• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Wild Force Actor Ricardo Medina, Jr. Arrested for Murder

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With waiting years after the fact, I would wonder why the accuser(s) waited so long and wonder about what happened to the evidence.

Rape is a hard crime to deal with effectively, not many accusations are easy to substantiate and when it comes down to your word versus theirs, even a few decades ago, it was pertty common for such crimes to go unreported. It seems, in the Cosby case, someone coming forward set the dominoes in motion and made a mound of accusations that are hard to ignore.

There may also be a modern swing of sympathy towards those who offer accusations of rape (which has it's own problems)
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Definitely did not expect to see an article like this when I got home.

From what is stated so far it seems like an unfortunate incident on both sides. Even if it was self defense they'll probably say that his behavior of using a sword to defend himself (and stabbing someone in the gut) was excessive.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
The most I see them doing is pulling "Wild Force" off Netflix and discontinuing reruns of "Samurai" until further notice. Then again, murder charges didn't stop Disney from casting Phil Lewis in "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody."
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
-California Penal Code Section 198.5
"granting a justification for deadly force inside one’s residence. If someone forces his or her way into your home, and you have a “reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury,” then you would be justified in using deadly force to defend yourself."

This says Home, but since they were housemates, it should also cover his room.

That assumption isn't a guarantee. Even if that is true, I think you would need some solid evidence to support your claim of a fear of imminent peril. When it is a stranger, sure I mean you don't know them so logically you don't know what they might do. That he was afraid his room mate and probably friend might either kill him or cause great bodily injury, I'd require more than just his say so (like a history of violence, or maybe a specific reason he thought his roommate might take the altercation that far).

Also, his girlfriend was there as well. Seems like if her statement concurred that there was a fear of death/great bodily injury that he wouldn't be charged. That makes me think either what you quoted doesn't apply or she didn't agree with him on the circumstances.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
It seems, in the Cosby case, someone coming forward set the dominoes in motion and made a mound of accusations that are hard to ignore.

It should be noted that there's been official allegations for over a decade now, and Cosby actually came to a settlement with the first accuser during a suit that had thirteen other women offer anonymous accusations.

The real catalyst now was a comedian (a man named Hannibal Buress) doing a bit about the allegations that went viral. Once those were floating back in the news, dozens of women started coming forward.
Tratious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Tratious wrote:
-California Penal Code Section 198.5
"granting a justification for deadly force inside one’s residence. If someone forces his or her way into your home, and you have a “reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury,” then you would be justified in using deadly force to defend yourself."

This says Home, but since they were housemates, it should also cover his room.

That assumption isn't a guarantee. Even if that is true, I think you would need some solid evidence to support your claim of a fear of imminent peril. When it is a stranger, sure I mean you don't know them so logically you don't know what they might do. That he was afraid his room mate and probably friend might either kill him or cause great bodily injury, I'd require more than just his say so (like a history of violence, or maybe a specific reason he thought his roommate might take the altercation that far).

Also, his girlfriend was there as well. Seems like if her statement concurred that there was a fear of death/great bodily injury that he wouldn't be charged. That makes me think either what you quoted doesn't apply or she didn't agree with him on the circumstances.

There is alot of what ifs for this whole thing, but I'd assume since from the article it says he forcibly entered this persons room, I'm going to assume he kicked the door in. If I was in this situation I would assume he meant to do bodily harm to me, if my door was locked and I was trying to retreat to safety in my room.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
[No backseat moderating or backseat administrating. ~Zalis]
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With waiting years after the fact, I would wonder why the accuser(s) waited so long and wonder about what happened to the evidence.

These aren't new accusations. The rape allegations against Cosby go back to the 80's. But he was the biggest star on television at the time, so it was easy for the media and his lawyers to keep any accusations from going anywhere.

Many of the women who are being called "new accusers" of Cosby actually accused him more than 30 years ago, when the bulk of the crimes were allegedly committed. But no one paid attention to those accusations until now.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
ReNellGlover wrote:
I guess Power Rangers will have to be removed from Nick, Nicktoons, Netflix, Hulu, etc. until further notice (I'm NOT joking).
over an actor that's not even on the show anymore?

I wouldn't bet on that.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:
I guess Power Rangers will have to be removed from Nick, Nicktoons, Netflix, Hulu, etc. until further notice (I'm NOT joking).

Yeah right. You are so joking.

Animeking1108 wrote:
The most I see them doing is pulling "Wild Force" off Netflix and discontinuing reruns of "Samurai" until further notice. Then again, murder charges didn't stop Disney from casting Phil Lewis in "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody."

I seriously doubt they'll pull Wild Force or Samurai off Netflix because of this.

[Do not double-post to quote multiple people. Learn to use Copy&Paste. ~Zalis]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

I seriously doubt they'll pull Wild Force or Samurai off Netflix because of this.

It definitely wouldn't be fair to the other actors who rely on the show airing on TV for a job. Unless the show is over, I don't watch it so I'm not sure about it's status.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Wyvern, my statement is referring to victims waiting years to come forward in general.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
The other guy would have had to have been trying to kill him or had a weapon himself to warrant pulling out a samurai sword and stabbing him in the abdomen. I find it a little hard to believe that he did it purely out of self defense but I guess there is always more to the story. I just wonder why his first line of defense was a samurai sword. Like was it decorative or meant for self defense? Either way you would think he would have grabbed a blunt object or something to defend himself rather than a samurai sword why was that thing closest to him?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Typically, the reason is a lack of perceived support. Take, for example, the rape accusations against that slimeball who released that "funny" video where he groped women last year. Quite a few women stepped up after that and said "Hey! He did that to me, too!", and it was partly in response to the negative backlash that guy received from his videos.

You tend to see this a lot with abuse and rape victims. Because they *know* how people will react (dismiss their claims, blame them for being abused and/or raped, etc.), they don't feel comfortable stepping out into the limelight alone. Now, if one person does come out, and then another, etc. until it snowballs, then the victims often feel as though they're in a united front, rather than going it alone. Very few people could withstand that public backlash alone, and in situations like those were the victims are already feeling vulnerable about what happened to them, they truly feel that there is safety in numbers.

EDIT: As for evidence, not all women opt for a rape kit. In addition, I believe there is a time limit on how long bodily fluids stay inside a body, so once it's gone, it's gone for good.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
IGN has now reported on this. So the news of his arrest is spreading really quick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5