• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Update Suggestions to The Rules

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
See to me that is different. Signing your name, as a handful of users do, to me is not a "signature" in the sense of what I feel they are trying to prevent. That being the flashy gifs, obnoxious images, offensive quotes, etc. that are used when forums enable "signatures." Simply signing your name at the end of a post, arguably as it is proper discussion/letter etiquette, is not what I think most would consider a forum "signature." I mean they could technically enforce the rule to the exact letter with that but like you said considering the main man signs his name it's easy to see why they are lax on that. Same goes for your "locations." Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge comes to mind heh.

On a separate note whatever happened to picking more subscriber titles to use (over 9000, thread killer, collector, etc)? That really died overnight almost. Random thought.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
I agree with Psycho on the signatures thing. Signing your name off at the end of a post is quite different from having a seizure inducing animated gif at the end of every post. There was someone a while back who put some kind of crazy Christian propaganda at the end of all their posts. That was stamped on pretty quickly.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
If you can make the rules shorter, I'm all for it.

If they get longer... I'm unlikely to approve any changes.

And this ends my involvement in trying to rationalize ANN's rules. If we are dealing with an owner who is totally comfortable with the fact that his unpaid mods will be enforcing rules that in some cases aren't even codified any where or scattered in different forums, what can I say? I think a sloppy system like that is unfair both to the mods and the users but there is a level of managerial and customer service incompetence that I'm simply not prepared to try and rectify.

Peace out.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And this ends my involvement in trying to rationalize ANN's rules.

I am starting to feel the same, but I am not ready to give up yet.

I think that a distinction should be made between rules that are decreed by Tempest and policies that are formulated and enforced by moderators.
For example, "Thou shalt not over quote!" is a rule, and what constitutes over quoting is a policy.

I think that one of the major complaints that Blood- had was that the policies are not explained in the Rules forum, and the problem with that is that people who actually want to learn and follow the rules will look in the Rules forum, not the Feedback forum.

Would it be possible to at least have a brief notice in the Rules that directs people to go to the Feedback forum to see the policies?

I do agree with Blood-, assuming that I am right about his opinion, but I am not quite as concerned about it as he is.
Warning people about violating policies and directing them to the appropriate threads here, as is being done now, seems like it should be sufficient.

It would be a problem if a moderator comes down hard on somebody for breaking a "rule" that is not actually in the rules, but I am not aware of that happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I think that one of the major complaints that Blood- had was that the policies are not explained in the Rules forum, and the problem with that is that people who actually want to learn and follow the rules will look in the Rules forum, not the Feedback forum.

Exactly so. But it's worse than even that. Sure it's kind of ridiculous that all of ANN's rules can't be found in one place. But let me reiterate: mods are "enforcing" rules that aren't written down ANY WHERE. How absurd is that? I can surmise that there are probably some mods who aren't really comfortable with that situation and I can't blame them.

However, we are dealing with an owner who has decided that there are enough rules and if mods have to enforce policy that is not codified any where then, boo-hoo-hoo sucks to be them. Brilliant.

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
If someone would be kind enough to create a post expanding upon an issue, then I would copy it and turn it into a stickied thread.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
@ Touma, I also think that the over-quoting rule needs to be reviewed. Yes, I ran afoul of it because I had one too many quotes, but I had to have that for proper context,and my own post was long enough that it wasn't long quote and short text. Since the correction, there is no context for what I was actually replying to.

However, I can also see the need for flexiability. The site's "don't be a dick" rule is a very good one.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
@ Touma, I also think that the over-quoting rule needs to be reviewed. Yes, I ran afoul of it because I had one too many quotes, but I had to have that for proper context,and my own post was long enough that it wasn't long quote and short text. Since the correction, there is no context for what I was actually replying to.

The overquoting rule is there because you don't want to quote like 5 different person in one setting like this one for example. It can be a big eyesore hence why the over-quoting exist for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Here's my submission for the rules. I have re-organized it, cleaned it up, and combined rules that I thought were related. Anything in red lettering is a change that I'm proposing to be done that I would like people to review and give their comments on.

1. Above all else: Be Polite
    1. Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-charged, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.
    2. Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
    3. Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why. Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. Even if you think that that it's just plain common sense, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.

2. Stay on topic
    1. Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.

3. English Language Usage
    1. These forums are English-language forums. All conversation must be in English. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English.
    2. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
    3. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.

4. Post relevant, thoughtful responses; avoid lists and one-liners
    1. Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, then do not post it.
    2. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute. A more in-depth discussion about listing and one-liners can be found here.

5. Signatures are disabled; do not make "fake" signatures

6. Do not excessively quote
    1. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part. For elaboration on what constitutes as excessive quoting and how to avoid it, see here.

7. Moderation
    1. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time for any reason. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again. If you feel a thread should be locked, click on any post's red-exclamation mark icon.
    2. Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post, then please click on the red-exclamation-mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.
    3. No "Back Seat Moderating." If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.

8. Commerce
    1. No Commerce is allowed outside of either the Retail or Subscriber Personal Sales Forum. ANN's forums are not to be used to sell, buy or transfer goods or services. Users may not post their own commercial endeavors or link to commercial websites unless specifically requested by another poster. Personal websites may be linked as necessary, provided that it is requested or relevant to the discussion. Users who have been hired to advertise for specific items will be banned.
    2. Subscribers may use the Subscriber Personal Sales Forum to sell their personal property (see rules here).
    3. Commerce in the Retail Forum is limited to commercial websites only. Individuals seeking to sell items in the regular Retail Forum are not permitted. Links to online auctions are not permitted in the regular retail forum. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #9 will be removed and their URLs banned.

