• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Bell has at least two gods actively screwing with him. There's nothing "convenient" about it.

Well if Freya was involved we'd normally see her having an orgasmic moment before hand. Hermes on the other hand could well be screwing around but it seems unlikely from his reaction with the "... fun being over..."

That's probably one of the positives of the LN's with their larger information dumps. You kind of get a gist of what's going to happen beforehand whilst the anime keeps you guessing, not that that's a negative. We'll find out next week anyway.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
I just want to leap into this world, I find so much of the background info and such engaging. Ryu's backstory is sad, that she became a blacklisted murderer in getting revenge from the people who killed those close to her, with how the plot has been going it almost feels like saying Bell could almost have had something similar. Bell so far has had strength in "love" and wanting to be better, but revenge is an ugly alternative.

Well the bathing thing feels like the bad side of this genre, but in general with it not lingering too long it also felt like the show was acknowledging where this sort of thing comes from, but that it can do better than that. Bell did not linger stay there peeping, not too unjustifiable anger on him.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale):

I originally had mixed thoughts on this show at first but grew on me over time especially in the last few episodes. A lot of action although I was hoping Aiz would of gotten more screen time. Oh well, didn't expect it from a 1 cour adaptation in this episode/finale. Nice to see they get a lot of spotlight into the final battle though.

Still a fun show. Nothing too great but fun entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Trouble in paradise..
spoiler[Floor boss] certainly showed up unexpectedly.
Of course Bell couldn't leave without spoiler[saving others..
The whole town had no choice but fight!]

Nice touch saving this for the final episode ^^
It was epic watching them spoiler[unite and fight]!!
Bell grew to amazing heights.
Amazing final episode!
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

Well that was a great way to end the series, atleast for the time being I hope. I thought Bell becoming too overpowered would be a problem but everything is explained in the end... Who knew Zeus was such a pervert? After defeating that Floor Boss, surely Bell must have levelled up to rank 3 or higher because that was one heck of a heroic feat.

With Aiz not having much screen time at all this season, I'm putting my money on Ryū to defeat her in a fight. That she-elf is so awesome and just the way I like to create my rogue characters in mmo/rpg's.

Hopefully we'll get a new season sometime in the future as Danmachi was very enjoyable with some great set pieces and very likeable characters. The world setting was interesting and the Dungeon definitely needs to be explored more. I'll rate the series so far as Excellent!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Who knew Zeus was such a pervert?

Clearly you never paid attention when your middle/high school literature classes were covering Greek mythology. Zeus was a notorious womanizer.

That aside, that was, yet again, one hell of a fight, one which gave everyone a chance to show off. A spectacular ending to what's going to be one of the year's best action series.

I will agree, though, that there's still a lot left to be explained, especially with the tidbits revealed at the end. Unfortunately it could be a while on another season since this apparently adapts the first five novels and novel 8 only came out in Japan a couple of weeks ago. (There is a side story focusing on Aiz that's four volumes long, but I'm not sure how they could integrate that in to the main story.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Putting it out there now, in my opinion this has been the best show of the season. Maybe one of J.C. Staff's best works.

Does this show know how to do a boss fight. We started with the gorilla earlier in the series, then mad Minotaur, and finally a Goliath. A huge raid of a battle against a "titan" of an enemy. Everyone went full out some stunning moves, enough to break the weapons. And how did Bell win? Well it was his heart of a hero, along with everyone's support it was his true desire to be a hero and save everyone. Also, Bell's grandfather is Zeus, this explains so much, including the hero and womanizer angle.

I liked all the bits with the other characters too, the whole "yes, we will save them anyway", and even menial things like Lili running around and doing what she can. Aiz was not a part of this final fight, perhaps it would have made things too easy, but this was meant to Bell's time to shine, and not to save some girl he is crushing on. I actually have seen a bit that apparently shows that there is a bit of a spinoff where it shows Aiz's story of starting in the dungeon, and I really would not mind something like that. Anyway I think most of us want more from this.

I think I said it before, but a big strength in this series is its world building, it feels like something out of some JRPG, and it actually works. Other aspects are not slouches either with characters, animation, and just listen to the sound of this episode. I rate it as Excellent, some small faults, but overall it was great.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
I thought Bell becoming too overpowered would be a problem but everything is explained in the end...

For me it is a problem.

Two episodes ago Bell arrives at the sanctuary level unconscious only by lucking out.

One episode ago he was getting beat up by local toughs.

This episode he is saving those same guys and slicing up Minotaurs as if they were newsprint. Then goes on to do what about 50 of the master-class adventurers and mages combined couldn't do. (Note that group also includes Aiz whom he could barely touch in training.) After being severely wounded and beat unconscious of course.

He is still "level 2" and called Little Rookie.

I get it that when you add anime logic with video-game logic and multiply that by the 12-episode limit this is just a natural result. Maybe for some that is satisfying but to me it feels really cheap. I think it would have been much better for Bell to be a minor contributor rather than the sole owner of the victory.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
He definitely wasn't the sole owner of that victory; he just got in the final big blow. Everyone contributed on that, which was part of what I loved about this episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Bell did not do it all, he really ended up being the one to do the most damage in one hit because he has the insane instant kill technique that scales with an incredibly strong opponent, which comes from his desire to want to be a hero. And then got the final hit in because rather than feel despair at it regaining power he ran in to try and beat it.
Mizmow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
The story has been surprisingly smart so far because it set and followed so many rules. However, since the introduction of that Argonaut skill and limit off it is in an increasing danger to lose that advantage.

As such despite the distributed combat against the boss and the on point pacing, in my opinion, the last episode was the worst so far. It definitely lowered my expectations.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Unfortunately it could be a while on another season since this apparently adapts the first five novels and novel 8 only came out in Japan a couple of weeks ago.

Log Horizon season 1 (26 episodes) covers the first 5 volumes, and when it finished airing, there were only 7 volumes published. 8 and 9 (9 being an expansion of a previously-written short story) came out in the interim, and season 2 (also 26 episodes) covers 6-10 (10 is still in the process of being written for the web version, even). Danmachi obviously has much faster pace (covering roughly the same amount of material in half the episodes), but with 3 more volumes already available, I can see it only being a couple cour before we get a second set of 13 episodes of Danmachi.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:44 am Reply with quote
Looks like we had a season 1 recap last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIzZiRgmWVU&feature=youtu.be

Official season 2 begins today!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Yay, it is back. I unfortunately am having a tough time picking out what Micah's role was in the first season, even though I watched the recap. It does look like things are bad, with a big familia picking a fight, taunting Bell into one, so they could do a war game. If it is by familia, Hestia is at a disadvantage with only Bell.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember the dude with long blue hair and the animal ear girl from the first season. I kinda liked that it was Bete who intervened with the fight. I think he was kind of a jerk in the first season, but the Ais spinoff made me like the dude a lot more. Anyway this war game thing seems interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10