• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Excessive Quoting - Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
"Wall of Shame" has a nice ring to it. Although, I would also like to use "The Blacklist." But if I did that, I'd have to change my avatar to Raymond Reddington. As cool a character as he is, though, I think Dredd is more appropriate for this place.

Why not the Hall of Justice then?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Nah, "Hall of Justice" doesn't sound negative enough. Not to mention I don't want people confusing Dredd and Justice League Razz.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Why not the Hall of Justice then?

Like Tony said, Hall of Justice doesn't sound right when it comes to putting repeated offender of excessive quoting, so the wall of shame is here to stay baby. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yep, already found a banner for it, too Very Happy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Well Dredd worked out of the Hall of Justice. I guess that means the ANN staff only forum is the Hall of Justice. Oy Vey. Well look forward to seeing the banner.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Tony you could not have picked a better avatar ! Hang em high and let´s see on which shame list my posts will end up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Nah, "Hall of Justice" doesn't sound negative enough. Not to mention I don't want people confusing Dredd and Justice League Razz.

Want to hear something funny? All this time I thought your avatar was MAGNETO...I usually post from my tiny ass smartphone screen lol.

Just stopped by to see what this "Wall of Shame" is all about...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Want to hear something funny? All this time I thought your avatar was MAGNETO...I usually post from my tiny ass smartphone screen lol.

Hey, Magneto is pretty bad-ass, himself. The philosophy of mutant supremacy is not something to be disregarded so easily. Not that I'd want to be mod with a Nazi mentality, though.. But I guess a mutant nazi is cooler than The Soup Nazi.

Anyway, I think what I'll do is a 1-month Moderation duration for each user that strikes out. I'm usually pretty good at approving posts within an hour or so of their creation (unless it's overnight and I'm asleep, obviously). But as long as your post doesn't egregiously violate some rule (one-liner, being very apparently rude in response to something, over-quoting, or whatever), then it shouldn't be a problem, and I'll approve those posts as soon as I read them. The only downside for those being Moderated is the delayed appearance of their posts, which I guess can be a weird kind of torture for some.

And any over-quote slip-ups within that month will result in a single add-on of Moderated status for the *next* month, but it does not stack and will *only* go into that next month (but will carry over if you over-quote, again, *in* that month).

Also, I'm gonna' reset the strikes and outs on The Wall, come New Year's, so everyone gets a clean slate.

Does this sound reasonable?
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Anyway, I think what I'll do is a 1-month Moderation duration for each user that strikes out. I'm usually pretty good at approving posts within an hour or so of their creation (unless it's overnight and I'm asleep, obviously). But as long as your post doesn't egregiously violate some rule (one-liner, being very apparently rude in response to something, over-quoting, or whatever), then it shouldn't be a problem, and I'll approve those posts as soon as I read them. The only downside for those being Moderated is the delayed appearance of their posts, which I guess can be a weird kind of torture for some.

And any over-quote slip-ups within that month will result in a single add-on of Moderated status for the *next* month, but it does not stack and will *only* go into that next month (but will carry over if you over-quote, again, *in* that month).

Also, I'm gonna' reset the strikes and outs on The Wall, come New Year's, so everyone gets a clean slate.

I think that might work, I have no complaint over this. But do you think 1 month may be too excessive, Tony?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Yes.

I've got no problem with the one month moderation duration. Sure, if you were simply handing them out like wham, with no warning whatsoever, then it might be too much. But there's a three-strikes policy in place, so those users have had enough chances. Also, the duration needs to be long enough so that people have time to change their bad habits.

I also think that resetting all outs and strikes for New Year's is a nice gesture.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Sure, if you were simply handing them out like wham, with no warning whatsoever, then it might be too much.

Don't worry dtm42, I don't think Tony will go rogue (or mental in your English language, yes I'm 95% fluent in British, and Australian English despite never have went to UK or Australia) or something like that.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Slate has been wiped.

Please see The Wall for updated rules.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Just a suggestion, but wouldn't the wall of shame work better in your opening post Tony? That way it's front and center as opposed to being on page 2? Just a thought.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Just a suggestion, but wouldn't the wall of shame work better in your opening post Tony? That way it's front and center as opposed to being on page 2? Just a thought.

Psycho 101 does have a point, and I share that same thought too.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Psycho 101 does have a point, and I share that same thought too.

Oh, what the hell: FWIW, I agree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6