• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Steve Blum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Steve Blum is still a rock star in the anime community (not sure about his video game work)

He has done some memorable video game roles... My favourite was the Thugs-4-Less leader in ratchet and Clank. Check out a list of his works, you've probably heard him in something and not known that it was him.

You're right! Anime hyper My brother and I loved playing Ratchet & Clank growing up (can't wait for the film) but I had no clue that Thugs 4 Less was Blum. Since I don't play video games, it's pretty amazing that Blum has a wider vocal range than I'm used too outside of his animation work like Legend of Korra or Gurren Lagann.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Great interview, one of the best, my favorite VA as well.

Also that story he gave about that one con experience was touching as hell.

As for the other one, I'm glad we're finally "mostly" passed it with dubs finally getting their respect for a decent while now (for the most part).

penguintruth wrote:
Steve Blum is a voice acting super star, and with good reason: not only does he have that fantastic deep, but smooth voice that reverberates, but he's a master of his craft, injecting a lot of great personality and arresting presence in every character he portrays. And yet he also seems humble and extremely grateful for the opportunities he's been afforded and his fans. I cannot praise this guy enough, he's one of the best.

This.

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I got to get his autograph a couple years ago and it was awesome. Sat in on his Q&A beforehand when he talked about wanting Toonami back and how excited he was that so many people supported the return (this was like a week after the April Fools airing by CN). Steve Blum is my favorite voice actor in the industry and his work doesn't disappoint.

Awesome. That sounds like it would have been a great Q&A to hear him talk about hoping for a possible return of Toonami since it was great reading about how active and enthusiastic he was around that time when Toonami did the April Fools event and as that fan response build up to the eventual return began. Smile
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Someone, please tell me what you think of this idea: Do you think Steve has the type of voice that would be ideal for dubbing a Tosa Inu in an anime (That's what my avatar is and it is the largest Japanese dog breed)?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't even know about what the fandom was like back then. Glad I wasn't around then.

Anyway, great interview. It makes me really happy to see someone who's so grateful for their status. Combine that with how talented he is as a voice actor and I'd say there's no doubt in my mind that he deserves the praise he gets.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching strictly sub for the past 11 or so years but before I did, I watched the dubbed Cowboy Bebop version. Safe to say I fell in love with Spike Speigel (#husbando) and to this day I can't watch the sub version of that title. All thanks to Steve Blum Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
And Final Fantasy 12 as Ba`Gamnan

The fact that he voiced Baggy and Guilmon (as well as the Piney Apple in .hack) impressed me with how he changed his voice to become so reptilian for Baggy and so cute for Guilmon (definitely a step above Nozawa's performance who unfortunately made Guilmon sound like an old lady). It still astonishes me that he's able to do that and it astonished me even more when I first discovered he did both roles. The role that impressed my friend was Blum voicing Grunt in Mass Effect 2. He said he had no idea that was him when he first saw the game's TV ad.

The first time I heard Steve Blum's ever was as BlackWarGreymon, probably the coolest anime character dubbed in English on TV at the time (when the Digimon fad was growing in popularity). Ever since then, I've been following his voice and I never get tired of what he does in anime and games. I hope he gets a role in a Tales game someday because it would be awesome.

On a related note, I got to see him in person at AX 2007, but I was too nervous at the sound of my voice to even attempt the "Adventures in Voice Acting" tryout panel he was hosting with Vic Mignogna and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. At least I got their picture. =D
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I was completely shocked by his response with the dub vs. subs question. I can't believe people were so crazy about it that they actually threatened his family! (The dub/sub debate still isn't that great, but at least it's better than what he went through back then.) Glad he was able to go back to cons even if it took 10 years. I hope to meet him one day. He sounds like a swell guy. I also loved his story about the father with the autistic son. Very amazing.

