR BAD ACTING.

As my name suggests, I am of Galician background, BUT I am also of Portuguese background. Coincidentally, BOTH languages are highly mutually intelligible with each other, due to the fact they are both in the Galician-Portuguese category of Western-Iberian languages and the fact that long ago, they WERE THE SAME language! Well, one could argue that they're STILL the same language. Both languages are also similar to Spanish, which is another language I was raised on. They can be compared because they are part of the same language family of Italic, Western-Iberian, Romance languages and as such, things such as pronunciation and so on are similar, as are nasal, swear words and so on.

HOWEVER, studies show that English and Japanese are nothing alike, meaning comparisons are moot. They are totally different. Also, due to lack of understanding of Japanese which virtually everyone on this forum has, how can you assume that the Japanese have such a "high skill" level? Because of misconceptions? You can't even understand Japanese. And yes, understanding is required to 100% appreciate something. Subtitles and a claim that "understanding" emotions is not going to cut it. Barriers to language are a bitch and if you are not aware of a language, you cannot appreciate it. You can't claim that you're a better judge than I to judge Spanish, Portuguese, Galician OR English than I because these are my ways of life. I know each of these languages and each are my native tongue.

Similarly, since your native tongue is Swedish, I can't claim to understand Swedish formats of grammar, emotion, since I don't speak or understand Swedish. Additionally, you can understand Danish and Bokmål.

Two, from what I've read about you, you're from Sweden, and yet you have this strange dislike of English dubs. Why? Why do you care? Don't say you don't care, because on pretty much EVERY single dub announcement or whatever, you voice your "opinion", even if it's not needed. Also, as the name implies, English dubs are INTENDED for English speaking countries, PARTICULARLY the USA and Canada. Does it matter how your limited understanding of how WE dub our work matter? Our dubs are not for you! They are solely for us! Before you say, "How about the Japanese version? By my logic, only the Japanese can watch or have an opinion on anime" that's a dumb point. Anime is Japanese and is made in Japanese and thus the Japanese version is UNIVERSAL. English however denotes a specific target audience. Your opinion is invalid, as I'd like to hear solely North American English opinions on North American English dubs. Oh and at least we make dubs! You guys don't even make dubs of anime in Sweden or Åland!

Three, your point on Japanese VAs is total bias. Please, if you're going to hold dub VAs to such stringent standards(implying your opinion matters), please do it on the things you like AS WELL. Because of the controversy of dubbing, dubs are like fat children, so poking them is okay, but if it's something we like, we don't critique it because we like it, am I right? But then again, your English dub opinions don't matter and never will. That and you can't really analyse the acting of Japanese VAs NO matter how hard you try.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
@SouthPacific Two points.

1. STOP COMPARING TWO DIFFERENT VOICE ACTING FIELDS THAT SPEAK TWO DIFFERENT LANGUAGES WITH TWO DIFFERENT VIEWS AS TO WHAT CONSTITUTES GOOD OR BAD ACTING.

As my name suggests, I am of Galician background, BUT I am also of Portuguese background. Coincidentally, BOTH languages are highly mutually intelligible with each other, due to the fact they are both in the Galician-Portuguese category of Western-Iberian languages and the fact that long ago, they WERE THE SAME language! Well, one could argue that they're STILL the same language. Both languages are also similar to Spanish, which is another language I was raised on. They can be compared because they are part of the same language family of Italic, Western-Iberian, Romance languages and as such, things such as pronunciation and so on are similar, as are nasal, swear words and so on.

HOWEVER, studies show that English and Japanese are nothing alike, meaning comparisons are moot. They are totally different. Also, due to lack of understanding of Japanese which virtually everyone on this forum has, how can you assume that the Japanese have such a "high skill" level? Because of misconceptions? You can't even understand Japanese. And yes, understanding is required to 100% appreciate something. Subtitles and a claim that "understanding" emotions is not going to cut it. Barriers to language are a bitch and if you are not aware of a language, you cannot appreciate it. You can't claim that you're a better judge than I to judge Spanish, Portuguese, Galician OR English than I because these are my ways of life. I know each of these languages and each are my native tongue.

Similarly, since your native tongue is Swedish, I can't claim to understand Swedish formats of grammar, emotion, since I don't speak or understand Swedish. Additionally, you can understand Danish and Bokmål.

