• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime Alphabet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Couple that missed the list, unless this hidden gems write up.

{Unannotated lists are generally frowned upon. ~nbahn}

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Not well shown, it's not been aired in North America market. Unfortunately being rebranded as Star Blazers 2199.

I have agree with Votoms and Orguss being on this list, those are really lost/unknown gems. I found on my own few years ago, about Orguss . I got to watch most of the series save last couple episodes for the last couple because i wasn't able to find them. Evil or Very Mad
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Say, speaking of stuff that starts with ‘I’, whatever happened to all those weird “Isshoni” videos starring a busty, pigtailed girl walking you through simple tasks? There was Isshoni Training. Isshoni Sleeping, Isshoni Doing Taxes, Isshoni Cleaning the Gutters, and Isshoni Installing a New Car Stereo, right?

there's isshoni stretching, isshoni bathing and isshohi anal sex, I think only of of those is doujin anime.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The original Orguss preferable to Orguss 02? That was nothing like the impression I got.

(notice my avatar)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Please keep in mind that listing posts are not allowed; if you see a post of yours missing, it's probably because it was a list with little or no commentary.

Then, how does this thread not compromise the "no list" rule?

The bolded part is the key. Just a list with nothing else is what's frowned on.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler--
You need to fully annotate your list.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Wrangler--
You need to fully annotate your list.

Well, y'know, we're not exactly picking them for quality to debate over...
What's to annotate?: "Yes, it absolutely starts with K!" Wink
jajuka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Y:
Yakitate! Japan
(An TV anime about bread, pretty sure you can't do that anymore.)

That is all.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't do a letter-by-letter list for anime simply because there are plenty of series I'd have problem deciding which letter to use, like should I list that one cute girls doing cute things show under "I" for Ichigo Mashimaro or "S" for Strawberry Marshmallow? Is Kimagure Orange Road a "K" show, or do I consider the title of the show to be just Orange Road, whimsically ignoring the modifier, just as I usually ignore the "Pretty Soldier" preceding Sailor Moon? And then there's Haruhi; do I file it under "M" for Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, "H" for Haruhi Suzumiya, or, do I get double-plus weeaboo* and file it under "S" for Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu?

I've just installed a new bookshelf for my expanding manga collection and, yes, I am spending much too much time thinking about which letter I should shelve everything under.

* I call myself a weeaboo quite often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
A reason why I love Xam'd is because Kylee, the singer for the ED, is from the Phoenix Metro Area. I also have even told Monica Rial on FB that I felt that her role of Haru outdid her Japanese counterpart.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
How could you NOT think Venture Bros. was the perfect choice for V cartoons?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
A list of second best alpahabet anime huh? Let me try it out:

