• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Banken: yes, you are right; I am just saying that it is limiting and it is wrong.

Episode 23:

The main lad was to be taught in obscurity of high-class cousine methods and ingredients, cooking for a simple diner.

While he gained a lot of cooking knowledge by experimenting around those simple ingredients and ways to cook them, it is not believable at all that he could compete with connoisseurs of high class cousine and have knowledge in things like lobsters's tomalley, about what to expect from dishes or not.

This is where you see that concept contradicts to the story; I wish authors would care to be more consistent. They should not have made lad's father guarding him from high-class cousine because this premise has made follow up competitions that this show depicts not quite believable.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Soma is as good as cooking as the story requires him to be... But it's safe to assume that Joichiro, being a world-class chef, probably gave him a decent culinary education. That said, it was probably his constant food battles with said world-class chef (since he was in, like, the 3rd grade) are what made him so good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale):

Overall, a pretty fun show. I liked the majority of it with the way it was adapted as it was quite faithful despite some minor parts omitted. The finale detailed Souma's duel against Akira and it was colorful with the metaphors and imagery. It had a taste of deliciousness as well thanks to their skills and their scores were very high as expected. Too bad Souma wasn't able to win although the score was very close.

No season 2 announcement but this was a very fun ride. Err, I mean delicious.

Rating it...very good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Strange they didn't show the person who placed 4th in group A. Anyway this was a great adaption of the manga. Hopefully season 2 comes out soon.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Rating it...very good!

Only that? Man you are a tougher judge than any of those on the stage. I call it Excellent, and just plain good fun. Uplifting, even.

I find it hard to believe Akira and Soma could have prepared those dishes on an open stage without anyone realizing beforehand what they were making.

Nice move also to share their dishes between them but I would like to have heard more cross-critique.

Did anyone else notice some subtle changes in the character designs? They seemed a little more filled. out. Moto-San in particular. She looks a whole lot better in a long sleeve blouse and tasteful mini than the pop-out-of-it halter top and crotch-hugging daisy dukes.

Notwithstanding Isshiki: dat ass. Dude is built, though. Clearly the best fan service in the show.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
So basically soma would have won the match against Akira 3-2 if this a Shokugeki battle.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Well Akira was the favourite to win, curry is his specialty and arguably what he did manage in the face makes Soma more impressive.

Rating the series from me, it only gets a Great. Sure it had a bunch of interesting things of turning a cooking anime into pretty much a fighting series with their dishes being the fight, but I don't entirely agree with it. I started out with a lower opinion since I really did not appreciate the over the top fanservice, especially when paired with the action, it felt a little unnecessary for both, but I grew fonder of it. I think part of what put it down were some of the standard unfair fighting tropes which stood out more with the more "real" setting. As the series found a groove of toning down certain problems and working with its characters better, it did continue to rise, but I cannot forgive it for everything.

Kind of odd, but I might say a bit like Kill la Kill, but with cooking. But along the lines, and even though it seemed to know a lot about cooking that it would get me interested in trying some stuff, I don't think it was all that clever as others. I would like to see more, I think it might go an interesting way if we get down further in the storyline. I want to see more of Nao also.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:31 am Reply with quote
Lots & lots of perfect dishes.
Made me drool again LOL
Hayama was beyond impressive.
Souma outdid himself.
The preliminaries were very intense.
Souma still has a chance to prevail at the main event.
Guess this'll have another season..
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

Glorious as expected. I really like how the episode just jumped immediately into the competition without boring recaps. Alice is such a cool girl tbh. The satirical food battle is what I had expected as well.

Really nice to see this show return although I wish it would be a 2 cour. Still good stuff. It was expected that Souma would win although Alice put up a good fight as well imo.

Decent theme song, I personally liked the first season's more though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Glorious as expected. I really like how the episode just jumped immediately into the competition without boring recaps.

What they skipped over was a pretty nice breather episode (the kids' cooking class Soma mentioned). The way they skipped straight to the match, and it only being 13 episodes, leads me to believe they're going to rush through things.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Glorious as expected. I really like how the episode just jumped immediately into the competition without boring recaps.

Second this. This is how its done. A typical shonen anime would have spent 15 screen time minutes talking and panning over stills from the prior season. The rest would start the battle which would only get to a cliffhanger in the 2nd episode. Fooey on that.

I had forgotten just how delicious this anime is. It is like I gained weight just watching it.

What's amazing is not that spoiler[Soma pulled it out for a win], but that it was convincing after the competition's opening.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Rather than rushed, I think that this was kind of the perfect way to do a second season of a shounen anime. Rather than try and recap and try and convince us of the high intensity "fights" we can expect, it came right of the gate showing exactly what we can expect. It is kind of disappointing that Alice is knocked out of the running so quickly, but what is not is how they used her, a mix of her confidence and curiosity.

This was a good first episode.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Alice is the best Nakiri
XepptizZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
I've watched the first season and the first ep of the second season. I like it, but my fear is that it's going to be very formulaic at some point. Cooking>tension>first dishes to be judged are unbelievably good, later tastings get better and better until it's time for earth shattering Soma.

The story can't progress unless Soma keeps winning, beating improbably odds, but more so than other anime. If the contest is a pass or gtfo situation, Soma is a guaranteed win.

I like watching the food and ridiculous reactions and character interactions, but the emphasis on tension kinda falls short, because of the zero threat.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 2:

Ah that was awesome. We got Megumi vs Ryo but more importantly, the amount of characterization in the show has still been quite impressive. Alice's background story along with Ryo is a pleasant sight to see too imo.

The ending has the Jojo vibe with the references. I just love how Food Wars satires its food battles and it makes it very entertaining to watch Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13