Two, from what I've read about you, you're from Sweden, and yet you have this strange dislike of English dubs. Why? Why do you care? Don't say you don't care, because on pretty much EVERY single dub announcement or whatever, you voice your "opinion", even if it's not needed. Also, as the name implies, English dubs are INTENDED for English speaking countries, PARTICULARLY the USA and Canada. Does it matter how your limited understanding of how WE dub our work matter? Our dubs are not for you! They are solely for us! Before you say, "How about the Japanese version? By my logic, only the Japanese can watch or have an opinion on anime" that's a dumb point. Anime is Japanese and is made in Japanese and thus the Japanese version is UNIVERSAL. English however denotes a specific target audience. Your opinion is invalid, as I'd like to hear solely North American English opinions on North American English dubs. Oh and at least we make dubs! You guys don't even make dubs of anime in Sweden or Åland!

Three, your point on Japanese VAs is total bias. Please, if you're going to hold dub VAs to such stringent standards(implying your opinion matters), please do it on the things you like AS WELL. Because of the controversy of dubbing, dubs are like fat children, so poking them is okay, but if it's something we like, we don't critique it because we like it, am I right? But then again, your English dub opinions don't matter and never will. That and you can't really analyse the acting of Japanese VAs NO matter how hard you try.

1. Anime dubs are anime dubs, no matter what the language and in the end it's about acting & breathing life into the characters. And what do you mean by two different voice acting fields Anime dazed??

2. This is not a comparison of languages. I'm completely drawing a blank on as to why you're so focused on this one thing. Again, it's about acting, which transcends language barriers. I will say that understanding the language definitely adds to the experience and perhaps allows you to appreciate it more, but it is absolutely not a requirment to enjoy/dislike something.

3. Does it matter where i'm from? I've had racist remarks thrown at me before simply because i'm Swedish and dislike most dubs. Yeah i'm Swedish and I happen to be able to speak/write/understand English just as good as anyone else. I got straight A's on my CAE tests with very little effort. My English is just as good as my Swedish is, end of story. And I would say that English dubs are intended for an English speaking audience rather than simply English speaking countries. Or do I perhaps need to migrate to the closest English speaking country in order to satisfy your logic?

4. Your logic about Japanese dubs of anime being universal & US dubs of **JAPANESE** anime being only for the privileged ones who are born in an English speaking country is... flawed. That's the simplest & kindest way I can put it.

5. I have, though rather slowly, been learning Japanese for the past few months and I definitely pick up on things that I simply couldn't before, but if anything i'm enjoying Japanese dubs just as much as I did half a year ago. The coolest "benefit" about having developed some Japanese skills is being able to close your eyes while watching anime and still understand what they're saying. Doesn't always work and i'm still years away from being able to watch raw anime, but still, the little that i've learnt has not had any impact on my overall experience with JP VAs and I doubt that as I learn more it'll positively or negatively affect my enjoyment of said VAs.

6. Since you've apparently been keeping tabs on what I post i'm surprised that you decided to leave out the posts where I talk about how anime dubs are created in the US. I'm fairly knowledgable on the subject, but I guess it's easier to say that i'm just plain ignorant huh? Easiest way to dismiss an argument is by saying that the person you're talking with doesn't know what he's talking about.

I've also said some quite positive things about certain US dub VAs performances, but I guess you decided to ignore those as well?
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
I have yet to enjoy a Margaret McDonald dub. Her delivery always seems rushed and monotone, making it come off very unnatural. So far I've seen, and been disappointed by, her playing Saigusa in Little Busters!, Miho in Girls und Panzer, and Tamako in Tamako Market. Expectations are low, but maybe this one will be better...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Fred the Barber wrote:
So far I've seen, and been disappointed by, her playing Saigusa in Little Busters!, Miho in Girls und Panzer, and Tamako in Tamako Market.

