• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist GN 1-3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Likewise, a case could be made that the reviewer just said that nothing makes you think *exactly like* FMA does, not that it's the most thought-provoking series out there. I'm not going to fight to defend that thesis, but it does amuse me that people automatically made the leap from one to the other...

I think it's been established by the editor and the reviewer herself that the comments in question did in fact refer to the overall quality of the manga, not its unique aspects. And if this was the case the questions posed by the manga are fairly univeral and executed in a straightforward manner.
But what's with all the "Eden" talk now? I agree that Eden is definitally a superior manga to FMA, but we're not talking about what's better. Eden's substance comes from its characters and their interactions with the world around them; it isn't the kind of story to ask philisophical questions at this point in the book and the gnostic symbolism is shallow at best. There are better examples to compare with FMA for this specific argument. And I'd hardly call this review childish just because you disagree with the opinions presented here (especially if your not going to put forth a strong counter-argument). She offered an explanation of her views and didn't once come off as fangirlish.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

But what's with all the "Eden" talk now? I agree that Eden is definitally a superior manga to FMA, but we're not talking about what's better. Eden's substance comes from its characters and their interactions with the world around them; it isn't the kind of story to ask philisophical questions at this point in the book and the gnostic symbolism is shallow at best. There are better examples to compare with FMA for this specific argument. And I'd hardly call this review childish just because you disagree with the opinions presented here (especially if your not going to put forth a strong counter-argument). She offered an explanation of her views and didn't once come off as fangirlish.

You're not far enough into Eden to understand what I'm talking about, then.

That's not why I'm calling the review childish...it's because of outlandish statements like the one on the main page. It's simply immature to say something like that, and we both know it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You're not far enough into Eden to understand what I'm talking about, then.

I see, then I'll reserve judgement on those aspects.

Quote:

That's not why I'm calling the review childish...it's because of outlandish statements like the one on the main page. It's simply immature to say something like that, and we both know it.

No, it isn't immature. If I recall you've stated (I think it was you...) that Berserk is the greatest manga ever created as well as the deepest. I and other people have disagreed with this believe on grounds that you probobly haven't read every manga available in english, not to mention I don't believe Berserk is flawless. Similarly, Ms. Harper made a statement that I (and obviously alot of other people) believe to be false. Part of it stems from her probobly not having read every manga available in english, and part of it probobly stems from a difference in tastes. Both of your opinions have their fair share of supporters as well as detractors. So how is it that it's ok for you to call her opinion, no matter how extreme, immature when your saying more or less the same thing about a diffrent title? The fact that most people (myself included) would agree that Berserk is a better title than FMA is irelevent as well; it's about being able to respect an intellegent opinion that is diffrent than your own, no matter how outlandish (key word here is intellegent, because I have no problem dismissing fanboy rantings). I don't think she should have made that statement because of the whole "not having read every manga" thing (not to mention it is a pretty outlandish thing to be saying), but I'd call that an understandable mistake considering the review was well-writen and she has made a level-headed response to everyone here. As a film fan if I disreguarded a critic's opinion everytime they made an outlandish statement (Ebert's take on Crash comes to mind) I'd be fresh out of reviewers to rely on. The key thing it to take the positive and the negative with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Now that I think about it you do have a point considering you were just expressing your opinion on a message board, not being paid to write a review for a major anime site. I still think calling the statements "childish" is a bit much, especially given her writing and intellegent response to the criticism.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Hey, if she likes it that much, good for her. I think it's a great manga, and when put in the same category as the other major shounen manga, her comments definitely stand up. Is it better than all of the manga out right now? Of course not. But for a shounen fighting manga, it's pretty darn deep. I don't think it really makes sense to try to compare Fullmetal Alchemist to stuff like Berserk or Eden, which are very different and aimed at a very different audience.

That being said, I think what we all really need is more GaoGaiGar.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
As a staff I tried to refrain criticizing ANN's reviews, but I've noticed a problem for a long time: the rating of the art is often "locked" with the story, i.e. when the plot or the storytelling is good then the artwork often gets similar letter grade and vice versa.

Here's one exception.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Like Craeyst Raygal said, FMA has lots of melodramatic, "what is life worth" moments and situations that can come off as contrived (though unlike him I feel that melodrama is successful for the most part); unsentimental social commentary and a horror story that's actively told from a child's point of view (not to mention the overall level of storytelling) is a more profound accomplishment in my opinion, even with Umezu's overuse of exclamation points and screaming.

I would take it more as a difference in execution rather than the themes explored. While I've only read (and been deeply impressed) by the first two volumes of The Drifting Classrom so far, it has shown to explore as many different themes as Fullmetal Alchemist has, despite how the former is much more serious and less "bloated" than the latter. Of course, I do consider how I've read only two out of eleven volumes worth of material for The Drifting Classroom compared to about fifteen volumes worth for Fullmetal Alchemist, so I'm willing to give it more time if I want any future comparisons between the two.

minakichan wrote:
As for it being one of the most thought-provoking books ever? ... Again, not quite, I don't think. Best shounen manga title aimed at teens? Perhaps (although again, I think Death Note is stronger).

The thing is that Fullmetal Alchemist doesn't have a very poorly written second half and an awful ending that the Death Note manga, but then again Viz has gotten that far in its releases, so I'll quietly walk off the stage on that issue for now...

As for the Eden: It's an Endless World! praise going about: having read the first eleven volumes of the series and picking up Dark Horse's releases as they come out, I'd say that while a bit too over-hyped by some, it is easily excellent thought-oriented manga with the issues that it raises, and the best apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic manga that's still being released stateside.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3