• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - The Disastrous Premiere of Tokyo Godfathers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
When are you going to bring back the wtf that was Ikurara and the premiere of the Utena movie?

[...or, for that matter, the original NY theatrical premiere *of* Perfect Blue?]

I moved to NYC the weekend Perfect Blue opened at Cinema Village, so I wasn't there for the premiere.

I was at the Utena movie premiere (you're talking about the one at Japan Society, right?), but honestly don't have any memory of the event. Later, far weirder one-on-one interactions with Ikuhara would eclipse any memory of that.

Somehow I doubt either one is dramatic enough to get an article-length story out of.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
At least the projectionist leisurely enjoyed his coffee in the midst of Anonymous-kun's near-mental breakdown
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what happened to that projectionist after this incident. I imagine he got in a lot of trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Oof. My skin crawls for you. But I hope there's more stories like this. Amazing logo btw.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been to many film screenings where the director is attendance and it's generally very common for them to get visibly irritated when there are technical fuckups of any kind of nature. It doesn't matter if they are actually nice people; nothing, NOTHING pisses a director off more than botched screening of their films.

Funny enough, technical fuckups always seem to only happen when the director is in attendance, from my experience.
Herron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Justin that sucks with what happened at your screening!!

As a projectionist for 6 years(and management for 4 after, being promoted) I can say he was highly unprofessional (and I've worked with a few like him). When I built movies I removed any cues not combatible with our system and put on correct cues.

But EVEN STILL, if we learned that there were cues that were throwing of our programmed cues, we could run a film manually and bypass the cues, which he should have done after learning the cues were off. Which means he should be in the booth keeping an eye on the film.

And a movie can certainly be "rewound" on a platter system. For twenty minutes it would be an easy center drop. If you know what your doing its easy anyway, if not a possible pain in the butt. But as a projectionist its your job to make that presentation as flawless as can be and the customer happy.

Edit to explain a center drop: just in case its not clear a center drop consist of taking the part of the film that's already played from the receiving platter and dropping it back in place on the original platter. It takes a bit of finesse to do and not royally screw up, but its not hard if you know what your doing. Though there's a limit with how much film can be picked up and dropped back in.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros, bahamut623 & Herron--

I'm fairly sure that Justin Sevakis did not write this column. Reread the column; he's not specifically mentioned as the writer.

Whoever the writer is, he certainly has my sympathy.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Xristophoros, bahamut623 & Herron--

I'm fairly sure that Justin Sevakis did not write this column. Reread the column; he's not specifically mentioned as the writer.

Whoever the writer is, he certainly has my sympathy.

From the front page of the site:

"Justin recounts what should have been the highlight of his career -- hosting a world premiere with Satoshi Kon that went ridiculously sour."
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
^
I respectfully -- to say nothing of humbly -- direct your attention to the byline; or, to be more precise, the lack thereof. The 1st column had such a byline. This one doesn't.

EDIT: Then again, maybe I am wrong:
Quote:
Justin recounts what should have been the highlight of his career -- hosting a world premiere with Satoshi Kon that went ridiculously sour.

Oops.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Didn't all of Kon's films until Paprika have awful premieres? Maybe not as bad as this, I remember you talking about on ANNcast once, and also how about Perfect Blue looked pretty bad projected.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty entertaining read. I'll be coming back to this column for sure.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Justin, you have my sympathies.

I was there that night, seated near the back of the theater. I only knew Satoshi Kon was in attendance. I had no idea---until today---that a number of high-level executives were also there.

And that '02 AXNY/BAAF 'marriage' was, uh, incredibly odd. I'd love to hear the stories behind that one. But I will always remember that it gave me and my friends a chance to chat up Akitaro Daichi; who was super chill and amiable. Plus, the Cowboy Bebop creative team of Yoko Kanno, Shinichiro Watanabe and Toshihiro Kawamoto were also a treat.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dreamworks had replaced his artwork with their own, obviously American-drawn, imagery, and he was simply not OK with it. “That's not Chiyoko,” he said.
I HATE it when this crap happens. Props to Satoshi Kon for putting his foot down. I miss him. All his works were a masterpiece. I'm still upset he refused treatment as well. We were blessed to have lived in the same time as him
Saturn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ugh just reading that stressed me out, I can't imagine living it!
wolfy2005

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I was there that night too! I was 15 and it was my first big three day convention. Middle section on the end in the back right half. I remember the movie stopping multiple times but not caring because I loved it so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5