• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguillas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Etsuko Yakushimaru has the best voice. It's so beautiful and haunting. I loved the Penguindrum openings so much, but I missed this one because I have yet to watch Space Dandy.

I love Dareka, umi wo. It kind of reminds me of Skyfall. It was hard not to play it on repeat after every episode of Terror in Resonance. I loved the visuals, too, but haven't heard of Sayo Yamamoto elsewhere. I'll have to check her out; Fujiko Mine too.

I would be so down for a Monogatari Set List, however niche that may be. The opening songs to Hitagi Crab and Nekomonogatari Black are hands-down my favourites. They're both beautiful and have excellent/unusual visuals.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Huh, Im not really feeling most of these songs. They sound ok, but nothing really standout for me.(the noisycell song sounds good, but I like Death Parade's better) I do love #3 and #2 though. Walk Like an Egyptian for JoJo kicks ass, and Etsuko is a goddess. Her voice is so relaxing and cute. Penguindrum's openings are better but Welcome to the X-Dimension is definitely up there and probably her grooviest song yet. My choices:

Black Bullet: This song is amazing. My favorite Nagi Yanagi song. So epic, and probably even better than her Supercell songs.
Pilot's Love Song: I loved the juxtaposition between the girl's soft soothing voice and the fuzzy, heavy and feedbacky noise rock style guitars.
In Search of the Lost Future: Show was ok, but the endings were gorgeous. Listening to the Yui version with headphones is a trippy experience. Would have voted for the opening as well.
Fruit of Grisaia: I love Yoshino Nanjou's voice, but then again fripSide is one of my favorite bands. The visuals are cute as well.
Captain Earth That's the Tia song right? Never watched the show but the song's great.
No Game no Life: Sweet song, but episode 8's version was just disturbing and creatively made. Well played Madhouse.
I also like Yousei Teikoku's song for Tokyo ESP. And even though its kind of generic, I also really liked Gonna be the Twintail's end. And for last weeks I'm very pleased that No Game, Tokyo Ghoul, Noragami and even Parasyte made it.
thaivuN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Some of ED (music-wise) that stood out for me last year were:

days by Jin ft Maria (Mekakucity Actors)
aLIEz by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:mizuki (Aldnoah.Zero)
Oto no Naru Hou e by Goose House (Gin no Saji)
Mirror by Rei Yasuda (Mahouka koukou no Rettousei)
Believe by Kalafina (Fate/Stay Night)
Fallen by Egoist (Psycho-Pass 2)
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo ESP's outtro was probably the most notable miss of the lot alongside Hoozuki no Reitetsu's I think.

Anyway I noticed just now that the poll doesn't include Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. Was it forgotten?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I want to add multiple EDs to the poll… The World Is Still Beautiful and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun don't seem to be on the list. Heck, might as well throw in Seitokai Yakuindomo* too.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mirror by Rei Yasuda (Mahouka koukou no Rettousei)

*facepalm* can't believe I forgot that song, even though I listened to it every time on the car.............. :/ I failed at being a fan.......
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't know every time I watched Haikyuu! I always fond the ED to fit Silver Spoon's folksy theme.

Favorite ED themes include Space Dandy, Aldnoah Zero,Witch Craft Works (who can resist chibi witches burned at the stake!) Barakamon, JBA Stardust Crusaders (still don't know why they got rid of the Bangles once they arrived in Egypt and replaced it with a boring instrumental) and Noragami. I liked Chaika's OPs more than its EDs, the Tender Rain insert song from The World is Still Beautiful, and I like Splash Free 10 times more than Future Fish.

Edit: WHOA!
Never heard of Blade & Soul but that ending sounds amazing!! Shocked

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Tokyo ESP's outtro was probably the most notable miss of the lot alongside Hoozuki no Reitetsu's I think.

Anyway I noticed just now that the poll doesn't include Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders. Was it forgotten?

Shucks howdy, I wonder how that happened. Anime dazed It's been added. The ED poll selection was weirder/tougher to make than the OP poll selection, but I didn't want to make them the exact same and tried to go by most distinctive closers first.
Zhaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
While I didn't think the show was any good at all, I loved the ending to Blade and Soul so it was nice to see it mentioned
Oh and the OP and ED to Space Dandy are both great
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I feel ridiculous for admitting this, but Kamigami no Asobi's ending was one of my favorite songs from last year. I don't know enough Japanese to know what they were singing about (the lyrics were probably ridiculous), but it sounded really cool Embarassed

I totally forgot how much I loved the Silver Spoon ending! And I was happy to see "Future Fish" on there Laughing
Imitosis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Most of my personal favorites made it onto the list (Space Dandy, Silver Spoon, Ping Pong, Bahamut, Terror in Resonance, Free). I didn't even watch Rage of Bahamut but I really love the visuals in that ED.

You are right that there are two Sayo Yamamoto ED's on your list, but she isn't actually responsible for the Terror in Resonance ED. It was storyboarded, animated, and directed by Takeshi Koike. They have worked together quite a few times, most notably on Redline and The Woman Named Fujiko Mine. I can even see the confusion since the Bahamut and Terror in Resonance ED's both seem to draw some inspiration from Fujiko Mine's style. It also doesn't help that Koike is usually associated with blocky, black shading (Redline, World Record, Samurai Champloo OP), not hatching. Sayo Yamamoto did storyboard and direct Space Dandy's ED though. She makes some really great ED's and I wish that she'd get to direct another series too!

Fun fact about that Bahamut ED, it features illustrations by Yasuhiro Nakura who did the beautiful limbo planet episode of Space Dandy. I like to think he got involved with Bahamut because of connections made during Dandy's production.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
JBA Stardust Crusaders (still don't know why they got rid of the Bangles once they arrived in Egypt and replaced it with a boring instrumental)
First, I definitely agree that this is one of my picks for the best ED's of the past year.

Second, in terms of the ED for the second half of Stardust Crusaders, the choice for this will make a lot of sense once the heroes get closer to confronting Dio.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Extremely catchy rapid-fire sing along...
a snappy dance electronic treatment
and most importantly to me, visuals that are simultaneously actually pretty disturbing but also undeniably very cute.

First time you see it you think it's tasteless but eventually there is no way you can't be charmed by it.
It think it's the only ED I never skipped this year.

I am talking, of course, of the ED for Witch Craft Works.

How it is getting overlooked so severely is beyond me.

... they're singing a cute gimmiky witch theme song that fits the "antagonist" witches (who are more likable than the protagonists) perfectly... while their Chibi selves are being tortured by actual horrible medieval torture devices. It's The Inquisition! all over again.
No sacred cows!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
[Aldnoah.Zero] aLIEz (C-Cover by Sapphire)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vrvb1rwlQ

An amusing parody.
48 Rices

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh screw it, I forgot to put Ryuugajou Nanana's on the vote Sad

I can hardly skip the ending for this Sad

And there's Love Live too. It's kinda sweet and cute for some reason Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4