9. No bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, etc.
    1. Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.
    2. This forum has banned a number of URLs to known bootlegging websites. If a user posts an URL that displays as [This URL is a Known Bootlegging website], or a similar warning message, the user may not evade the censor. Users that evade the censor may be punished.

10. Use the search engine and read the site
    1. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads on in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
    2. Do not make threads or posts requesting when an anime is going to get another season, license, dub, etc. If there's any kind of official news in regards to additional anime seasons, licenses, dubs, etc. ANN will be sure to report it. Use the Encyclopedia and search engine to see if any official announcements or news were made on the subject. Further discussion on speculations can be found here.

11. No necroposting except where allowed
    1. Necroposting is the act of resurrecting very old threads. Threads in the Talkback Forums have 2 months of shelf life from the date the article was made. All other threads have 12 months of shelf life from the date of the last post made.

(willag's Note: Should we go from 2 months since the last post or 2 months since the article was made? The pop-ups a person gets when they are about to make a comment are in regards to when the original article was made).

2. Exceptions to the necroposting rule are Official Review threads in the Talkback Forum, recommendation threads in the Anime Forum, and dedicated series threads in the Anime Forum. Those threads do not time out. Further discussion on necroposting can be found here.

12. Spoiler tags
    1. When discussing spoilers about a series in threads not dedicated to the series, put spoiler tags around the spoilerific information (i.e. important plot points, character deaths, etc). Leave the name of the series being discussed outside of the spoiler tags so that people know what series you are providing spoilers for.
    2. Spoiler tags are not required in Official Review threads in the Talkback forum, Daily Streaming Review threads in the Talkback Forum, and dedicated series threads in the Anime Forum for the specific media being discussed. Spoilers for plot points that have yet to occur require spoiler tags with a note outside of the spoiler tags about where the spoilers come from.
      • Example 1: Spoilers for volume 12 of an Official Manga Review for volume 11 require spoiler tags with a note that the spoiler is for volume 12.
      • Example 2: Spoilers for material in the manga that hasn't yet occurred in the anime adaptation require spoiler tags in the dedicated series threads with a note that the spoiler is in regards to the manga.

13. What to do if you've been banned.

Disclaimer: All posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, not Anime News Network. Additionally, statements by Anime News Network staff on this forum are personal opinions and may not reflect the views of Anime News Network as a whole. (willag's Note: Honestly, this sounds more like a disclaimer than a rule to me and I propose that it be moved out of the numbered rules (it was originally rule #11)).

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:10 pm; edited 9 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 provides (in my opinion, anyway) a good explanation of how to appropriately use spoiler tags.
Also:
  • 7a's last sentence should include at the end: "and provide details/rationale in the comment box."
  • I believe that the 2-month rule should start from the last posting. (I'll try to get Key's opinion.)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

However, I can also see the need for flexiability. The site's "don't be a dick" rule is a very good one.

Well we just updated the over-quoting rule and went through a big ordeal with it. So what you see is what you get on that one I wager. And there are ways to avoid over quoting while keeping the material for context. Copy and paste works. Turn it into one bigger quote. Turn each point you're responding to into it's own quote and respond to each one individually within your one post. All of this is outlined in the over quoting thread by the way. Not trying to be a dick with this but there are ways around it and they are in the over quoting thread. A thread that you should have gotten a link to in the offending post with the mod edit and the PM you should have received as well. Don't know what else to tell you on that one.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Since the issue of fake signatures has been raised I would like to see a thread here explaining what that means.
I am unsure about it.
Some people seems to think that it involves misuse of the "Location" field in the user profile.

Another, relatively low priority, suggestion for future consideration would be a thread about image etiquette.
This could give guidelines for size, quantity, appropriateness, etc.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With the exception of the Talkback forum

This needs to be more specific. Not all threads in the Talkback are exempt unless I am mistaken. Columns, Reviews, and series discussion pieces are exempt yes, but not Interest pieces, Advertorials, and not all News pieces. Those are case by case right? That was what Zac told us. I just want to be clear so if something is a case by case judgment and CAN be locked if needed users can't come and then say well it's a Talkback thread so it's automatically exempt no matter what.

I also agree there needs to be a rule on spoilers. Those have consistently been a problem over the years and users have been yelled at for repeatedly not using them.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've put some language to the proposed Spoiler rule. (It's a little long though). And I've modified the Necroposting rule a little.

Also, to shrink the rules so that the list doesn't appear as long, the text size can be changed. I think with the way the rules are currently set-up, having everything squished together in longer paragraphs makes for more difficult reading. A big, bolded heading captures eyes more; a quick summary of the rules within that bolded heading is even better when possible.

Exceptions to Necroposting rules are detailed in 11b, Psycho. If there are other exceptions, then they need to be included.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Willag, for the spoiler tag rule. That's pretty confusing to me and hard for me to remember (and I can't memorize specific parts), no offense. But I always put spoiler tags no matter what thread it is (review, episode review, etc...). Better to be safe then sorry I will say.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8