• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ninja Slayer (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote

Ninja Slayer (TV)

Genre: action
Themes: cyberpunk, futuristic city, ninja

Plot Summary: The story takes place in the cyberpunk metropolis of Neo Saitama. After his wife and child are killed in a ninja turf war, salaryman Kenji Fujikido gets possessed by a mysterious ninja soul known as Naraku Ninja. As Naraku's craving for massacring the evil ninja overlaps with Fujikido's lust for revenge, together they bring Ninja Slayer – a terrifying ninja-killing grim reaper - into existence. The more their mental resonance and physical symbiosis deepens, the more powerful Ninja Slayer becomes. If Fujikido completely surrenders himself to Naraku, he will be unstoppable.

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Mv3eiorvNo4
----------------------------------

This was announced nearly a year ago...but it's finally coming. The series is actually based off of sci-fi novels written by American authors. I'm not too familiar with the work but one of my favorite studio (Trigger) is adapting this. I also some recent artwork posted on a few other anime sites..

The preview at first gave me some mixed thoughts but who knows, its unorthodox style could be appealing; kinda reminds me of Kill la Kill in a way.. The director also worked on a few episodes of TTGL before, which was one of my favorite TV series back in the days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Very mixed thoughts on this. spoiler[It's less than 15 minutes and also has a strange animation style (similar to Inferno Cop because of the director). Action tried to be flashy but I wasn't impressed by it all although Ninja Slayer's on-screen debut had a lot of energy in it. ED song seems kinda decent though.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I hated Inferno Cop and I thought it was completely obnoxious in almost every sense, so a big "OHHHH NOOOOOOOO" left my mouth when after the opening I see the aesthetic (I didn't see trailers so I don't know if it looked like that). It's 40% Inferno Cop and 60% "super cheap but cool well-timed enjoyable animation", but that 40% is still too much for me to handle, so I'm afraid I have to drop this =(
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Just ... nope.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
"YEEART!!"

A lot of the humour was lost on me to be honest. I know what they're going for, but aside from a few moments, I didn't find it funny. Oh well, it's only 12 mins an ep, so might as well continue and see the absurdity through to the end.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
So it's a huge troll right? Like everyone was expecting it to be a retro high budget Ninja BebopScrollengelion la Kill but it's just more Inferno Cop?
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
God it was awful. It's as bad as inferno cop the ultimate bait and switch you think you were getting a retro style 90's ninja show from the new studio that brought you the hit show Kill la Kill and you get this steaming turd.

Studio Trigger should hide it well in the credits that they did this show, because if you were expecting something fun and original from them you'll get punched in the gut and then set on fire.

Man I'm wishing I still had my old nintendo so I could play Ninja Gaiden that was more fun as a kid than this piece of garbage will ever be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
I did not expect this, especially that the Japanese would parody their own culture like this, it feels like something the west would be more likely to do. As something small I will say that I found it so terrible that it was actually funny, and that is clearly what they were going for, it was kind of entertaining. But a similar series, Inferno Cop, got old really quickly so I don't know if this can keep up. I might watch a bit more for things like cut-out same pictures of police officer and incredibly awkward pauses.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Strictly speaking, they're parodying American culture's use of Japanese culture in entertainment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Strictly speaking, they're parodying American culture's use of Japanese culture in entertainment.

I guess I can see that, it has the air of using it without proper context. It kind of makes me think of a show I saw... must have been several years ago, which meant it was before I actually got into anime proper, called Kappa Mikey. Really slapping together random parts of Japanese things together in a parody way.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Garbage, inferno Cop cut outs. Abandon ship.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Inferno Cop. But there was no reason to do it again. Once was plenty. This could actually have been funny, if they'd taken a different tack in executing the parody. Like maybe animating it or something.
Drizzy_Dan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
No one has posted in the thread in a while so allow me to revive it only to solidify the fact that this ONA is terrible. The comedy is there but it's overkill. I can only take so much YEEART and decapitation blood fountains.

When I saw Trigger was doing this show in what seemed like their signature animation style that they used for Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill I thought this was going to be amazing because it's a Trigger shounen. I was wrong though and it's a steaming pile. This is like Trigger's ninja anime version of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
This series has some funny phrases imo and names like Sonic Boom. Yamoto's finisher move is kinda amusing and her introduction almost reminds me a little of Ninja Slayer himself in a way.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

Although there were terrorist communist organizations, they did not attack commoners on purpose (thus the term "terrorist" is not even quite fair as usually it is about terrorizing civilians), so portrayal of such organization in this episode goes overboard. Such portrayal is result of long-running propaganda that has roots in UK and USA's anti-communist right-wing policies from late 1940s, taken by Churchill from Nazi rhetoric.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2