• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akagami no Shirayuki-hime Manga Gets Summer TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Is this going to be reverse harem, or just an anime between two people? By the sounds of it the protagonist is very popular with the guys.

I've read ten volumes of the manga, and at least so far spoiler[I absolutely wouldn't call it a reverse harem. Shirayuki and Zen actually admit their feelings to each other relatively quickly for a shoujo series and while there are other guys who appear interested in her, it's either left ambiguous or they don't pursue their feelings because they know they're unrequited. It's pretty clear from the start who her heart belongs to.]

But I guess it could always change since I'm not up to date on what happens in the series.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
In response to the reverse harem question (spoiler-tagged for those who don't want to know anything about the series beforehand, but very general info):
spoiler[It's not a reverse harem. There's actually a really nice balance of male and female characters, and in a variety of different roles :)]
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I see. This might be a good watch then. I'll definitely keep this on my radar for the summer season.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this!
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Read the news, read the synopsis then thought let's go check it out. Read the first chapter....didn't stop until I had caught up with its current chapter. It's so addictive and one of the better shoujo mangas I've read recently.
The hesitation to admit feelings scenario has been done to death in romance anime/manga and I feel everything just gets dragged out as the main romance couple just dance around each other for ages before actually coming together at the end. Not this manga though, and at this I thought Thank God! The characters are extremely likeable and spoiler[ I love the fact that Zen and Shirayuki are so open with one another, admit their feelings early and there's no hesitation. And because there isn't really a love rival, or I should say there are a few, but they kinda guess Zen and Shirayuki's attraction to one another and immediately give up, we get to see more of the world they live in and can actually connect with more characters. ] Really looking forward to this one and already have it written down as a must see for the summer, especially since Bones is animating it and there's a good group in charge of it. Just finished watching Blast of Tempest which I thought was a good anime so I'm really looking forward to Masahiro Ando's adaptation of this one. Just desperately waiting for more manga chapters to be released now!
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I must say...I'm liking what people are saying about the manga. Nice to see that the one thing that can annoy me in shoujo manga won't be there this time around. Laughing
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
So many awesome shojo manga getting animated. Also, so many shojo fantasy heroines where red hair is a prominent feature of the lead. There's this, Dawn of the Arcana, Akatsuki no Yona and there must be more.

You know, I feel like the most popular female/shoujo anime heronies of the 90's had twin tails/twin buns (This Fushigi Yuugi's Miaka and Sailor Moon) then in the 2000's the popular female/shoujo heronies had brown hair with maybe ribbons (Fruits Basket Touru Honda and The Meloncholy of Suzumiya Haruhi) sooooooo I guess the thing for 2010s may just end up being red hair.
GlassShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, I thought I read wrong first, I did not expect Bones to pick up a shoujo adaption because looking at their track record, the only shoujo is Ouran and that was years ago. Judging by everyone's reaction, it's a fairly unique story as far as the genre is concerned? I'm so wary of shoujo these days because most rehash the same plot. I trust Bones' fine taste though (I think the only failure they had of late in the adaption department is Soul Eater Not...but I have a feeling that was more for promotion and old time sake). Whatever the case, I wish for its commercial success, god knows Bones needs it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3