• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online II English Dub to Run on Toonami

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Good thing we didn't have a major argument. I didn't want to have go through one again. =P
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Reposting what I'd said before, I'm surprised that this is airing the week before Aniplex's big dual-coast English Dub Premiere Event that they're holding at Sakura-Con and Anime Boston on April 4th. You'd think Aniplex would require them to wait until the 4th, so that the premieres are that day.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who's gonna play Yuuki?
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will boost Toonami's ratings.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprising since they got the first season.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It's over Shippuuden's timeslot. So makes me wonder how the lineup will be. Given Shippuuden's dropping ratings and it soon entering the first filler arc, wonder if they will get rid of Deadman Wonderland and move Shippudden to that time slot? Because I don't see them moving back the other shows, especially when One Piece is in one of the most popular Arcs.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
I knew for sure Sword Art online would be on Toonami this year, though it was only a matter of when. I'm just surprised it was this soon, but it kinda makes sense since I think Gurren Lagann will end its run the week before. Getting the 1am timeslot is a little surprising, but also makes sense since the first season was what helped get Toonami those quadruple/quintuple million ratings (in total viewers, not 18-49 male) for a few weeks back in summer 2013. Some argue that having Family Guy before the block started was what made that happen and although I think it helped, having what was at the time the newest show at the back-end of premieres was arguably what made a difference.

Also, cool to see Michelle Ruff cast as Sinon. It makes sense as I think about it and I'm surprised I didn't think of her being in the dub.

SWAnimefan wrote:
It's over Shippuuden's timeslot. So makes me wonder how the lineup will be. Given Shippuuden's dropping ratings and it soon entering the first filler arc, wonder if they will get rid of Deadman Wonderland and move Shippudden to that time slot? Because I don't see them moving back the other shows, especially when One Piece is in one of the most popular Arcs.

That's assuming in the first place that between just Water 7 and Enies lobby airing, it provided enough hype for those who never got inot One Piece to be suddenly invested. Look, One Piece, unlike Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, and Inuyasha, had a botched start on U.S television with the 4Kids dub and never developed a proper pastime experience. People are always intimidated by the ever increasing high episode count with the show and not enough people new to One Piece are aware of any of the legal ways to watch it from the beginning, nor would they prioritize their time catching up on over 200 episodes worth of one show as oppose to the myriad of entertainment people would rather invest their time into instead, anime or not.

I love One Piece, I agree that Water 7 and Enies Lobby are great arcs, and thus I don't mean to act like One Piece as a show is doomed to fail. It really isn't since it's still on TV, but it seemed to make more sense in retrospect to start over a clean slate and air the Funimation dub of One Piece from the beginning instead of episode 207. This is probably why One Piece was pushed to 2:30 on the block. I mean, I checked the ratings spreadsheet on the Toonami Faithful website and between both 18-49 and total viewers, One Piece often (not all the time, but often enough) dipped more in viewership after an episode of Inuyasha: TFA or Naruto Shippuden week-to-week than any other premiere show. Other shows like Inuyasha: TFA though had the exact opposite effect where it gained viewership after an episode of Gurren Lagann since it premiered, which is rare for a show on Toonami to do that. That's why it bumped up from 2am to 1am at one point.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

Problem is that One Piece is a ratings sink, getting about three-quarters of the ratings of the previous show after the Davy Back Fights ended, though the numbers jumped back up afterwards. In other words, there seems to be a lot of people who skip One Piece by changing to a different channel, then tuning back once it ends. (According to that spreadsheet, it seems to be more complicated than that though, but definitely, One Piece is a weaker performer than Shippuden.)

One Piece is not going away though. Unlike Shippuden, One Piece is on there because the Toonami people really wanted it on there.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
[quote="leafy sea dragon"

Problem is that One Piece is a ratings sink, getting about three-quarters of the ratings of the previous show after the Davy Back Fights ended, though the numbers jumped back up afterwards. In other words, there seems to be a lot of people who skip One Piece by changing to a different channel, then tuning back once it ends. (According to that spreadsheet, it seems to be more complicated than that though, but definitely, One Piece is a weaker performer than Shippuden.)

