• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Business Minded

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Even Aniplex prices. Yes they are high compared to the rest don't get me wrong, I won't deny that for a second. But compared to the late 90's and early 2000's with single dvd releases going for $25-$30 a pop for 3-4 episodes of a normal dvd release (not BR) it's still cheaper in most cases.

I have to disagree. Most titles seeing individual releases are the same or more expensive. MSRP for most titles in the early 00's went for $30 averaging about $7.5 - $10 per episode. For Aniplex, their titles tend to start at $10 per episode.
I'll agree that their releases that are DVD only season sets are less (numbers don't lie after all), but personally I think that how DVDs were the premium / preferred / current / primary format 15 years ago, BDs are the primary format these days so anything that is DVD only, should be cheaper as that's essentially the discount / low end option.

Looking at it with per episode prices, it's definitely not as bad as it may appear, but it's still towards the high end for (imo) a comparable release. They have gotten better though, just not enough to keep them from being an outlier.

I've been collecting for years and have plenty of individual release from any series that was releasing back then, and I was very happy to see collections / season sets become the norm. Shelf space alone is reason enough to appreciate it. I'm not really interested in seeing the market go back to that.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
I just can't see anime booming again like what happened in the 90's, due to what anime is being put out, while it's doing fine when it comes to profit, quality and variety are slowly declining due to various factors such as not adapting riskier material, the advent of mobile game adaptations, and a lack of a push for independently created anime.

Paiprince wrote:
Eh, I used to subscribe to the tried and true mantra of what's new is crap back in the day too, but after watching lots of series spanning from the 60's to today, I came to realized that anime has always been what it is: a myriad of flavors that won't please everyone. The only difference was its boom occurred internationally during the Western animation ghetto age thus was regarded as a novelty which soon wore off.

Nope. You're both wrong.

Anime is in a pretty good place right now. The best it has been in since the late 90s. I'd argue we're by no means there just yet because there still isn't much going on in film but as far as TV shows go we're pretty comparable. We've seen an absolute glut of diverse and inventive shows the last couple years or so. If you can't see that you really need to take off the nostalgia goggles. That or stop focusing purely on the negative. Anime still manages to hit some astounding lows these days but there has always been crap and it has never really mattered.

That said, clearly anime doesn't exist in a vacuum. Especially being the niche industry that it is, financial considerations matter immensely. We're in a really good place right now largely because we're in a boom period. Prior to that, in the late 00s and very early 10s, we weren't. And as a result we didn't see a lot of diversity or creativity in the industry. There were exceptions of course. But no, anime has not "always been what it is". That's every bit as silly and reductive as the "everything sucks now" mentality.

Hey, I was just being realistic. If you think anime right now is going through the golden age, then that's fine by me, but in my opinion the medium has always ridden on fads based on successful cases just like most entertainment. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
If you think anime right now is going through the golden age, then that's fine by me, but in my opinion the medium has always ridden on fads based on successful cases just like most entertainment. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

We're in a golden age right now, and that is a fact. Anime may not have broken back out into the public consciousness and dubs aren't as common as they used to be. But that sort of success was more symptomatic of a bubble instead of a golden age. All the data makes it clear that things are very rosy right now, but I know it even from my own first-hand experiences. I've lost count at how many teenage boys with whom I'm acquainted are currently into anime. Huge hits like Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail made them aware of anime, and many of them have kept on going and now also watch less mainstream titles. While they don't buy physical releases - online is good enough for them - this new source of lifeblood is important to the industry. When they get older and have more disposable income they could well start with purchasing merchandise. And not to speak like an old-timer, but the huge number of young people I see at cons is very heartwarming.

The anime community is vibrant and growing once more, the industry is profitable and stable, and the fandom has more shows available to view (either free or just pennies per episode) than they could ever consume. That's a golden age by any stretch of the imagination.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
DillMan wrote:
Are there ever Japanese releases that feature English subtitles?

This thread from WTK in the retail forum is the origin of the Google Docs spreadsheet that ThisJustThis linked to.

WTK also has threads for UK and Australia releases that have not been licensed in North America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
One thing's for sure, we have WAY too much anime right now.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I found this, it's not the 80's but the 1994 anime year in Japan.

It also contains hentai entries on the list so NSFW

http://i.imgur.com/66dsfNJ.jpg

The selection of TV anime is abysmal in variety and definitely quantity compared to today, I can't even imagine having a season today with less than 10 TV anime available to watch. There are a lot of OVAs on that list but I'm not surprised at that.

this list is fascinating. I hadn't really ever thought about these particular shows all being released at the same time. Also, damn, 94 was the year of yaoi, huh?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

You really think so? If that's the case, then why do you think that way? (In short, please justify your reasoning.)
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

How can there be too much?
If there is more than you want to watch then you can simply not watch all of it.
If there is not as much as you want to watch there is really nothing that you can do about that.

I think that it is better to have "too much" than not enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I found this, it's not the 80's but the 1994 anime year in Japan.

It also contains hentai entries on the list so NSFW

http://i.imgur.com/66dsfNJ.jpg

The selection of TV anime is abysmal in variety and definitely quantity compared to today, I can't even imagine having a season today with less than 10 TV anime available to watch. There are a lot of OVAs on that list but I'm not surprised at that.

There was definitely a surplus of more movies/OVAs back then.