I can understand how Margaret sounded a bit off-putting with Haruka Saigusa (then again, the English version of Little Busters did come from a now-not-so-great director), but I thought she fared well with Miho and, particularly, Tamako. I felt she was the most expressive with those two latter characters so far.
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I got used to her Miho, but her Tamako drove me absolutely nuts. That was the worst, for me, in terms of constantly being the same pitch, the same speed of delivery, etc. I got no emotion at all from her in that role. People are saying she's changed things up, and of course I'll give it a fair shot, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the show plenty, but still, I'm definitely setting the expectations bar lower than if it were someone I liked more in that role.
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Margaret McDonald reminds me of Elisa Wain. Cute voice but the acting is very one–note, doesn't change levels most of the time.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
1. Anime dubs are anime dubs, no matter what the language and in the end it's about acting & breathing life into the characters. And what do you mean by two different voice acting fields Anime dazed??
He's babeling incoherently, but two cultures at two different times don't necessarily agree on what constitutes "good acting". Just watch the classic films from the olden days of Hollywood - the acting style is incredibly different from modern productions.
Quote:
2. This is not a comparison of languages. I'm completely drawing a blank on as to why you're so focused on this one thing. Again, it's about acting, which transcends language barriers. I will say that understanding the language definitely adds to the experience and perhaps allows you to appreciate it more, but it is absolutely not a requirment to enjoy/dislike something.
I've heard Japanese dubs are very overacted in ways that would never fly in an English dub; we supposedly just don't catch it because of the language barrier.
GalicianNightmare wrote:
Just to throw this out there, English and Swedish are both Germanic languages.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I see no reason why a character in an English dub must "sound" like the same character in the Japanese version. The sound only needs to be consistent with the character presented.

Since there has been so much controversy, I've been listening to the dub version of this show. Sounds fine to me. The sound and the acting is consistent with the plot of the show.

So many people complain when a show doesn't get a dub. So many people complain when a dub is provided. It seems as though the companies can't win.
Stratum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
I got my copy and I've noticed that the dub changes some of the jokes. spoiler[One example in episode 3 when Yuta asks Rikka about her lunch, her reply resembles what Yuta said in his flashback. In the dub she just repeats what she told her classmates earlier. In episode 4 when Rikka finds Yuta's magazine, her line the dub is longer and overlaps with the visual gag. The jokes about how Nibutani kept changing her age during her chunibyo years seems to be gone as the dub just picks a single age.] I'm not sure if those count as spoilers, but whatever.

Also, the chuni-shorts have not been dubbed so anyone who watches dubbed only will miss out.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Stratum wrote:
In episode 4 when Rikka finds Yuta's magazine, her line the dub is longer and overlaps with the visual gag.
Yep, it's a Sentai dub alright. That sort of mistake is common when you just rip the dialogue straight from the subtitles without any consideration for comedic timing. Doing stuff without thinking seems to happen a lot at Sentai. As much as I love her as a voice actor, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure why anyone would think casting Jessica Calvello as Saori in Garupan was a good idea even after I've seen both the show and the OVAs dubbed in their entirety. Don't get me started on Cynthia Martinez's Illya or Greg Ayres playing a deep voiced musclebound jock in Little Busters.

Speaking of the Garupan dub, I actually quite liked Meg McDonald's Miho overall. Though Miho often acts very cutesy, she's very mature and levelheaded in combat so in general McDonald's deeper voice actually fits her personality very well. It's different and honestly I much prefer Mai Fuchigami's performance, but it works.

I'm hoping the same goes for Rikka in Chuu2 but I can't help being a little pessimistic since it is Sentai we're dealing with here.
Fred the Barber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
I'm probably unusual in generally being a fan of Greg Ayres, ever since Clannad. It took some getting used to, but now I really like his voice, and I think he's a solid actor. All that said, good lord you are so right about what an awful casting choice it was to make him Masato in Little Busters!. I had no baseline (hadn't played the VN or watched the sub), but from the moment he opened his mouth, it was a complete misfit.
Stratum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Yep, it's a Sentai dub alright. That sort of mistake is common when you just rip the dialogue straight from the subtitles without any consideration for comedic timing.
Sorry, I should clarify that when I said longer I meant in comparison to the subs.

Sub:What I did find was this one volume
Dub:Too bad. However I did find this sinister magazine

The word "sinister" is spoken during the gag and magazine is said afterwards despite there not being anymore mouth flaps.
EclecticDude23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Ill admit at first I would have liked Monica Rial as Rikka, but Meg does a great enough in the dub overall that I don't mind it.

Plus I think the rationale that Monica Rial playing Rikka due to the fact she voiced two other girls with eyepatches (Another and the ef series) is a bit flimsy

That would be like casting Wendee Lee in certain shows because those characters share the same seiyuu, but there's no way that would happen..... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4