One Piece is not going away though. Unlike Shippuden, One Piece is on there because the Toonami people really wanted it on there.[/quote]a

Well, I tend to think based on what they say of it they do enjoy Naruto too. Jason Demarco (Toonami's creator and current show runner) actually was asked his top 5 favorite Toonami shows by the Toonami Faithful Podcast and listed the original Naruto as one of his personal favorite Toonami shows along with Rurouni Kenshin (which was his personal favorite), Dragon Ball Z, IGPX and I think Gundam Wing. Of coarse that might have been a spur of the moment list since he'd once said at a con that Cowboy Bebop was his favorite, he might have been debating whether or not to count the [Adult Swim] Action series or not since that isn't the kind of thing you just leave off. He was asked both before Shippuden aired on Toonami. He did list Shippuden as a series that would be on his ideal Toonami line up before they acquired it though. That isn't to say he doesn't like One Piece too but at least he personally likes Shippuden. Of coarse mind you, him liking a series doesn't make it safe from getting dropped. Hell, remember Rurouni Kenshin was never aired on Toonami past the Kyoto arc. Bebop just got dropped (albeit most likely temporarily) 5 episodes into it's first HD run too (and that remaster was gorgeous too, shame).

Now, One Piece isn't exactly a ratings sink either, I recall them saying that as long as it get's 750,000 viewers a not it's fine. Lately it hasn't been doing that consistently though and Demarco did once say "it isn't doing as well as we'd like" so....hard to say. It's not tanking or anything is what I'm saying, but it's sure under performing.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
One Piece is not going away though. Unlike Shippuden, One Piece is on there because the Toonami people really wanted it on there.

Look, I know Shippuden is often the butt of jokes for a lot of anime fans, but that show was believe it or not once highly requested according to the Toonami crew.

PusoPimp wrote:
Now, One Piece isn't exactly a ratings sink either, I recall them saying that as long as it get's 750,000 viewers a not it's fine. Lately it hasn't been doing that consistently though and Demarco did once say "it isn't doing as well as we'd like" so....hard to say. It's not tanking or anything is what I'm saying, but it's sure under performing.

I assume you mean "a night" as oppose to, "a not" first of all. Second, as open as Jason DeMarco is about how Cable TV business works, I highly, highly, highly, highly doubt he would dare be that exact and specific about ratings numbers and when they're good or bad.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well, what I mean is that Shippuden has been doing stably in the ratings and has had quite high viewership, though I stopped keeping track a few months ago so things might have changed, and that my point is that the only reason One Piece is still on, and will continue to stay on, is because of a personal liking of the show. I don't mean that they don't like Naruto Shippuden, just that it can stand on its own.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I was curious what would replace Gurren Lagann, but I wasn't expecting this since it seems rather quick. Considering that the first season aired on Toonami last year, it is a sensible choice to get it as soon as possible. However, it took quite some time for Toonami to pick up Inuyasha: The Final Act when that was ready to go and seemed so obvious, so it's not like the obvious choice is necessarily what happens with Toonami.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Also curious why they waited for Final Act. Inyasha reruns in those very late hours seem to perform well in their time slots back in the day. And then they express surprise when Final Act ratings surpassed expectations.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Also curious why they waited for Final Act. Inyasha reruns in those very late hours seem to perform well in their time slots back in the day. And then they express surprise when Final Act ratings surpassed expectations.

Honestly, I don't understand some of their choices when it comes to continuations, like waiting about seven years after FMA ended to air the Conqueror of Shamballa or not picking up Roberta's Blood Trail after Black Lagoon finished. Continuations seem like the easy choice since the ratings are more of a known quantity than getting something new.
Snackster1001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the first season was able to get a million viewers at 2am, I think that season 2 will provide a nice boost one hour early. I'm hoping this makes viz ride the relevance and get accel world on the block while this is airing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2