×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami's Kill la Kill Promo Video Debuts


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hellwarden



Joined: 10 Aug 2013
Posts: 321
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...one of the most popular (worldwide anyway) anime in years arrives on Toonami just as it's getting cut in half.

What a world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blatch
Thread Killer



Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 348
Location: Northeast U.S.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Hmmm...one of the most popular (worldwide anyway) anime in years arrives on Toonami just as it's getting cut in half.

What a world.


As it much as it sucks to lose so much time, I like to think that this downsizing is good in the long run because it eliminates almost all of the rerunning shows.

The loss of 11:30, though, which is where this show should be airing, definitely really hurts. I hope we can win that slot back someday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8476
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I remember watching the first few episodes of the English dub, but I don't remember it being as bad as this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3989
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to watch this again Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5544
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow. I remember watching the first few episodes of the English dub, but I don't remember it being as bad as this.
Heh..I'm usually the one bashing dubs and I was actually going to comment on how this actually sounds like a pretty good dub compared to most stuff I've heard lately. At least they didn't change important plot details like the chuunibyou dub (changing middle school to elementary school in an anime named after 8th grader's syndrome...wtf?) I still wish they would get shows that are lesser known;use TV as exposure rather than just showing stuff that most people who care about it have already seen or even already own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CatSword



Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 1489
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
TV-MA-S, eh? Toonami's never used that rating, and Adult Swim has only used it very rarely (with one episode of Stroker and Hoop and one of Evangelion). It'll be interesting to see if they blur out any of the almost-but-not-quite boob/crotch shots in the early episodes, but the real test will be the infamous Satsuki-Ragyo scene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott



Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 6773
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
That was an epic PV. Smile
It's satisfying that the viewers won't have to wait until early morning to watch Kill la Kill.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
_Cyphon_



Joined: 16 Nov 2014
Posts: 996
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the english dub was pretty meh in my opinion. Anime just doesn't work well with english.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hypeathon



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 1176
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I still wish they would get shows that are lesser known;use TV as exposure rather than just showing stuff that most people who care about it have already seen or even already own.

The reason that usually happens is because the Toonami crew responds to the shows that get requested the most. Shows like Kill la Kill, Attack on Titan and Naruto Shippuden were among them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajtpak



Joined: 17 Dec 2014
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Wow. I remember watching the first few episodes of the English dub, but I don't remember it being as bad as this.
Heh..I'm usually the one bashing dubs and I was actually going to comment on how this actually sounds like a pretty good dub compared to most stuff I've heard lately. At least they didn't change important plot details like the chuunibyou dub (changing middle school to elementary school in an anime named after 8th grader's syndrome...wtf?) I still wish they would get shows that are lesser known;use TV as exposure rather than just showing stuff that most people who care about it have already seen or even already own.

honestly this. Compared to other english dubs, it's actualy pretty good. Definitly not on a level like cowboy bebop obviously but more on decent to very good tier
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 3717
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
They were about to show it, then they skipped right over Ryuuko's transformation sequence! So it makes me wonder if anything will be cut...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14813
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I still wish they would get shows that are lesser known;use TV as exposure rather than just showing stuff that most people who care about it have already seen or even already own.

The reason that usually happens is because the Toonami crew responds to the shows that get requested the most. Shows like Kill la Kill, Attack on Titan and Naruto Shippuden were among them.


Well, they did show Samurai 7, and most haven't already seen nor own that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 1530
Location: Englewood, Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
TV-MA-S, eh? Toonami's never used that rating, and Adult Swim has only used it very rarely (with one episode of Stroker and Hoop and one of Evangelion).


LIST OF TV-MAS ADULT SWIM PROGRAMS
Stroker and Hoop: "XXX Wife a.k.a. Stroke Her and Boob"
Neon Genesis Evangelion: "Weaving a Story 2: Oral Stage"
Black Dynamite: "Pilot or Trouble on Puppet Street"
Aqua Something You Know Whatever: "Shirt Herpes"
The Heart, She Holler: "Werelan"
Robot Chicken: "Legion of Super-Gyros"
Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories: "Roommates"
Newsreaders: "How the Sausage is Made; Lottery Winners Lose"

Yes, very rare, but more than you think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1727
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
That certainly got my attention. Very interested in how this goes. I really enjoyed the voices and the dialogue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Greed1914



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 4502
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wow. I remember watching the first few episodes of the English dub, but I don't remember it being as bad as this.


As I recall, a lot of folks (myself included) were less than impressed on the clips before volume 1 came out, and then the reviews for the dubs so far ended up being very positive. Maybe something about it doesn't work in a chopped up format?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group