• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Casts Daman Mills as Lead in Holy Knight OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Still waiting on Ladies Versus Butlers...

Quite the opposite, in fact. He's brand new, untested talent.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Why does he have to hold up his own tablet? Can't MB afford to at least give him a stand? Confused

I don't know if that is a publicity shot or what, but if not, then the they need to realize that you lose a lot of performance from your actor by constricting them like that.

A lot of folks don't realize this, but it's actually a good idea to be physically active in concert with your performance in front of the microphone... particularly your hands.

Good on Daman for getting cast in the role (I don't know him, but it's always good to see someone come up through the ranks and IIRC he's been doing a lot of online voice over work for some time). I look forward to hearing the final product.

BTW: they might want to think about putting something in the corners of the room. I saw a larger version of this pic and it appears to be a perfect square. Sound waves don't do well in that situation because the set of room modes created by one pair of surfaces that occur at exactly the same frequencies as those from another pair of surfaces (which is also why you don't want all the foam facing the same direction in a recording room; then again, you want to avoid foam if you can do so).

Long story short, it in different areas in the room, you're going to get reflections that will either add to or subtract from the audio source, which means that what you're recording isn't actually the same as what the audio source (i.e., the actor) is producing.

Best way I've ever heard it described was to think of the sound waves from an audio source in the same way as watching a snooker ball bounce off the cushions of a billiard table.

/sorry... acoustics is a bit of a thing of mine
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Anybody else surprised that Media Blasters is still around?

MB getting its own in-house dubbing studio certainly would be helpful to reducing costs and employing some New York actors.

I'm always a bit surprised every time I hear about them doing anything. There have been many different things that have cropped up over the last few years that seemed like the company was finished, yet here it is somehow.

I'm pretty sure the comments for anything about Media Blasters that I've read recently were less about the actual news and more about people being amazed that the company still exists.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
If you've been following the numerous postings that the directors have been putting up on FB, Twitter, etc., then there are a few things you can glean from the studio.

There's a music stand now. Bare bones, but at least it's there. Put something steady on it that can absorb the sound waves from the talent and they'll be good (I'd recommend some neoprene with a good fabric over it).

For those who are wondering about the microphone, it appears to be a Neumann TLM49. I'm going to say that it's an interesting choice for ADR. As a general voice over mic, it's hit-or-miss with talent. That said, when it works for a talent, you get a smooth upper-mid presence without sibilance or buzziness. It doesn't have anywhere near the SPL of the perennial favorite anime mic, the Neumann TLM103, but at 129dB, it's no slouch either (the 103 is about 10dB higher). So for shouting/screaming/excessively loud performances, they'll want to have the talent take a step back or go slightly off mic to avoid distortion.

There are other mics in the same range as the TLM49 which have better pickup and sound for spoken word and vocals, but none that stand out of the mix like the TLM49 will. I think that with a good mixing engineer, MB will have the opportunity to have a sound which is similar to, but slightly different (i.e., a bit smoother) than expected.

so yeah, *thumbs up* in that regard. It's an intriguing choice, and one which may pay off very well.

/apologies for the late post, but when I saw it I figured it was worth adding
//microphone junkie
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2