• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Aria Anime Briefly Listed For September Screening

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I freaking love ARIA to death - third favorite anime, to be precise.

My entire week has just been made! Very Happy
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quite unexpected and most welcome news! I'm going to guess it's an OVA. I'd love to see how Akari, Aika and Alice either pick their own apprentices or start planning their roles as mentors.

Last edited by TG72 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
More Aria is always welcome in my book. It's a very nice series to unwind and get rid of stress with.

I'd welcome a third Freezing TV season.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how they're gonna make it without Tomoko Kawakami and Eri Kawai.

I have no idea what kind of story it will be, but I can hardly wait.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
I wonder how they're gonna make it without Tomoko Kawakami and Eri Kawai.

afaik at the end of the series Athena Glory retired from the undine business and was doing theater using her beloved voice. So at most she would do a cameo, same as Alicia's mentor did in a couple of episodes. As for Eri Kawai, let's hope they choose the right person to sing the theme songs (and not someone with connections with a music company).
Nilrem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
It's not much into the forth of Feb here and this is probably the best news I'll hear all month Smile

Awesome news, even if it's just half as good as the existing anime it'll be great Very Happy
rainwithsunshine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
YAY! Good things do happen!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
As for the first two, maybe they still have the original frames and can do a re-shot in high def? let me dream a little! Anime hyper
Sadly not really possible with digipaint anime created in SD. Stuff made from ~1999-2007, after they stopped using cels/film (which can be rescanned at higher resolutions for true HD transfers) and before digipaint anime began to be drawn/animated in HD, is essentially "locked" in SD. Aside from a few exceptions that actually were done in HD such as 12 Kingdoms, GitS: SAC, and Samurai 7, doing Blu-Rays of early/mid 00s anime requires upscaling. Or completely reanimating the series.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sadly not really possible ... Or completely reanimating the series.

I apply to thy the first law of Clarke. Rather than impossible, it would cost money, more money than a re-transfer from film would require. But since so many people already own a nice disc release AND Aria is the kind of anime that requires, nay, DESERVES to be in high definition, nay, deserves to be in full 16:9 so Neo-Venezia can be seen in its full splendor, I think one of the reasons to pull this promotional stunt is to try to gauge if potential customers would be happy with a mere upscale or if there is enough interest to update the first two seasons, even the third one needs to go up from 720p to 1080p.

IMO upscales are really overrated as can be seen by the sales numbers of the recent Oh! My Goddess BD box set, 849 for season one and 822 for season two plus ova. This is a really popular series and a wonderful adaption, but anyone interested already had the DVDs, so there was no real reason (specially in an economy in depression) to pay for a product that offered no real improvements.

Sadly there is little we can do this side of the pond, I can dream of a spanish dub when they re-release it over here, but that is really, really, unlikely (even though dubbing in mexico city is way cheaper than doing it in LA or Canada).
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Interesting.......

Aria the OVA: Arietta; spoiler[That has a dream sequence in it,
where Akari is now running the ARIA Company.
In the dream she has two Undine's that she is training, of which Ai is one of them.]

This would make a good starting point, for adding another chapter.

I watched this some time ago.
It is a relaxing watch, only.....

Yeah,
The cat's kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Rolling Eyes

I seem to remember that an Italian Dub was done for this. Question

Hmmm.......
I can't find anything concrete to corroborate it. Confused

Signed: Janitor Tzap
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Nice! I love the series and welcome more.

Here's Nozomi's chance to get in the Blu-ray market; I'd double-dip for BDs.

what i really hope is that they would FINALLY dub the series. the same for both Emma , maria watches over us and junjo romantica.

hopefully this news would at least give right stuff the option to pursue the notion of giving this series a dub though considering it is them after all, its almost all a given that the series will be another line of nozumi's sub only releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Janitor Tzap wrote:

You are not supposed to ask Cait Sith for a back rub! Anime hyper

Quote:

Hmmm.......

amazon.it supports your theory, all three seasons were dubbed to italian. Sadly the ova was not.

jr0904 wrote:
hopefully this news would at least give right stuff the option to pursue the notion of giving this series a dub though considering it is them after all, its almost all a given that the series will be another line of nozumi's sub only releases.

Since they obviously do not own the rights to a BD release, maybe this time around they will sell them to a company interested in doing a good dub (since a half-assed dub wont do for Aria).
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Janitor Tzap wrote:

You are not supposed to ask Cait Sith for a back rub! Anime hyper

Quote:

Hmmm.......

amazon.it supports your theory, all three seasons were dubbed to italian. Sadly the ova was not.

jr0904 wrote:

Since they obviously do not own the rights to a BD release, maybe this time around they will sell them to a company interested in doing a good dub (since a half-assed dub wont do for Aria).
Okay.....
I looked in the ANN's Anime Encyclopedia.
It does show an Italian Dub, and several others.

Rather strange that this hasn't received an English Dub,
being that it is well liked, and has been out since 2006.
Guess RightStuf just doesn't have the budgeting to be doing Dubbings. Rolling Eyes

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Violynne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Do we really need to see Neo-Venezia trashed and vandalized by Q-TEC?

Maybe not, but here's hoping the bluray will have more than 3 episodes per disk. It drives me nuts so few episodes are placed on a disk.

I'd even double-dip for a re-release of the DVD sets if there were 6 eps per disk.

I have an Oppo bluray player. DVDs get upscaled anyway.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
More Aria is always welcome in my book. It's a very nice series to unwind and get rid of stress with.

I'd welcome a third Freezing TV season.

As would I. However Freezing is not quite the laid back and relaxing title that Aria is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both. Comparing them though is like comparing a nice steady relaxed trail hike to the 100 meter dash with Usain Bolt running by you giving you John Cena's you can't see me hand gesture with one hand as he orders new shoes on his Galaxy S5 with the other.

Violynne wrote:

Maybe not, but here's hoping the bluray will have more than 3 episodes per disk. It drives me nuts so few episodes are placed on a disk.

I'd even double-dip for a re-release of the DVD sets if there were 6 eps per disk.

I have an Oppo bluray player. DVDs get upscaled anyway.

Actually Justin Sevakis recently answered a question in an Answerman column about why this is done. He explained why the amount of episodes per disc can affect the quality of the picture. This was the particular column. Don't get me wrong I am sure sometimes, many times, it is about maximizing profits, but not ll the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4