Oh, and 1994 was a surprisingly good year for hentai! Not, uh, that I would know...I mean...*trails off awkwardly and whistles*
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:

How can there be too much?
If there is more than you want to watch then you can simply not watch all of it.
If there is not as much as you want to watch there is really nothing that you can do about that.

I think that it is better to have "too much" than not enough.

It's really objective what I mean when I say "too much", but the fact is that there is a lot of anime going around each season. It is hard for someone like me to keep up with the sheer amount of anime each season. I'm trying to keep up with the current season, and then the next season comes along with even more anime when I haven't even finished what I wanted to finish from the last season. I don't want to cut them out because I genuinely want to watch them, but i also don't want to be left behind from the season that is currently airing. It's like this every season, and now I have a huge stockpile of anime I want to watch, but don't have the time to watch. So, it differs from person to person, but in my opinion, we could have half the amount of anime airing per season and everybody would be fine.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Even Aniplex prices. Yes they are high compared to the rest don't get me wrong, I won't deny that for a second. But compared to the late 90's and early 2000's with single dvd releases going for $25-$30 a pop for 3-4 episodes of a normal dvd release (not BR) it's still cheaper in most cases.

Covnam wrote:
I have to disagree. Most titles seeing individual releases are the same or more expensive. MSRP for most titles in the early 00's went for $30 averaging about $7.5 - $10 per episode. For Aniplex, their titles tend to start at $10 per episode.
But if you factor inflation into the mix, the difference between current AoA pricing and early 00s pricing almost disappears, and AoA even comes out cheaper in some cases. $7.50 - $10.00 in 2000$ = $10.18 - $13.57 in 2015$, and $7.50 - $10.00 in 2005$ = $8.97 - $11.97 in 2015$.

Though there were some occasional 5-episode discs back in those days, meaning that the 2000 range could start at $8.14 in 2015$, and the 2005 range at $7.18.
TJR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Currently, there's a worldwide tech bubble spurred on by the rapid adoption of smartphones and tablets. Investors are pumping crazy money into everything (tech booms are nothing new, but I suppose a distinguishing factor is the aggressive investment in regions like Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar), and video streaming has been among the areas of interest.

It wouldn't surprise me if anime is simply riding along the big wave.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if anime is simply riding along the big wave.

Nnnno.

Me, I remember when, during the disk bubble, ANN would, on policy, refuse any discussion of digisubs, because they "promoted piracy".
Even for what became known as the "casual pirate", those otherwise law-abiding anime fans who only watched digisubs of new series the moment they hit the Internet fan ether, and then bought them responsibly when they hit disk, because they were higher quality and had dubs.
Crunchyroll was literally a dirty word, because they were airing "pirate" subs, letting viewers gain more exposure to series.

During the disk bubble, a villain had to be found, so the industry conjured up the image that ANY fan who was watching anime in less-than-legitimate digital form was some evil hacker otaku who surfed the pirate-torrent sites, hoarding it on disk and chuckling over his cleverness at saving $29.95 for three episodes.
Instead, Crunchyroll simulcasts went legitimate shortly after the disk companies' bubble popped, and what used to be known as the "casual pirate" became the new model for the industry: Watch it first while it's happening, buy it afterwards when it's licensed. Even otherwise casual and responsible digisub sites like AnimeSuki had to go out of business, simply because there were no more new series that CR and Funi hadn't licensed for simulcast.
All it took was to hitch the cart to a licensed money horse. As it turned out, it saved a lot of time and expense, wasting less physical expenses on selling an unknown product to an untested audience.

...That's okay. Even though we had it figured out all along, the rest of you folks can apologize later. Razz
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

It's really objective what I mean when I say "too much", but the fact is that there is a lot of anime going around each season. It is hard for someone like me to keep up with the sheer amount of anime each season. I'm trying to keep up with the current season, and then the next season comes along with even more anime when I haven't even finished what I wanted to finish from the last season. I don't want to cut them out because I genuinely want to watch them, but i also don't want to be left behind from the season that is currently airing. It's like this every season, and now I have a huge stockpile of anime I want to watch, but don't have the time to watch. So, it differs from person to person, but in my opinion, we could have half the amount of anime airing per season and everybody would be fine.

Just how much anime are you watching that you can't finish them before the next season starts? I mean, there's a weekly schedule! The shows end before the next season even starts. There's even like a week where only a couple of shows finish wrapping up before the new batch starts airing, with the season not even coming in at full force until the next or two weeks.
I could understand if it was like Netflix where they release the whole thing at once, but you just have to keep up with a 20-minute episode each week.

However, a good argument comes up about too many shows coming out when you take into account the way they make money in Japan. If there's too many good shows and people can only support a few, it means some get left out.
Japan needs to solve their way of making profits, but that's a really hard thing to do.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I can understand some people saying that their is too much Anime now a days, it's hard to keep up with what 25 plus shows every 3 months.

Next season alone I already plan on watching 10 shows maybe even more if someone shows me a program I might have over looked and I like it. It hasn't been since summer 2010 that I had as many shows on my watch list and I average 6 or more a season.

And with me working more than ever, people like me with busy schedules just don't have the time to watch week to week for some shows. I have all of Durarara X2 all 8 episodes I got to marathon or I'll never catch up on it.

Certain shows I can't wait for the next episode while others I'll let build up.

But it's gotten so bad that all the physical media I own for Anime I rarely have time to re-watch anything much less the newer titles I purchased.

One of the only reasons I'm able to consume the amount of Anime that I do is only because I rarely watch television anymore except for a show or two on occasion
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6