• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seraph of the End (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
awesome first episode!
spoiler[ blood bath scene kinda reminded me of akame ga kill pilot ]
Justaway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
See, this is why you just don't do some things. You don't show a picture of your family to an army buddy and you don't talk about how you'll be together with your family even in desperate situations.

All in all, I look forward to the next episode. MC looks to be the standard Avenger archetype. The final scene was a rather nice moment, though I'd chalk it up to just him being emotional at the time. I'd place my bets on him remaining the brooding loner as is the archetype, afraid to get close to anyone ever again lest he remain alone once more.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Just thought about this but is this anime going by traditional vampire lore or does it have it's own rules on how they work?

I'm certain spoiler[Ferid] isn't dead since I can see him being an antagonist that drives the MC and getting shot in the head shouldn't effect a vampire.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Wow! I've got the same feeling from those ~25 minutes as I did with Attack on Titans first episode. Though there do seem to be a few similarities between the two shows.

I'd like to find out more about this Vampire race and if they follow traditional lore; Sunlight, Garlic, Stakes, etc. Hopefully they'll explain later on.

The ending was definitely for shock value but I must say that the soundtrack sounds fantastic so far, especially the eriee wind blowing during the credits.

Where's Wesley Snipes when you need him?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Where's Wesley Snipes when you need him?

Wasn't he jailed for tax evasion or something?
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Judging from what I've read, I'm pretty sure the vampires don't follow traditional vampire lore. Aside from the whole blood thing...

I thought the first episode was nicely done. But in reality this episode is really more of a episode 0 or a prelude. It really is just backstory for what comes later. I'm looking forward for the rest of the season.

For those wondering about if it has yaoi, it doesn't really have action. But if it follows the manga, there are yaoi and yuri jokes. But we'll have to wait and see what they decide to include in the anime.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
The premise is absolutely stupid. There is no way how this absurd "virus kills everyone older than 13" is even remotely feasible.

If authors are fundamentally ignorant, they should not use words and concepts they do not know and understand.

Call it a "mystic magical curse", and be done with it; do not come with this ridiculous "virus" BS.

Axiom of magic works much better than intelligence-insulting attempts to make a "sci-fi" reasoning. If you can not do a proper, feasible sci-fi element of the story, do a fantasy explanation. Sci-fi requires very good understanding of science, and most authors fail at that, alas.

Boys speak with teenager voices depicted to be only half as tall as adult "vampires". Either:

1) the boys have serious medical condition of growth deficiency (maybe genetic),

2) or they have hormonal issues (probably due to tumours) that made them sexually mature too early,

3) or -- more realistic version -- the leading voices are a miscast; the boys should be voiced by actual children or by women (which is much more often in the industry),

4) mistake by character designers who have made the boys a whole head shorter than they should look, basing on their voices.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
So your answer is #4 -- with this picture you are showing that the boys had to be this big head taller than how they ended up being depicted? Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
I also have the thought that the immortal vampires who live in non Japanese styled buildings, may not be Japanese themselves, which could make them taller than the other characters. Although it does not feel like an important fact to try and justify. We knew they were 12 from their dialogue.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
If you can not do a proper, feasible sci-fi element of the story, do a fantasy explanation.

I can't say I agree with that complaint regarding this show. Everything else about the setting is completely fantastical to begin with, so magic, which could easily include magical viruses, is already clearly in play, not to mention the villains are the ones who claimed it was a virus and don't exactly seem to be trustworthy.

Even so, to me it was still the least interesting debut of this season. Past overexposure to it caused me to become rather sick and tired of the edgier sorts of anime, but for some reason I chose to ride it out even though it was immediately obvious where this episode was going. I'm actually glad I did though, because the preview makes the next episode look like something closer to what I'd be interested in. It still may not be, but I'll have to tune in again to find out for sure.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
So someone is trying to use logic and real world science to an anime* about vampires, eh? And getting angry because real world doesn't work like that?
Not sure if serious or...

* you can use it for every other media.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
^MaxSouth has a tendency of declaring a show he does't like is stupid because it's not being 100% realistic by his own standards. Even if the show in question is about vampires and the apocalypse. He apparently has the last say on how the world post virus apocalypse and vampire invasion will be. I don't really get why people keep responding when he makes this sort of posts, when all discussions with him end up going in circles ad eternum.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Good episode overall. spoiler[This one imo is better than the previous as it established a friendship between Yoichi and Yuu. Also, Hiiragi has quite an amusing personality just based on her on-screen debut.]

And as for the action, I thought it was decent. OP/ED songs are good as well too. Looking forward to more for sure now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Yuichiro in school].
Looks like he isn't a fan of spoiler[school] at all.
Guess his life was very much different before.
He does need to be more open though..
So he managed to spoiler[make a friend] through unusual circumstances.
spoiler[Yoichi seems like a nice kid & shares a similar past with Yuichiro.
Sudden vampire attack was just what our MC needed.]

Things should get even more interesting next time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15