• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RWBY Creator/Director Monty Oum Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xthorgoldx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Dangit, Monty. Not like this.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
33? Anaphylaxis, after being comatose for 10 days, just because of a routine procedure? Words fail me.

RIP
jkphantom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Monty, you will never be forgotten. Crying or Very sad

May your soul find rest in heaven
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is so unexpected. Really sad that he died so young especially considering RWBY Season 2 wasn't too long ago.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to check out Rwby but I loved the work he did for Red vs Blue. May he rest in peace.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow; Haloid was a great display of his talents for choreography and direction and only improved with RvB. Sadly, I never thought he was a great storyteller as RWBY was severely lacking. Still, Rooster Teeth has lost an irreplaceable asset and I don't know what they could do to fill the void he has lift. Rest in peace boyo
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Not familiar with his creation, but still so sad to hear...he was so young. Sad

RIP
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Glob, this is too sudden. He's still so young and so talented, he should had been able to make more breakthrough in animation industry. Rest in peace, Oum. Deepest condolences to his family and friends, and for us to lose such great person.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Man this is really sad. 33 is much too young, and just when he was starting to get recognition and find success. May he rest in peace.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Truly a great loss to animation and writing. I'm sad to say that I'm relatively new to his work and don't know much about his shows other than RWBY. Nonetheless this is quite an emotional blow. I've been following this since Burnie announced his hospitalization on Friday. I really thought he would survive. Sad

NOTE: Both volumes of RWBY are also streaming on Netflix as of today.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
At least he did something with his dream. RIP
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the podcast on Rooster teeth, and there were so many great, fascinating, interesting stories shared. How dedicated he was to working and always creating new ideas. How often he'd stay up for 30 hours at a time. How, after he was first hired on and Rooster teeth bought him an expensive laptop even though some other people were still using their laptops from home, he used a screwdriver to rip off the keys from the keyboard that he thought were useless or would interfere with his work if he accidentally pressed them (CAPS, F1). How obsessed he was with efficiency that he'd get irked when people were using their mouses instead of using shortcuts on their keyboards during meetings. How he rarely ever came to work wearing the same outfit. How for an entire week he'd have the movie Avatar playing on one of his dual screen monitors at half speed and no sound just so he could watch how the characters were animated and moved. How, even on vacations, he'd take his laptop and come back with three new working models or ideas. How he'd always be constantly tinkering or building things and would often destroy other co-workers desks in the process because he was playing with epoxy or scratching things with tools.

It's depressing to think of all the more he could have accomplished. But it's amazing what he has provided in the time he could.

Thank you, Monty. You'll be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
This is really sad.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Such sad news. R.I.P Monty Oum
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I remember being in college when Haloid and Dead Fantasy had come out. That seems like such a while ago. Then seeing him contributing to Red vs. Blue and after that watching RWBY was great. Truly shocking and saddening that a pioneer of today's animation has left us. I am speechless and probably need to find a tissue box here real soon. RIP to Monty Oum, you will be terribly missed, and condolences to your family, friends, and all your fans Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5