Loved this interview. Thank you ANN!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I was completely shocked by his response with the dub vs. subs question. I can't believe people were so crazy about it that they actually threatened his family! (The dub/sub debate still isn't that great, but at least it's better than what he went through back then.) Glad he was able to go back to cons even if it took 10 years. I hope to meet him one day. He sounds like a swell guy. I also loved his story about the father with the autistic son. Very amazing.

Loved this interview. Thank you ANN!

Threatening a family over something like dubs/subs is ridiculous. I actually heard about the autistic story listening to a YT video of a fall '09 con panel Steve was at.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
He has done some memorable video game roles, one of the most notable was Ares in God of War. My favourite was the Thugs-4-Less leader in ratchet and Clank. Check out a list of his works, you've probably heard him in something and not known that it was him.

From the Encyclopedia: "(2012-06-05) Awarded the Guinness World Record for Most Prolific Video Game Voice Actor (261 roles)"

So it's no wonder that he often goes unrecognized - you don't get that many roles if you can only do 3 or 4 voices. If everyone had that kind of versatiity and range, there'd be fewer complaints about hearing the same actors in every dub. Wink

Great interview!
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I was completely shocked by his response with the dub vs. subs question.

Thats not what shocked me, its that he didn't watch Bebop until a few years ago. Its a little odd considering how big the role is for him, but I guess some actors are like that.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Great interview, and Steve seems like an awesome, chill guy, and a hell of a voice actor too. He seems like he really cares about the fans and genuinely enjoys what he does. He's got a lot of wisdom. Would love to meet him!

Also, god DAMN some fans can be nasty. Who the hell goes to someone's house and threatens them because they dubbed a foreign cartoon into English? They needed to a life, seriously. First world problems to the max!
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I can't believe people were so crazy about it that they actually threatened his family!

That must have been the early birth of the weeaboo Japanophile sushi chokers; good thing they're still a minor if not entirely pathetic sub species of bacteria that affect nor concern anyone.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
On a related note, I got to see him in person at AX 2007, but I was too nervous at the sound of my voice to even attempt the "Adventures in Voice Acting" tryout panel he was hosting with Vic Mignogna and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

At least I got their picture. =D

I could totally understand that, all three of them are so good. Very Happy

Nice!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
That must have been the early birth of the weeaboo Japanophile sushi chokers; good thing they're still a minor if not entirely pathetic sub species of bacteria that affect nor concern anyone.

Insults aside, there are people, now, in the fan community that are just as "pathetic" as this, both in the US and abroad. I'm sure we've all read the stories on ANN where fans stalk certain singers and seiyuu for all sorts of reasons, not to mentions the ones that take pride in taking photos of them with significant others, only to report these photos so that said famous person runs the risk of losing their career.

In regards to anime, things were quite a bit different in the 1990s. I remember sending blank VHS tapes or sending cash in the mail to fansubbers who would then send you nth copied fansub tapes of whatever you wanted. I think the animosity over "killing the industry" was because those companies, like Pioneer, that legally released anime were selling VHS tapes for $40 for 4 episodes (much like Aniplex does now). Fansubbers usually sold theirs for about $5-$10 for 6 episodes, and many of them had this mentality that they were not out to make a profit. And, similar to fansubbers now, many of those who sold fansubs did it because they 1) Knew that it would never be legally available in the US or 2) Would be released years down the road.

I'm not trying to defend the actions of those that would threaten anyone, especially over something as silly as entertainment, but I'm just trying to provide some context for those of you who weren't around then. While the dub/sub debate will probably always exist in some form, I think most people don't really care any more.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
For original animation, I would say the biggest challenge for me is just getting there, because traffic's so terrible in L.A.

Amen. We don't have the most jammed traffic in the world, or even the country (it gets pretty bad in Hololulu and Boston), but we definitely have the rudest.

and considering how anime dubbing was back in the 80s and 90's its a big improvement . though he definitely nailed some roles back then. one is garra for the bastard ovas and of course guts for the beserk tv series which was why he was chosen to reprise his role for the movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4