A: I can't go with Evol so I choose Akame ga Kill. Screw the haters, that show kicked ass. A lot of choices though. Azumanga, Arpeggio, Amagi. Arakawa was okay but shaft stuff is a bit much for me
B: Baldr Force! Do ovas count? If not, Brynhildr. Man, a lot of great choices too: Beyond Boundary, Black Bullet, Bunny Drop.
C: this is conveniently C Control. Reminds me of Eden, so I like it. Plus hearing OPEN DEAL! never gets old,
D: Date A Live. Not great, but its still entertaining, and I love Tsunako's character designs.
E: Hey, I remember Eden of the East. So much so that its one of my favorite anime of all time. But since this is a list for the second choice I'll go with El Cazador de la Bruja. Anime set in Mexico be rare.
F: Future Diary! Of course that's the only F series I've watched. If ovas are cool then second choice is naturally FLCL.
G: Ga Rei Zero. I love showing the first episode to an unsuspecting audience and seeing their WTF? expressions.
H: I've got so many choices for this letter. In terms of enjoyment I choose Haganai. But if i go with quality, Hanayamata's better. Heaven's Lost Property would be my 3rd.
I: I've only seen two so... Inugami to Nekoyama ?
J: Jormungand's the only J i've seen.
K: My first choice would always be another of my favorites, K-On, so second goes to the equally cute Kiniro Mosaic.
L: Legend of Black Heaven. rocking salary-men
M: Motto To Love Ru. Better and lewder than season 1!
N: No Game No Life or Nichijou. I'm definitely buying the former when it comes out, and someone better license the latter now!
O:I got...nothing
P: Lets go with yet another of them cute shows,Place to Place. Such a relaxing series, though it can be surprisingly violent.
I got nothing for Q so R goes to Rin. Man that is one messed up show. For some reason I didn't realize just how hardcore that one was when I first saw it though.
S: So many choices! But Imma go one of my early favorites, the obscure Stratos 4. A shame Advance didn't get released here. Selector Wixoss and Speed Grapher would come next, and The War on Pants first.
T: Toradora or Tokyo Ravens? Both are solid, but the former is definitely more popular.
U: I've only seen 2 so Unbreakable Machine Doll. dat ending is catchy as hell, but it really needs a second season.
V: Vividred is the only one I've seen. Strike Witches is way better though.
W: Waiting in The Summer. Nice and summery. Plus Ichika's hot.
Got nothing for X or Z, so I'll finish up with Y. Should I go with one of the Yu-Gi-Ohs?. Nah, I'll choose Yama no Susume. For a short the art and animation is amazing. Too bad no one's licensed it.

And that Fafnir dig reminded me of something that happened at my anime club last week. Former president asked if anyone else was watching Exodus, and of course no one was. He's joking a bit, but its kind of amusing how he tries to make the others, anyone, aware of the series' existence.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
A list of second best alpahabet anime huh? Let me try it out:

E: But since this is a list for the second choice I'll go with El Cazador de la Bruja. Anime set in Mexico be rare.

G: Ga Rei Zero. I love showing the first episode to an unsuspecting audience and seeing their WTF? expressions.

Very strong soundtracks for both of these titles.
garrisonaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Don't know that I've ever thought much at all about which shows would take the #2 slot, and I haven't watched nearly enough of them to come up with an entire A-Z list. In fact, for much of the alphabet, I haven't watched even one show. For me though, #2 for letter D would go to Devil Hunter Yohko - mainly because my #1 pick is definitely Dirty Pair. Devil Hunter Yohko has a catchy story line, and some decent artistry, and unlike some of the shows I have on DVD, I can actually watch it more than once without getting tired of it.

My favourite part of the article was the word of warning Mike gave for watching Teekyū - "Be careful, though-- your brain will pack a suitcase and attempt to escape."
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to reading Mike's list and I'm glad he picked some lesser known shows. I'm really happy he picked Votoms and I completely agree with what he said. It's personally one of my favorite mecha shows of all time. Both the original Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and Macross are dated now, but I watched Votoms back in 2010 and it holds up better than the any of the aforementioned shows. Also, main protag Chirico is a rare example of a stoic badass who actually has a lot of character depth.

I gotta disagree on Witch Hunter Robin, though. That show was so slow and boring I only made it through 16 episodes. Btw, for anyone who's watched the show, there's a really dumb plot twist in episode 15 or 16 that made me drop the show. I also liked Xam'd for the same reasons, gorgeous looking art style and animation. Visually, it's the closest we may get to a modern-day Nausicaa. But yeah, the story was too uneven.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

I gotta disagree on Witch Hunter Robin, though. That show was so slow and boring I only made it through 16 episodes. Btw, for anyone who's watched the show, there's a really dumb plot twist in episode 15 or 16 that made me drop the show.

You made a wise decision. There's also those plot revelations around the midway point talking about how witches might not be all that bad which are thrown under the bus, and then the finale has some really morally jaded and dumb stuff happen along with a very minor twist that is supposed to justify the first 11 episodes but is also brushed aside easily. It's pretty painful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5