• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds The Testament of Sister New Devil, My Monster Secret Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Fab licenses from Seven Seas as always. Currently reading both and they're both great series, the art for Shinmai is utterly gorgeous. A long time to wait for them though. Hopefully Yen Press can pickup the Shinmai LNs in the meantime.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Been reading the scanlations of Jitsu wa Watashi wa/My Monster Secret and liking it quite a lot, definitely picking up the Seven Seas volumes as they come...

Now, if anyone from Seven Seas by chance reads this, and as monster girls are their forte, may I suggest Nekomusume Michikusa Nikki.
Definitely a one-of-a-kind series, and definitely up your alley, Seven Seas Wink ...
904thehero1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
jitsu wa Watashi wa getting licensed made my day. Now I just need to wait for the release of this and the anime.

It is weird though since Seven seas do not really license long running series, since this is a weekly series with over 100 chapters. I cannot really think of any series, other then Freezing which they got back a few months ago, that is long running. Most series end with a few volumes.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
904thehero1 wrote:
jitsu wa Watashi wa getting licensed made my day. Now I just need to wait for the release of this and the anime.

It is weird though since Seven seas do not really license long running series, since this is a weekly series with over 100 chapters. I cannot really think of any series, other then Freezing which they got back a few months ago, that is long running. Most series end with a few volumes.

Truth be told (hah!), we had been looking at this series for some time. So the 10+ volume guideline was something we saw coming up, but still decided to pull the trigger on. The anime announcement was great news, obviously, though we hadn't known about that until after our acquisition.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
904thehero1 wrote:

Dance in the Vampire Bund is over 100 chapters once you include the side stories as is Witch Buster so it's not unheard of for them, as they've said on their tumblr in the past they're not averse to long running series but it has to be what they feel is the right title.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Any reason you chose to go with a more direct/blunt localization for the Jitsu wa Watashi wa... title rather than something more vague in the spirit of the original title? Personally, I was originally drawn to the series because of the ambiguous title (and the cover for volume 1).

Either way, super pumped to see it picked up, it's one of my favorite series to read right now and I will definitely be picking up the English volumes Very Happy

Since Seven Seas is lurking here anyway, I'm curious if there are any plans to break into the light novel side? As a consumer, I would love to see more titles getting the English treatment, and Yen Press seems to be doing quite well lately on that front.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Eiji Masuda's My Monster Secret (Jitsu wa Watashi wa) manga.

That's the name Seven Seas chose? Really? When I think to myself My Monster Secret with the word 'manga' I get the image of dōjins (and not the All-Ages ones).

I think that the literal translation of the Japanese title would've been better (Actually, I'm...).
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Any reason you chose to go with a more direct/blunt localization for the Jitsu wa Watashi wa... title rather than something more vague in the spirit of the original title? Personally, I was originally drawn to the series because of the ambiguous title (and the cover for volume 1).

Either way, super pumped to see it picked up, it's one of my favorite series to read right now and I will definitely be picking up the English volumes Very Happy

Since Seven Seas is lurking here anyway, I'm curious if there are any plans to break into the light novel side? As a consumer, I would love to see more titles getting the English treatment, and Yen Press seems to be doing quite well lately on that front.

Hameyadea wrote:
ANN wrote:
Eiji Masuda's My Monster Secret (Jitsu wa Watashi wa) manga.

That's the name Seven Seas chose? Really? When I think to myself My Monster Secret with the word 'manga' I get the image of dōjins (and not the All-Ages ones).

I think that the literal translation of the Japanese title would've been better (Actually, I'm...).

We briefly touched upon this over on Twitter, but forums and such platforms are a bit better to jot down our thoughts.

So this was something that we had discussed for a while, and it was quite heated. We had good/bad points with each title, and we all took it very seriously. Changing/altering a title is never something we do without purpose and we don't take it lightly.

All aspects are considered, but ultimately it will come down to our audience and the market. With a title like, "The Truth Is, I Am..." or "Actually, I'm..." we felt it was simply far too vague and would attract a fraction of potential readers with something a bit more enticing. That isn't to say we simply dismiss the original title and the intentions of the author.

With a title like "My Monster Secret," factors such as booksellers, the wider audience, and where it'll even be stocked, are things we have to discuss and consider. A few of our readers over the months had even asked us about the manga, to which we proposed, "We've heard of it; but how would you translate to the title so that it would market properly?" or thereabouts. I love the title, both the original and ours. I feel that the message in our title also conveys the message of the author and the manga, without blurring the lines too much.

It's always a tough choice, but sometimes you have to stick with it and hope for the best. And of course, we hope that even if some don't like the title, that they would still at least not judge a book by its cover (or title, rather). Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
It took me a minute, but when I read the description I thought Oh! THAT manga!. With such a vague title in Japanese, it's hard to get a handle on it. Congrats to Seven Seas for picking up a hot new title that's about to get an anime, and I hope its English title really helps it get some attention!
DjAlmostFive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
So happy that "Jitsu wa watashi wa..." is getting licensed Very Happy
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Well both really dont look like worth picking up maybe ill look into My Monster Secert if I dont for get about it in a year

Sill wait for someone to pick Majo no Shinzou
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the announcement of My Mobster Secret's anime, I was really intrigued by the artwork. The premise doesn't really say very much though so I think I'll need to do more research before I consider picking it up.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
We briefly touched upon this over on Twitter, but forums and such platforms are a bit better to jot down our thoughts.

Oh come on, you could have easily condensed that into 140 characters ;P

Thanks for sharing the process you used to get to "My Monster Secret." While I don't particularly like it, I do see the marketing problem that the original title presents, so I suppose I will just have to mentally grumble about it whenever I pick up a new volume Smile
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I was actually thinking about this the other day, someone picking up material for Testament of a Sister New Devil. Glad they jumped on it! Now if only they got the Light Novels too.

Great pick up regardless. Thanks Seven Seas!
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Very much looking forward to The Testament of Sister New Devil manga. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2