• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seadevil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
My list topper was definitely Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun! While a lot of OPs embodied their shows, no OP got me as excited for the upcoming show as Nazaki-kun could. I would usually have to end my viewing by watching the OP again after the show.

The rest of my top 10 is in no particular order:
Barakamon
No Game No Life
Parasyte
Noragami
Space Dandy
Zankyou no Terror
Akame ga Kill
Tokyo Ghoul
Your Lie in April
Rage of Bahamut

And I don't know if it met the requirements for 2014, but Tsukimonogatari had a great opening, my favorite from all the Monogatari series.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Voted for Nagi No Asukara. Especially, hands down the best OP/EDs of 2013 and 2014 in my book. Not being on the list by default made me very sad.

Man, I love the OPs/EDs of Nagi no Asukara. In fact, the second opening was what got me into discovering the show and watched it in the first place. But considering that it aired during Fall of 2013, I guess it couldn't make the list.
Zump

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
1. "Viva Namida" - Space Dandy: a really groovy tune that sets the mood for the show. Love the part where the mecha flies by and gestures to a fleet of other mechas as if to say, "Let's go!"
2. "Tada Hitori" - Ping Pong: Such an energetic song. The mind-blowing animation in the OP really compliments it.
3. "Stand Proud" - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders: has sort of a power metal sound to it. The song just screams, "Let's go kick Dio's ass!" Also, I always smile at the part when Polnareff jumps in the OP.
4. "EXiSTENCE" - Rage of Bahamut: Genesis: this song is so metal it gets me pumped up for the show.
5. "BLAZING" - Gundam Reconguista in G: This tune is so goofy that I can't help but smile whenever I listen to it.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
I voted for:

Blue Spring Ride
Your Lie in April
Hanayamata

I've not actually watched any of Hanayamata other than the opening, and only watched the first episode of Your Lie in April after seeing it on this list, but those two openings seem really good. Blue Spring Ride is the only show I was watching from 2014 that I particularly liked the opening from, though I've only watched about 10 shows from 2014 (and that is counting a bunch of shows with 5 minute episodes). I'll have more to vote for when Hope does lists for earlier years.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Voted for Nagi No Asukara. Especially, hands down the best OP/EDs of 2013 and 2014 in my book. Not being on the list by default made me very sad.

Hearing Aqua Terrarium live at Animax Musix 2013 day 2 was brilliant, missing Nagi Yanagi and Chiaki Ishikawa collaborating live at Kitamae 2014 was sad.
Mari-Tan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
I'm very surprised.... Almost all my favorite openings of last year are in the list
Aside from the list, I also like the openings in Haikyuu, Wixoss and Captain Earth (the first one was so beautiful, god)
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
I am so glad to see you still doing video lists, Hope! When you announced the end of your JesuOtaku vids, my friends and I were devastated (well, as devastated as one can be over an Internet personality). Glad to have you back Very Happy

I think my top opening would have to go to Space Dandy, with Your Lie In April as a close second. I also really liked the Free! Eternal Summer opening (it was a lot stronger than Free!'s original opening).
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
The poll is rather useless. What about the shows which have more than one OP ?

I'm not even surprised it doesn't include Yowamushi Pedal, even though the first and second seasons have some of the best openings of 2014.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this video! I first learned about ANN through JesuOtaku, so having another video from her like this was a welcome surprise Smile

I've got to go with Tokyo Ghoul's opening as my favorite, especially since the visuals were gorgeous and told quite a story on their own.

As for future lists, I'd love to see a countdown of the best instrumental tracks from Evangelion (series and movies), as well as the best use of classical music in an anime series (Manfred Symphony from Gankutsuou comes to mind, as well as Nodame Cantabile and Princess Tutu). I could also see some kind of countdown of weirdest Utena tracks. Maybe even a "best of Yoko Kanno" list?

Will definitely keep an eye out for future installments of this column!
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
IKKIsama wrote:
The poll is rather useless. What about the shows which have more than one OP ?

