• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
That's not what he said. What he said was that no Japanese chef has won three stars for a restaurant in Paris. IIRC Shino's is already a one or two-star restaurant.

Yeah, Shinomiya's thing is about competing as a foreigner in France, not just about being Japanese in general.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16:

Lol, so we got a Snow White reference this episode. I thought the cooking was well done on most parts though with a diverse amount of food.

Seems like Soma's father Joichiro is leaving on another journey. The little glimpse of Erina seeing him at the end was very noticeable. Like it was destiny or something. Perhaps we'll see him again in the future with what he has shown us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Soma vs his dad!]
Looks like Megumi still isn't over the events from the camp.
Both spoiler[father & son] know how to surprise with their coking.
It's gonna be hard to decide the winner this time... or not.
The spoiler[kid has a lot to learn to catch up to his dad].
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Lol, so we got a Snow White reference this episode.

Give them credit for not making it a naked Snow White.
Quote:
I thought the cooking was well done on most parts though with a diverse amount of food.

Now that you mention it I wonder if Soma was set up. His dad spoiler[beat him] by going extremely exotic with ingredients. Yet the conditions of the test were that they could use anything they could find in the kitchen. When Soma first arrived the pantry was very mundane. That was the whole point of that episode -- Soma was supposed to bring his own ingredients but lost the orientation instructions. Yet this time around the same kitchen has an incredible array of ingredients from all over the world that only Jōichirō would have known how to use.

Oh, well. A lot of fun regardless.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
None of those items would have been out of place in a Japanese kitchen, necessarily. Not to mention they have an entire farm. It would be reasonable to assume the kitchen simply happened to be out of stock when Soma first arrived.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16:

I believe that the Soma's father dish is tasty, however, it take probably as much as half of daily calories due to excessive use of oils, sugars and starch (in sweet potato).

Also, oils at boiling temperatures become cancerogenous, so not only the dish is heavy for the stomach, but also has other possible health damage effects.

In other words, Soma's father has done very tasty but highly unhealthy meal (despite it being vegetarian).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I believe that the Soma's father dish is tasty, however, it take probably as much as half of daily calories due to excessive use of oils, sugars and starch (in sweet potato).

Also, oils at boiling temperatures become cancerogenous, so not only the dish is heavy for the stomach, but also has other possible health damage effects.

You are right that there are a lot of calories there, but I have never seen a Japanese person shy away from that. Everyone I have met seems to weigh half what I do and can eat and drink me under the table.

About the oils going carcinogenic I don't think that is the case. The recipe likely would have used tropical oils heavy in saturated fats which are quite stable which is why they are good cooking fats. I forget the exact number but palm oil and coconut oil's smoke point is well above 350F, which in turn is much hotter than you would ever boil a noodle broth. That recipe almost certainly was based on tropical oils.

Contrary to common understanding tropical saturated oils are among the most healthy variety of oils you can eat. If you are interested in the subject I would refer you to Dr. Mary Enig's book Know Your Fats.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Episode 16:

In other words, Soma's father has done very tasty but highly unhealthy meal (despite it being vegetarian).

Chinese and some Japanese cooking require a lot of oil. I don't see any problem with it. Again and research has show, it's not about the calories, oil or sugars. It's about how much of what you eat and what you do. I remember Michael Phelps eats a lot of calories, but it's ok because of what he does.

Not sure why people always try to compare to shonen anime to our life. If it's shonen jump, please don't try to use any logic or physics that you learn from school please.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Uh.... the majority of the calories come from the noodles.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17:

Interesting episode this week as Soma revisits some old friends...
What's also interesting about the episode is that we see more of Ikumi again. Glad to see her still being relevant in this season.

There's a small bits of foreshadowing with the spoiler[Elite 10] although I wouldn't expect to see their faces revealed for quite awhile.

The foodgasm is delicious as usual this week. Can't believe I watched this before lunch D:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Yukihira back at his old family restaurant.
Interesting that he actually asked for some help.
Still, a good choice considering the competition.
Yukihira threw down a challenge.
That should be very interesting!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
Chefs helping business in making a menu that will attract their target audience and to be more successful. Kind of makes me think of some Gordon Ramsey show I have watched a bit lately.

I honestly don't see why the owner of the fried chicken store has to be evil. Despite her face distorting in evil ways, she seems fairly legit.

Also, the episode made me totally, unfairly hungry for greasy unhealthy fried chicken.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

Mmmmmm, how I just love this show's deliciousness when it comes to food of all kinds. And we get some nice ones too this week. It's nothing exotic but Soma once again shows his cleverness. I think the episode also builds up more events for what's to come for him in the story as well.

Nice way to flesh out Ikumi's character this week too.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Let the karaage fight begin!
Soma had a pretty good strategy worked out.
They just needed to perfect the flavor.
Looks like they managed give a blow to Mozuya.
It certainly looked very delicious ^^
He managed to bring life back to the shopping district!]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Watching this show can be so unfair sometimes.

Also, it should be pretty easy for the fast food restaurant to add the wrap to their menu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13