• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Imagica, Cool Japan Buy Localization Company SDI Media

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is another move from Japanese companies and organizations to have more direct control over anime and manga localization. SDI Media sounds way too spread out for Imagica or Cool Japan to benefit from it though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
So what does this mean?? Confused

Is this good or bad? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know if this means the rest of Saint Seiya will be released.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
This can go either way or just stay the same, however I doubt much good will come out of this buyout unless they close offices in other countries since they are spread out way too thinly and/or focus on specific markets.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
If it means they'll produce their own dubs in SDI, then yes, it's a good news. Dubbing is the biggest cost when importing anime and SDI has a wide network of studios placed in Europe, allowing to produce several versions concurrently. Case in point - Pokemon; a lot of the show's dubs are recorded locally but mixed in SDI Media Poland at the same time, reducing the cost and allowing for more uniform experience.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So what does this mean?? Confused

Is this good or bad? Confused

Impossible to say until they start putting out products here.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone name any localizations that SDI has worked on other than Pokemon?
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
For anime? In Poland that would be also Doraemon, Bakugan, also several subtitled and VO'd anime for AXN. For other shows, they work closely with Disney (including their theatrical works like Marvel movies, SW, etc.) and Cartoon Network; also Mattel (Barbie DTV movies) and Hasbro (took over MLP and Transformers Rescue Bots, Prime was done by them for CN before that)...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@noblesse oblige
The SDI name in the article is hot linked to the ANN Encyclopedia entry on the company. That should help.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
This is for much more than just anime.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
For anime? In Poland that would be also Doraemon, Bakugan, also several subtitled and VO'd anime for AXN. For other shows, they work closely with Disney (including their theatrical works like Marvel movies, SW, etc.) and Cartoon Network; also Mattel (Barbie DTV movies) and Hasbro (took over MLP and Transformers Rescue Bots, Prime was done by them for CN before that)...

Thanks AtoMan.

@Alan45: I appreciate that, however encyclopedia entries are quite often incomplete (as seen in this instance). I appreciate how difficult it must be to maintain such a large database though.
Tetranet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The program revolves around the premise that Japan's strength in business and international affairs lies in anime, manga, films, fashion, and other fields of Japanese arts and entertainment content.

Japan's strength in business and international affairs lies in machinery, electronics and US foreign policy. The above sentence is nonsensical and embarrassing to read.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Tetranet wrote:
Quote:
The program revolves around the premise that Japan's strength in business and international affairs lies in anime, manga, films, fashion, and other fields of Japanese arts and entertainment content.

Japan's strength in business and international affairs lies in machinery, electronics and US foreign policy. The above sentence is nonsensical and embarrassing to read.

Well Japan is known for having lack of knowledge on globalization.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
@Tetranet
Nothing wrong with stating what you want to be true as current truth. This is a fairly normal ploy for such organizations. Certainly there is a potential for Japan or we wouldn't be here.

@mdo7
When your company lacks a skill set, the easiest way to get it is to buy a company that has it or hire their employees. Microsoft, Google and others have been successfully doing this for years. The hard part is learning to listen to the new employees you acquired when they offer advice. Both Kodansha and Aniplex seem to have done this successfully.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

@mdo7
When your company lacks a skill set, the easiest way to get it is to buy a company that has it or hire their employees. Microsoft, Google and others have been successfully doing this for years. The hard part is learning to listen to the new employees you acquired when they offer advice. Both Kodansha and Aniplex seem to have done this successfully.

True, but Japanese companies still "don't get/understand the US market", hence the complaint about some issues which I will not bring up on this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2