I'm more bummed with the whole "only shows that debuted in 2014 deal' Kinda puts a hamper on a nice chunk of anime like the more popular long runners. Both of Detective Conan's two 2014 OPs were awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYZKc9EC5CE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBaOIgTxhZI

The first for the song, and the second for the visuals especially
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
I still think it's unfortunate to not include series with multiple OPs because if I look at my top 10 openings, the majority are from ongoing series:

1. Samurai Flamenco OP2 - FLOW. They saved it. The animation for the opening is the cheapest thing I have seen in an anime of this caliber. Really aggravating considering how amazing the song itself it. Very powerful and strong.
2. Kindaichi OP2 - For a MUCC lover like Hope, I wonder what she thinks of this one. It didn't fit the anime it was from, but nonetheless it was really intriguing me from start to finish. The chorus is particular is amazing.
3. Magi OP2 - It's really sad that ViViD are breaking up, and this is by far my favorite song by them. They are usually known for hard rock music, but ViViD is definitely more pop than rock, but the beat itself is great, and Shin's vocals are great.
4. Naruto Shippuuden OP16 - Kana Boon are pretty big in Japan, and I think this OP is the first opening perhaps since the 8th that people overwhelmingly love. Something about the song sounds very hopeful which is rather hard to explain.
5. Fairy Tail OP16 - BACK-ON. I think ever since their resurgence in 2013 with Nibun no Ichi, they released a hit after another. This is my favorite song by them, and it's very good. The way the rap segmetns builds up the chorus makes you pumped up for battle, which fit very well as the OP to end a very long war arc.
6. Naruto Shippuuden OP15 - Funny how DOES is one of my favorite bands and yet they didn't produce my favorite Naruto OP that year, and yet it's still DOES. Very edgy, dark, and textbook DOES. Mostly beloved, probably to wash up the taste of Nogizaka46.
7. Ace no Diamond OP3 - Up until this point they got Seiyuu to do most of the songs, and then they get GLAY. GLAY are like L'arc~en~ciel in Japan, and to have them do an anime opening, perhaps the first in roughly 2 decades, was shocking. But the not so shocking part, is the fact it was good.
8. Nobunagun OP - RESPECT FOR THE DEAD MAN. I am not one to like screamo's, but this song has so much attitude and edge in it, and a very catchy beat on top of that. The song originally came out in 2013, and I was worried it'd lose its luster since. IT DIDN'T.
9. You Lie in April OP1 - goose house were good in Silver Spoon's Second ending. I thought it was good, but got old fast. Hope explained better than me why this song is great, but that chorus warms my heart every time I hear it. If that's a good explanation.
10. Kuroshitsuji Book of Circus - SID are back to the franchise that put them on the anime map, and it's a FAR better song than Monochrome no Kiss. I think I am more amazed how the instrumentation is better than the vocals themselves, making you feel you are entering a haunted place, or something that came off a Tim Burton movie. SID were kind of hit or miss for me, but this is a CLEAR hit.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
Objectively speaking, the biggest OP of 2014 was Youkai Watch's. That song was playing everywhere when I visited Japan. It's catchy as heck. It also debuted in January so it essentially took #1 right out the gate.

-Stuart Smith
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
Garo was my first time hearing a Jam project song and I'll be damned if I won't be on the lookout for their other projects(no pun intended).

Overall, this list isn't that far from my own, except for Hanayamata and Ping Pong, which I haven't seen yet. In their places I'd put No game No life and Noragami/Akatsuki no Yona(we need more instrumental openings).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 am Reply with quote
About the survey: there are some shows who had more than 1 OP in 2014 (from what I remember: Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei, Haikyū!!, Sword Art Online II). Does my vote go to the show in general or to one of its OPs?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
About the survey: there are some shows who had more than 1 OP in 2014 (from what I remember: Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Mahōka Kōkō no Rettōsei, Haikyū!!, Sword Art Online II). Does my vote go to the show in general or to one of its OPs?

There wasn't much sense in splitting them up and crowding the poll, so for the time being, a vote for a show is a vote for either OP. There will be more specific columns that have polls for specific songs from a show or franchise, but these year-end lists are pretty big so it just makes it easier to combine them (and if a show has multiple good themes, I guess that bolsters its chances of making the top ten, which seems fair to me?)

Thanks for all the awesome feedback and suggestions, guys. Very excited about the new column. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5